Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

..is like comparing a Volkswagen to Porsche.

Same things isn't it :smilewink: ??

Seriously though, I'm with you on that theory. I've not tried a Leap Motion sensor but somehow am hesitant to buy one purely because of the concern that tracking may be terrible.

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

The fact that there is a working 3D cursor (aka the VIVE GLOVE) means that anything that can emulate a Vive wand could be integrated.

There are Github repos with working examples of emulating wands with other peripherals. This is one of the blessings of OpenVR/SteamVR.

For reasons :( I only have a CA enabled at the moment (and no Vive Glove in CA) and my other modules are not on the SSD so can anyone tell me which modules have the Vive glove enabled in them?

Thanks for reporting on the hands/gloves. Which modules support the hands at this point? In 1.5xx ...

Tested it this morning in all modules except the BF-109 and FW-190... the glove shows up in all aircraft and helicopter modules except FC3 AC. That makes sense since they don't have clickable cockpits.

When I switched slots between Non-FC3 AC/Helos and FC3 Birds in a training area map I have the glove would disappear an instant after warping into the FC3 bird.

So the glove is aircraft agnostic it appears as long as it has clickable cockpit functionality.

I have a leap motion but, as noted already in this thread.... no one has written the integration software code yet for it to function with DCS World (that I know of). Other companies (not all inclusive) working on haptic gloves that I've seen on the internet are "Manus-Vr" and "Gloveonevr". No, I don't own stock nor am I a dev in either company... :music_whistling: ... though I probably should be... :smilewink:

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

Thanks Aldo appreciate the info. I will find some SSD space (somehow) and install a module and try out some emulation options when I get a chance.

Might use the KA-50.

For Leap have you tried this LM driver for SteamVR. I googled for guides and videos of driver in action. Found this -> Leap motion for steamVR. I don't have Leap so I can't try it myself but I will be trying other IMU stuff for kicks myself.

Thanks for the link vicx... I'll see if I can check that out in the next few days and report back on results.

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

Quick Leap Motion Test with Vive

Thanks for the link vicx... I'll see if I can check that out in the next few days and report back on results.

Taking a quick look at using the Leap Motion with the Vive this morning.

Vive_SteamVR_Leap_Motion_F-5E_160727.thumb.jpg.e8ba4bf7c2333f35afa92b28a7b89fb6.jpg

1233357526_UILayerScreeninAdjustControls_160727.thumb.jpg.85e38882bdfefe0a72c0347d977c31b8.jpg

Yes Vicx, the gloves show up as my hands. The hands are not functional with the Steam Interface other than for position. the right hand is still upside down and they get "wonky" quick. Again.. about a 10 minute test in the F-5E for a quick impression.

I"ll have to take a look at the SDK and see if something can be mapped to the new UI Layer screen based on hand/finger motion... or something else since the Leap can see my hands and finger motion.. even if they are not shown yet as moving on the gloved hands.

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Just quick question. I do apologize if already was addressed but i didn't find answer here (wasn't really keen on going through 124 pages ...).

I'm thinking about getting VIVE for DCS but I'm not really interested in any kind of 'controllers' usage that comes with set or any other VR experience that you could do in your room.

Can you just use headset itself (plug it and use it) or do you have to set all those cameras around room etc?

Regards

You do have to set the light boxes (I use just one and it seems great) but you have to do that with the Oculus as well. It's just that the Oculus uses an IR camera.

You don't need to have/use the controllers at all. That said... If you do have them on they appear in game as two left hands :). More functionality to come as I understand.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Just quick question. I do apologize if already was addressed but i didn't find answer here (wasn't really keen on going through 124 pages ...).

I'm thinking about getting VIVE for DCS but I'm not really interested in any kind of 'controllers' usage that comes with set or any other VR experience that you could do in your room.

Can you just use headset itself (plug it and use it) or do you have to set all those cameras around room etc?

Regards

Yes, but you don't want to discount the controllers. They are pretty slick. Also, you need to connect power for the cubes used for tracking. You'll have two of those cubes. So make sure you have power in the different parts around your PC/office where you plan in flying.

For the moment, Vive doesn't support Async Time Warp which makes a big difference in DCS. So do your homework and read up on the comparison of Vive vs Rift for DCS. There are many reviews.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

hello fellow simmers,

I wanted to give my feedback about Rift vs Vive to those who are about to purchase one.

I am writing from work and I was really keen to give you my opinion about both VR headset. I will keep it very short:

First I am not a fan boy of any. In fact if I sit on the computer to play I fly only DCS, before DCS I was never interested in VR and I am a late adopter.

I bought a Vive back in June, in germany it costs around 950€, that's more than 1100$. I didn't care about space usage but I still went for it as I don't want to wait to be delivered when I order. I was slightly disappointed by the DCS experience. I have a very good setup: i7 6700K, GTX 1080, 32 Gb RAM. I had without VR very solid 120 FPS and even more. With the Vive I was getting at best 45 FPS at high altitude only. But that wasn't the worst, I was very disappointed by the resolution. I simply couldnt read the gauges. I assumed that it was simply the VR technology as of today so I decided to live with it. What made me lose it, was the weight of the headset. I simply couldnt play as long as I used to with TrackIR. I quickly got uncomfortable with the weight and of the thick cable coming out of it, add to it audio headset.

Once the Oculus became available and because I ONLY play sitting I decided to sell my Vive with a loss at 750€ and bought the Oculus for roughly the same price.

Jumping from one to the other was in DCS was like day and night for me. The headset is a lot more comfortable after 30 min flying, I was getting more than 60 FPS most of the time, in cities 45! And most importantly I could read all the gauges!

I believe that the lenses and software support in DCS are better in the Rift, but this doesnt matter to me. I just care about the user experience and the Rift I have a true VR experience in DCS. I wont fly without it anymore, and I dont regret a second exchanging the Vive for the Rift.

These are my 2 cents, I hope it will help any potential buyer who would mainly use the headset in DCS.

have a nice day.

PS: I will post the same in the Rift thread.

• Like 1

Nice input but sounds like some setup errors where done with the vive. Aka not forcing the pixel density. When all said and done im banking on the vive having more features in dcs compared to rift aka the full walk around experience and others. Only time will tell.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Nice input but sounds like some setup errors where done with the vive. Aka not forcing the pixel density. When all said and done im banking on the vive having more features in dcs compared to rift aka the full walk around experience and others. Only time will tell.

I rarely tried everything before giving up 200€. I put a minimum setup and never acheaved more than 45 FPS with my quite good hardware. also the bulkiness of the Vive was a problem after half an hour for me. and yes, I couldnt increase the pixel density in DCS.

as I play only DCS i didnt need this room experience that should weigh in every decision for those who want it.

this is my pure opinion

Anyway, is not about how to make DCS work better with the Vive, but which HMD is better for simulations, and it seems the Rift is the winner.

That magical ATW... I wonder if we will ever have something equivalent running on the Vive software. When I see the low fps the Rift guys are able to fly with I got astonished :O

I think the rift, long term, is the big loser of the virtual reality competition. If ed supported the clearly superior product a little bit better, then you guys would see the rift for what it is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is not about how to make DCS work better with the Vive

No, it is about making it work equally well. Like no Rift exclusive features such as pixel density, when supersampling setting is present in most high-end VR games on the Vive.

So the cheap excuse of "SteamVR not supporting pixel density" is not true.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

I think the rift, long term, is the big loser of the virtual reality competition. If ed supported the clearly superior product a little bit better, then you guys would see the rift for what it is.

The Vive is a very good product, but its clearly not superior to the Rift especially for flight sims. I'm sure that ED would like to improve its Vive support, but the current Vive hardware and software just isn't up to the Rifts capabilities.

Its also highly unlikely Oculus will be the big loser in the virtual reality competition. So far Oculus has been investing the most resources into VR market, especially when you look at the new very high tech facility Facebook just built so they can easily design, fabricate, and test new VR systems in house. That's not to say that some smaller outfit won't develop the killer VR feature, its just not as likely.

Enough with the Vive Vs. Oculus crap.

Each needs to be implemented as well as they can be. That's what these threads are for.

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Enough with the Vive Vs. Oculus crap.

Each needs to be implemented as well as they can be. That's what these threads are for.

Agreed, comparison conversation is fine, but lets not get into subjective fanboy this is better than that, its not productive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

ED has to improve it's OpenVR support. OpenVR is going to be a very common HMD configuration target.

So why do I mention this now? Valve just announced the availability of a HDK for royalty free Lighthouse tracking systems. The HDK does currently include base stations BUT word is that base stations will be included at some point.

Will Chinese OpenVR HMDs be available before the end of the year?

What is the difference between OpenVR and SteamVR? SteamVR is OpenVR with Steam integration included. Games only need OpenVR components to support SteamVR and OpenVR HMDs. In this way it is like Android configurations on mobile. Manufacturers can deploy Android without Google integration BUT most include Google integration because that is what people want. Apps only have to written for Android to work on both types of deployment.

Yeah... current features and functionality aside I feel that Valve and HTC are going about this in exactly the right way.

It reminds me of the age old Apple vs. PC debate from way back.

Hi everyone. I am quite new to DCS but I am using it because its the best thing to play on the Vive as far as I can tell. I have a GTX 970 running with a reasonable CPU and like many of you I have experienced stuttering in the game. I put everything on low and it still stuttered, but I noticed that it only stutters when you move your head around. I put the settings back up reasonably high and it still only stutters if you move your head. If you look dead ahead and just fly the plane around it's all buttery smooth. I think the issue here is that in the game, the headset is only updating its position at around 30-50 fps whilst the actual game renderer can give more. This said, I don't have a fix, maybe there is a way of tweaking the poll rate of the headset in-game or maybe giving a particular process a higher priority? I suspect it would be quite easy to fix with a patch as the hangar area is fine even if you move your head about.

Hi everyone. I am quite new to DCS but I am using it because its the best thing to play on the Vive as far as I can tell. I have a GTX 970 running with a reasonable CPU and like many of you I have experienced stuttering in the game. I put everything on low and it still stuttered, but I noticed that it only stutters when you move your head around. I put the settings back up reasonably high and it still only stutters if you move your head. If you look dead ahead and just fly the plane around it's all buttery smooth. I think the issue here is that in the game, the headset is only updating its position at around 30-50 fps whilst the actual game renderer can give more. This said, I don't have a fix, maybe there is a way of tweaking the poll rate of the headset in-game or maybe giving a particular process a higher priority? I suspect it would be quite easy to fix with a patch as the hangar area is fine even if you move your head about.
Not an expert, but I think it's related to the low persistence technique used on the displays. It avoids the motion blur when you look around in a full persistence display, but it has the strict requirement of a newly updated frame in every display refresh (90 Hz in this case). When the view is not updated at the same rate than the display it begins to look bad (judder they call it). Reprojection alleviates the problem but only above 45 fps. Below that it begins to be unbearable.