Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

fearlessfrog, Michael Abrash would not approve. Valve is pursing a whole nother level of immersion with VIVE. Watch this video through to get an idea of their ambition.

from 42m10s

I agree that hacks will be pretty cool but I don't think that hack qualifies as the kind of experience Abrash would describe as "Presence".

You do know that Michael works for Facebook now and that was the Facebook Oculus talk at the Facebook Dev conf, F8? I'm confused what you mean I guess.

Anyway, my point wasn't really on 'picking the best vendor', it was more that things will take a few years to sort out still and that integrating physical bits (or real rooms, or steering wheels etc) is something that will get solved in some form. The physical scanning of your room/desk/controllers with Lighthouse adds something to that I think.

Edited by fearlessfrog

The concept of tactile/haptic feedback would completely replace the need of "physical" switches, if they can perfect it.

Think about it. You can "see"your hands and arms in the virtual cockpit, precisely tracking each finger to the fingertip with Control VR. Now when you see your virtual finger "touch" a switch in the virtual cockpit, you could "feel" it through haptic feedback. First technologies already manage this, concepts from wire cord resistance to electric induced sensing look promising at least. Not that I say it will be there next year, but the foundation is already available, it seems.

Only issue I still see is, precise tracking over long time and with fast movements (yet control VR looks promising here, also). And for haptic feedback the sense of surface differences might be a challenge, yet it won't be necessary for most applications I guess.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

There is a core of VR true believers at Valve and Facebookulus.

The word of Abrash is with Valve and so he went where he was needed next, which was Occulus after the Facebook acquisition. I'm sure he left Valve with blessings and good wishes.

I'm not joking when I say there is a bit of missionary zeal about this stuff; and Abrash is a lot like the Steve Jobs of VR now.

In my opinion the technology that best pairs with physical pits is castAR. All you have to do is to cover all the area that corresponds to the glass of the cockpit with the reflective material and magically you have a stereoscopic view of the outside world in all directions which is rendered accordingly to your head position and orientation, while keeping the real world in sight (your hands, your nice cockpit, the so often mentioned beer, whatever).

In my opinion the technology that best pairs with physical pits is castAR. All you have to do is to cover all the area that corresponds to the glass of the cockpit with the reflective material and magically you have a stereoscopic view of the outside world in all directions which is rendered accordingly to your head position and orientation, while keeping the real world in sight (your hands, your nice cockpit, the so often mentioned beer, whatever).

It seems like a nice fit, but I'm reserving judgement until I see what it really looks like when they deliver it to me.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I was surprised that most of Abrash's brain/eye revelations are common knowledge things that have been taught in first year art classes for over 50 years. Facebook marketing for the masses, I guess.
I don't think he is presenting them as revelations, but as a reminder. Perceived reality is not reality. Just a point on his talk, but presented in a spectacular way.

And yes, Facebook marketing :D

Me too. I am not buying anything until reviews are in. Company marketing/hype is just that. Hype. Nothing Abrash, Luckey, Carmack or Newell say will influence my decision. The whole proof will be in the pudding.

Well, I did buy, in a manner of speaking, since I backed their kickstarter. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Undoubtedly this or similar AR tech is best for physical pits. I'm worried about the FOV though. Waiting to see what's released.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I can't use a 2d monitor anymore... when I do it seems so lame trying to twist my neck around with track IR. I had and built full pits as well and VR really opens up a new way of simming and training. I use my DK2 to practice emer procedures for the b206, works awesome. Even the military training devices kind of suck ( unless you're in the real aircraft), so I use my own and it puts me way ahead of my peers. Vr is good and will only get better/more accepted down the road.

Edited by Flim

Physical pit does not give you any sense of flight. Something Vr does very well. Sorry but seeing most pit builders around here build a uber pit with uber amounts of switches only to use them with a pc monitor is a joke. I thought a 55 inch with my pit was epic in 3d, it doesn't even scratch the surface to what vr adds to my pit. Everybody will have their preferences I just recently changed mine.

On the other hand, OLED improvements could give rise to wrap around screens like those used in real simulators. Marry that with the pit, and it would be the ultimate experience. The way technology is advancing, probably not *that* far away.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I think it will be quite sometime before we will have AR good enough for combat flight sims.

It will also be quite sometime before we have VR that equals the visual quality of a good monitor. Abrash himself says that VR will have to be 16K per eye before it equals a good monitor, because the eye is so close to the display. That said, even at 2K per eye VR headset will have far more immersion, and 3D depth than any 3D monitor, TrackIR solution. You can still see that your in a room in your house with a monitor, while a VR headset removes all outside influences, and immerses you into the game. BUT VR won't be perfect for probably more than a few consumer versions.

I think it will be quite sometime before we will have AR good enough for combat flight sims.

It will also be quite sometime before we have VR that equals the visual quality of a good monitor. Abrash himself says that VR will have to be 16K per eye before it equals a good monitor, because the eye is so close to the display. That said, even at 2K per eye VR headset will have far more immersion, and 3D depth than any 3D monitor, TrackIR solution. You can still see that your in a room in your house with a monitor, while a VR headset removes all outside influences, and immerses you into the game. BUT VR won't be perfect for probably more than a few consumer versions.

Totally agree, right now with the rift dk2 it's simply enjoy the amazing immersion and advantages of that or enjoy the cleaner graphics and less immersion on a 2d/3d monitor. I find myself switching back and forth between what is in my signature. It's so ridiculously hard to go back to a 2d3d screen after flying in the rift.

I cannot wait for the cv1 and what the vive will bring to table. Just that jump to a higher resolution and one screen per eye will make a huge difference. In the mean time ED needs to enable down sampling for dcs world like Elite Dangerous has for their VR mode.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• 3 weeks later...
If both eyes saw both screens then you'd be right of course, but they don't. Each eye can only see one and so the screens are not additive.

Yes and no... Even if you are only watching the same thing but you watch with two eyes you get more resolution. There is of course no more resolution in the screen but your brain will see more resolution with two eyes rather than one.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly is that because you are now using binocular vision you are not looking at two images the same. Each eye is looking at a different image with information the other one doesnt have, there is a major overlap where the image is the same.

HTC Vive VR developer edition available

Just wanted to ask if ED had any plans to support, or is looking into, the Vive VR headset from HTC/Valve. Valve will be selecting developers to receive the HTC Vive development kit for free.

Could somebody from ED and/or Fighter Collection comment on this?

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

• 4 weeks later...

I think ED already has their hands full completing DCS World2, EDGE, and Rift support. I'm sure they will take a look at supporting Vive when they have time, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Vive hasn't released their prototype to developers yet, but it should happen fairly soon. Vive will probably announce a number of software developers supporting their hardware at E3, but I doubt there will be any flight sims in the early mix.

Vive hasn't released their prototype to developers yet...

They did release it, actually. It's free as well... as long as you're a bonafide developer...

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

They did release it, actually. It's free as well... as long as you're a bonafide developer...

Not yet they haven't. Maybe by the summer. It will only give most developers a few months to implement their software for Vive, if they manage to release their hardware this November.

Valve: HTC Vive Developer Edition to Ship ‘Very, Very Soon’

http://vrfocus.com/archives/15260/valve-htc-vive-developer-edition-to-ship-very-very-soon/

"Late last month saw Valve launch a sign-ups for the Developer Edition of the HTC Vive virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD). Studios are currently able to apply for free kits by describing their projects. Valve will then be selecting successful applicants and distributing developer edition kits throughout summer 2015. Many had hoped that the first of these devices would be showcased by now but Valve itself has recently reassured that they will be shipping ‘very, very soon’."

Maybe you should ask Valve/HTC if Vive is compatible to OculusRift and TrackIR/FreeTrack? ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You would suspect ED will want to make sure DCS2 is compatible with all of the big players in VR, but you may see them concentrate on just the rift at first. I very much doubt the Vive will be ignored, it seems like it is going to be very strong competition against the rift and will no doubt steal some of its potential customer base, many of which will no doubt be DCS players.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]