Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

From a strict business perspective, how many customers that bought a Vive will buy DCS Modules because they have a Vive now? On the other hand,how many DCS owners will chose the Oculus Rift, as it is supported by their favorite flightsim?

Adopting SDKs of all major VR solutions is effort and resource usage on EDs money.

So the logical question is, what could HTC/Valve offer ED so DCS can help Valve to sell their Hardware?

I know, more like the devil's advocate here, but it seems to be a valid point of view, as ED will provide the Sim/Game that is likely to help HTC/Valve here, rather than the Vive help sales of DCS...

EDIT: maybe Valve can offer ED more revenue on DCS sales on Steam to give an incentive? Each sold module on Steam could help fund the Vive support/implementation in DCS in return?

Valve could advertise Vive with a "supported by the most professional military flight Sim available" badge! ;)

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

In theory yes, but still there needs to be somebody to do it. From a business perspective the question remains how many more sales the effort generates.

The dual screen adaption shouldn't be that hard, yet I don't know how much effort the different head tracking/sensor solutions need.

I guess ED will support the Vive eventually, but not necessarily to "make money". When they have spare resources in that area, or to see if Vive is "better" than Oculus Rift maybe?

The whole point is, what you get out of the additional effort, other than helping HTC/Valve to sell the Vive?

EDIT: think of it as the current electric car concepts. I build another e-car with a specific power coupling for charging. Now, all gas stations need to support not only Tesla power couplings, but mine in addition, or they would be foolish?

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

In theory yes, but still there needs to be somebody to do it. From a business perspective the question remains how many more sales the effort generates.

The dual screen adaption shouldn't be that hard, yet I don't know how much effort the different head tracking/sensor solutions need.

I guess ED will support the Vive eventually, but not necessarily to "make money". When they have spare resources in that area, or to see if Vive is "better" than Oculus Rift maybe?

The whole point is, what you get out of the additional effort, other than helping HTC/Valve to sell the Vive?

The point of view is nevertheless logical, but we have to take the marketshare into consideration. In the current world of video games where SEGA gets mad on Alien: Isolation for selling only 2+ million copies, I would not expect HTC and Valve to get thrilled by the idea of a niche market product such as DCS to be the "system seller".

For us DCS is a dream come true, for an average gamer, it is an overly serious product behind a high wall of manuals and learning curve :)

TrailBlazer

I'm sure DCS will eventually look at implementing Vive support, but they are currently being killed in the forums for DCS World 2 and EDGE delays, so I doubt they will allocate any manhours to Vive support, until EDGE with Oculus support is released. I know that Oculus has been working with DCS for sometime, and wonder if they have given DCS some financial and/or manpower support that might give DCS pause to looking at implementing Vive until the Rift has been released? Speculation keeps the forums lively. :)

I seriously doubt people whining in the forums will dictate wether they have vive support at release or in future. I'm pretty sure at release it will just be oculus rift

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I seriously doubt people whining in the forums

forum whiners.

Did I miss something? Who is whining? We're on a public forum having a discussion guys. The Vive is an exciting prospect, it has the potential to be a rift beater, of course people are going to wonder whether DCS will support it.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Did I miss something? Who is whining? We're on a public forum having a discussion guys. The Vive is an exciting prospect, it has the potential to be a rift beater, of course people are going to wonder whether DCS will support it.

It's a generalization

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Agreed. I also doubt they make decisions based on forum whiners. If they do, they are not smart.

Until someone from DCS announces, no one knows anything. I could guess DCS is working round the clock with OR, and OR is pumping some of their billions into DCS and it is OR's number one developer, but unless I work for DCS or OR, I would know nothing. We won't know anything until someone at DCS spills the beans.

Of course we don't know. Forums are mostly full of speculation, which isn't a problem, just like your statement that DCS will quickly have Vive support because its apparently easy, and copies of DCS are sold on steam. Its just that some speculation is based on more logic than others.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the latest Vive prototype has a physical IPD adjustment that not only moves the lenses, but the displays aswell. That should make the adjustment work much better than having to adjust the software of a single display to accommodate the new lens positions.

New Kickstarter for a VR Headset including eye tracking so realistic depth perception and focal adjustment can be realized...

And a similar technology as an available upgrade for the Oculus Rift DK2

http://www.smivision.com/en/gaze-and-eye-tracking-systems/products/eye-tracking-hmd-upgrade.html

Shagrat

When I saw the Vive controllers my thought was that they were intentionally simple reference designs. I think Valve is deliberately leaving the door open for third parties to make better designs.

I have watched interviews with the Lighthouse developer and he said that Valve wanted third parties to use the Lighthouse technology. I also watched a panel discussion where lighthouse tracking was discussed - although hand tracking always gets the attention it was suggested on the panel that putting lighthouse tracking on keyboards, mice and joysticks would have a lot of utility.

While it is too early to say if we can and or will support it, we did get a couple of Vive dev kits today.

When there is news on this front, I'll pop in with an update.

Awesome! Thanks for the info Wags!

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

While it is too early to say if we can and or will support it, we did get a couple of Vive dev kits today.

Cool, be sure to let us know how you get on with them please. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Do you also have an Oculus Crescent Bay prototype ,or are you still using the old Oculus DK2 prototype.

Sweet! I planned on getting the Vive and Oculus to compare the two. Vive is still going to be out first? So it would be great to have DCS support right away as that's the first game I want to test the Vive with! Hope the res is high enough to be useful with DCS, I'm sure the tracking will be great with the system they are using.

starvr looks awesome ( http://www.starvr.com ). But i think it will be a highend solution for a highend price and they will have big difficults to establish against oculusvr(facebook) and Valve/HTC on the market.

Well i think the real VR breakthrough will come with the second generation of consumer vr devices, the current upcoming devices have very fragmented feature sets, the second generation will bring them all together in one device.

Edited by tobaschi

Hell frigging yeah!!! Key word being a couple of kits!!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

odd thing is, I just switched Cell Phone providers and got a QHD Note 4.

Now... I wonder what I can use to broadcast mydesktop to my phone screen :)

as the Note4 has Samsung's GearVR

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

odd thing is, I just switched Cell Phone providers and got a QHD Note 4.

Now... I wonder what I can use to broadcast mydesktop to my phone screen :)

as the Note4 has Samsung's GearVR

i think for DCS the deplay will kill you