Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

The original post was edited - because of what Wags said. The original quote in the post said "in the video, Wags used Vive controller to interact....." To which Wags replied.

And there was a note about what was included in the combined map in 2.5 I'm assuming that's what the Fallon conversation was about.

Edited by hansangb
Two -> to

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

ah ok i guess that makes more sense then.

i think there was a very recent YouTube video (in the last week or so) where i thought he was using the Vive or at least said it was going to be working. That the next VR related update wont be Rift specific and that the VR controls, the mouse UI has been improved... which i think is all good news. especially if it comes with more optimizations as i cant get a high enough frame rate yet to use VR.. (partially due to my GPU i know)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

The 'Select' is just those prick and mortor stores have Demo units setup. The blob post says all of these retailers will be taking orders and shipping.. maybe some of those "select" will also try and carry stock on hand, but that said, HTC is currently shipping pretty much world wide with only about a 2-3 day lead time on orders placed from their site.

"as of June 7th, all Vive systems purchased on http://www.vive.com will ship within 2-3 business days of purchase"

Source: http://blog.htcvive.com/us/2016/06/updates-vive-availability-and-more/

So if you wanted one, you can pretty much get it now.. i think Rift orders are still set for August delivery for the next batch for those that want that unit instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering a vive to fly DCS. Would you recommend it ? I have a descent rig : a liquid cooled i7 5930K OC at 4.5Ghz and a geforce 1080 (just to summarise it). I get excellent fps on my 4K display with medium/ high settings. Would only notice dips at fps 40 in extreme situations such a weather over Las Vegas or a heavy multi player session.

Reading some of the posts I get the impression that DCS VR is still a slide show with the cockpit gauges and HUD difficult to read. Also vive seems to lag behind the rift (performance wise): is it because ED first starting optimizing the occulus hardware due to the DKs ? Will that change in the future?

Thanks a lot for your insight.

Edited by fulcrum_64th

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering a vive to fly DCS. Would you recommend it ? I have a descent rig : a liquid cooled i7 5930K OC at 4.5Ghz and a geforce 1080 (just to summarise it). I get excellent fps on my 4K display with medium/ high settings. Would only notice dips at fps 40 in extreme situations such a weather over Las Vegas or a heavy multi player session.

Reading some of the posts I get the impression that DCS VR is still a slide show with the cockpit gauges and HUD difficult to read. Also vive seems to lag behind the rift (performance wise): is it because ED first starting optimizing the occulus hardware due to the DKs ? Will that change in the future?

I would definitely recommend it. The Vive experience more than makes up for the faults. My biggest fps problems are around airports. Especially in multiplayer when a lot off AAA is going off. I don't believe a PC exists that can run DCS smooth all the time but you will be good for other games. I recommend The Brookhaven Experiment, Audioshield, Project Cars and The Lab. The games that utilize the controllers make it stand ahead of the Oculus in my opinion.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

i would agree, the Vive has been wonderful, while my GPU cant really handle the not fully optimized DCS World at this point, it does to everything else pretty well. Additionally, while i originally figured the 'room scale' was a feature i would not likely use as most of my interested were in sitting based sims.. i quickly found that many of these other games were fun for me and my family..

Many people have very good experience with the Vive, but i think part of what you say is true in that the little VR optimization so far has been with the Rift. As i understand, only recently has ED started working with the Vive. In the last week or two did Matt put out a video on either his youtube channel or the DCS channel, showing a lot of the new optimizations, better UI with the mouse, and specifically mentioned Vive support. We likely wont see these until at least 2.5, is my guess.

If you want it "now", then the vive is the way to go, as the rift still has a long delay.

If you prefer to save the money, are able to wait, and know for sure you will not be doing anything other thin sitting/standing games, the rift could be a good option. the technical details of the screen and stuff are pretty much the same, how ever the lenses on the rift are a bit better in that they give a larger sweet spot, something i have noticed can occasionally become noticeable in the Vive (the smaller sweet spot), but its more of an occasional annoyance than a real "issue". The Vive really gives he most VR Options/flexibility. While hardware wise both the headsets are very similar there are some software differences to each, but to most, and in general there performance for a properly built game is very similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

..The games that utilize the controllers make it stand ahead of the Oculus in my opinion.

Spot on!

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

Hello,

If you primarily play DCS, than Rift is a better choice as of today. The controllers aren't used by DCS, the front camera doesn't work for looking at physical switch boxes, and Rift is better optimized (smoother) in DCS.

You have to take it on faith that ED will optimize Vive's experience down the road (which I think they will)

Room tracking doesn't really come into play for DCS so again, it comes down to what games do you want to play. There have been many threads about Rift v Vive.

THe controller tracking is pretty sick though! awesome!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, as far as room tracking goes, you are right it's not really important for the flying part. However, I have great fun stepping out of the plane and walking around it ;-) Looks beautiful...

Here it would be great if at some later point, DCS would support some kind of teleporting with the controllers (like in many other VIve VR games). But I guess there are other more important features which need to be addressed before.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

If you primarily play DCS, than Rift is a better choice as of today. The controllers aren't used by DCS, the front camera doesn't work for looking at physical switch boxes, and Rift is better optimized (smoother) in DCS.

You have to take it on faith that ED will optimize Vive's experience down the road (which I think they will)

Room tracking doesn't really come into play for DCS so again, it comes down to what games do you want to play. There have been many threads about Rift v Vive.

THe controller tracking is pretty sick though! awesome!

+1. Most flight sim devs, and users with both headsets prefer the Rifts comfort, display quality, SDK pixel density slider, and ATW software. The Vive systems is still a very good choice, as people can enjoy very immersive roomscale games right now. BUT I think there will be some secret Vive buyers remorse when the Rift releases the more refined Touch controllers and all the controller game software they've been investing in for the last few years.

• Like 1

Although I still prefer the Vive I really liked the Rift when I tried it, so imho there's no bad choice. But Hardware aside, there are also ethical considerations a lot of us cannot ignore.

Oculus is doing everything it can to hurt the VR industry for short term profits and is trying to 'bribe' many developers into dropping Vive support in favor of an Oculus exclusivity. Meanwhile HTC/Steam are doing everything they can to offer and support every VR Headsets.

I know a lot of people don't care for that, feel that doesn't concern them or that this is just normal business. But that's something many people cannot stand.

Anyone curious about it should check both Oculus and/or Vive reddit boards for exemple. People should be aware of the kind of company they're supporting as everyone's choice is helping steering the nascent VR market in very different directions. If they don't care it's fine, but they should do so while being informed.

I'm really happy and proud of Eagle Dynamics that support both headsets, that assures me they have VR and their community as a whole best interests in mind.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BUT I think there will be some secret Vive buyers remorse when the Rift releases the more refined Touch controllers and all the controller game software they've been investing in for the last few years.

Unfortunately the Rift controllers doesn't uses the optical tracking, but the gyros, so they are nowhere precise like the Rift ones... they can still fun for the average uses tho.

Also the full room scale provided by the lighting station of the Vive is pretty different than the Rift single cam.

A lot of people have (and are) cancelling their Rift order for the Vive because of this... but it's not that would interest a DCS player (assuming you're playing DCS only..).

Also the attempt of Rift to buy any developer out there (exclusives) to kill the competitors is the worst anti-consumer practice you can adopt today, and any company trying to do this should be ignored with their products, it's a cancer for the videogamers. I would invite anyone to not purchase any exclusive Rift title, we do not need a VR segregation.

Edited by npole

I've been an Oculus supporter before it was even on kickstarter.... bought DK1 in kickstarter #132, 2 dk2's and received the free CV1, but sold it for double and a half to build a new computer. Can't complain about that.... but facebook is greedy and will take away from VR to control it, so... I bought a Vive. Ya, it's heavier and more like a Dk2, but having full motion and haptic controllers is insane. My wife played Dk2 and she thought it was cool, but never asked to play it. Last night, she specifically asked, can I play the bow & arrow game in the lab? That was a first in 15 years...it's that compelling ( she said it was exercising that is fun), I agree to the workout side of it! The haptic feedback in the controllers is spot on and most people don't talk about it, but it's awesome. I have a hard time supporting the way Facebook Oculus is trying to run the show and pay off developers to make exclusives.... and their logistics sucks!!!

Edited by Flim

Anyone curious about it should check both Oculus and/or Vive reddit boards for exemple.

I was wondering whether to post about that here, glad you did it.

It's a very sad state of affairs indeed. I don't know who makes these calls at Oculus (Facebook?) but they seriously underestimate the pcmasterrace fury and backlash their moves are generating.

Anyway, back on topic! :)

I demoed the Vive to a bunch of friends last weekend and they were completely blown away by DCS.

Out of 3, one was hit by motion sickness (pretty sensitive to it IRL too), one felt it but was generally okay (stayed in there for as long as he could and stated he will buy one) and one of them was unaffected. They tried flying the P-51 and replays in the Huey, btw.

As a sidenote, they also loved roomscale and all of them said this is impossible to judge without experiencing it first.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Unfortunately the Rift controllers doesn't uses the optical tracking, but the gyros, so they are nowhere precise like the Rift ones... they can still fun for the average uses tho.

Also the full room scale provided by the lighting station of the Vive is pretty different than the Rift single cam.

A lot of people have (and are) cancelling their Rift order for the Vive because of this... but it's not that would interest a DCS player (assuming you're playing DCS only..).

Also the attempt of Rift to buy any developer out there (exclusives) to kill the competitors is the worst anti-consumer practice you can adopt today, and any company trying to do this should be ignored with their products, it's a cancer for the videogamers. I would invite anyone to not purchase any exclusive Rift title, we do not need a VR segregation.

The Rift controllers will use TWO external camera trackers, and most users see little difference in the Tracking between the Vive lasers, and Rift optical trackers.

From the beginning Oculus understood that VR hardware was worthless without the necessary VR software. Oculus was investing millions of dollars in software development while Vive was spending zero until very recently. Not to mention that most of the software Oculus financed will work with Vive headsets aswell. It was so very easy for Vive to suggest that all content should run on all VR headsets when they weren't investing anything into VR software for quite sometime. Condemning Oculus for having a couple of exclusive titles for a short while is very short sited. One minute the Facebook haters say that their VR content is full of spyware, and then get p*ssed when they can't access some of it.

Oculus was investing millions of dollars in software development while Vive was spending zero until very recently.

Nope. Don't spread false information. Both Valve and HTC funded software from the beginning, but they are not locking that software behind walled garden.

http://www.roadtovr.com/valves-chet-faliszek-on-htc-vive-pre-content-showcase-surprises-and-ninja-cats/

We want VR to succeed, that’s super important for us. But more important than that is, that we want to make sure that developers don’t get burned. We’re trying to do everything we can for them. We’re [Valve] funding development as well, I know HTC is as well. You couldn’t guess who we are as we don’t think they should be exclusive to our hardware.

The Rift controllers will use TWO external camera trackers, and most users see little difference in the Tracking between the Vive lasers, and Rift optical trackers.

From the beginning Oculus understood that VR hardware was worthless without the necessary VR software. Oculus was investing millions of dollars in software development while Vive was spending zero until very recently. Not to mention that most of the software Oculus financed will work with Vive headsets aswell. It was so very easy for Vive to suggest that all content should run on all VR headsets when they weren't investing anything into VR software for quite sometime. Condemning Oculus for having a couple of exclusive titles for a short while is very short sited. One minute the Facebook haters say that their VR content is full of spyware, and then get p*ssed when they can't access some of it.

I would suggest you get up to date with the facts you seem to base your opinion on. Check Oculus or Vive subreddits, Steam or Oculus forums, various VR game forums or specialized press articles. Well, check the Internet. :thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They are designed to be placed in front, look at the E3 setups: with all those games demoed, you will lose the tracking if you try to turn 180° ... and in fact all those games are "facing front" experiences. With the rift you can move in a whole room, no matter of your position.

Oculus come out with a inferior product (even inferior than the OSVR), and they started to use the money to buy the developers out there (ALL of them have been reached by Oculus, proposing to remove the VIVE support to offer a timed exclusive for the Rift). How do you call this?

They have also closed their platform (Oculus Home) to the other HMD's, so if you own a VIVE or a OSVR you cannot access to the games purchased there. Imagine Valve doing the same: how you would react if they will make the Rift not working with all the Steam titles? Will you be happy? I guess not...

So yes, Oculus, and FB in general is the cancer of the VR, and I hope they will fail.. since we don't need another console war and a bunch of exclusives, it will only bad for all of us.. risking to be forced to purchase TWO headsets (that are expensive as hell..) to play all the available games.

it might be best to keep the conversation focused on the hardware, specifically the Vive (in this thread) and its relation to DCS, and not get into the politics behind the Rift or vive as i really dont want to see this thread get locked, its also not very productive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it might be best to keep the conversation focused on the hardware, specifically the Vive (in this thread) and its relation to DCS, and not get into the politics behind the Rift or vive as i really dont want to see this thread get locked, its also not very productive

I would normally agree, but considering what's happening and the damage FB is doing to this new users experience, it's worth it IMO.

Remaining in topic of course, because after all we're talking about VR, not about potatoes.

This is not "politic" btw, this is a serious concrete issue that should be handled today by using any channel in our power, or it will be too late.

The way a company runs and handle its product and userbase is as important as the product itself, especially considering that's what is defining the VR foundations of tomorrow's VR landscape we'll all be evolving in.

I don't believe exchanging opinions on the matter is counter-productive or off topic, many people do take these things into consideration when making a VR HMD choice and I know a few people personally that genuinely think the Rift is the best unit for DCS yet they go for the Vive because of the way Oculus are handling things.

That's, for some people, just as important as pixel density or a bigger FOV. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very well said!

The way a company runs and handle its product and userbase is as important as the product itself, especially considering that's what is defining the VR foundations of tomorrow's VR landscape we'll all be evolving in.

I don't believe exchanging opinions on the matter is counter-productive or off topic, many people do take these things into consideration when making a VR HMD choice and I know a few people personally that genuinely think the Rift is the best unit for DCS yet they go for the Vive because of the way Oculus are handling things.

That's, for some people, just as important as pixel density or a bigger FOV. :joystick:

I would suggest you get up to date with the facts you seem to base your opinion on. Check Oculus or Vive subreddits, Steam or Oculus forums, various VR game forums or specialized press articles. Well, check the Internet. :thumbup:

You've got to be kidding. The last thing most forum users want to understand is facts, especially when it doesn't suit their agenda. Most of the forums are dominated by the "Sky is Falling" types, who think Oculus having a few exclusives is going to kill Oculus, and VR in general.