Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Could you clarify please,

We're you getting better results with Asynchronous Reprojection on, or off?

Interleaved Reprojection on or off?

Sounds as if you got your better results with both off?

Thanks!

I ended up with both on, plus Always-On Reprojection (on developer settings section) enabled. But that's just how I finished my last short session, not something set in stone (you know, most gaming sessions are short when you are 40, too many things to do... sigh).

That was in DCS 1.5.4, where I'm at 90fps most of the time in non combat flights. Async. Reprojection seemed to smooth out any drop in fps so well that I could barely noticed when it was happening.

I had Always-On Reprojection enabled to allow the game to run at 90 despite Interleaved Reprojection being on, as this last setting seems to cap fps to 45.

Anyway, I'm still fiddling around and trying to understand what they are (I don't get what IR really does) and what's best in each situation. Yesterday I tried Elite Dangerous instead (I still had to try the new update) and I found it was better to disable Interleaved Reprojection.

Maybe this night (GMT +2) I'll have time to fly a bit again and I will test different combinations again.

Unlike what seems to be the general tendence, I still want my fps at 90 and use AR only to smooth things out when dropping below 90.

EDIT: I just found this ingenious explanation that really sums up my attitude towards AR/IR:

My explanation:

• Low framerate on a monitor looks bad and is annoying.
  • Low framerate in a VR headset literally makes you sick.

This solution is supposed to change low framerate in a VR HMD from making you sick to just being annoying again.

So you still want 90 fps if you want VR to look nice.
Edited by average_pilot
Typo - Added some content

@average_pilot,

I agree that 90fps is the key to the best experience - totally fluid movement without ghosting of close objects while at 400 knots or stuttering.

I mention a new flight simulation that was recently released that has great VR in that it does meet the 90fps with graphically complicated cockpits and photorealistic terrain with plenty of buildings, trees and other objects such as many static aircraft at airports. This sim is Aerofly FS2 and it shows that on an i7 at 4.2 Ghz with at least an Nvidia 970, that two 100 degree field-of-view scenes for stereo and at least a SuperSampling ratio of 1.5 can be completed in an 11 millisecond frame (90fps). You can see that the Aerofly FS2 image in non-VR mode is running at 250 fps or 4 msec. - so two of those views plus another 3.5 msec for supersampling just makes the 90 fps.

I mention this only to encourage the excellent developers of DCS World to strive to purify the graphic rendering loop from the complex calculations required for the aircraft systems, ATC, AI movement, weapons flight, etc and let them run on other cores. We aren't going to get much faster than 5Ghz CPUs and slightly faster Pascal video cards any time soon so I just want the graphics loop to be as fast as it can. The difference between sub 90 fps with ATW/ASW and a straight 90fps is really amazing!

Thanks

Dave

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Hello,

Do any of you try to use libreVR/Revive in order to have the zoom (and maybe better supersampling) function of oculus in DCS with the Vive ?

I did, but it's not possible. I asked the Revive author on reddit and confirmed it can't be done. The source.. who knows. I use throw away accounts on reddit.

Hello,

just got my Vive and GTX 1080 upgrading a I7 4500 CPU 16GB RAM - so hardware should not be an issue. (And yes, the resolution of the VIVE overall isn't great).

Got everything running and then - almost every second frame in DCS 1.5 and 2.0 gets dropped. Only on the simplest graphics setting it was every 5th frame dropped or so. Bad, actually no fun.

Now taking PREAR3D and Flyinside with the VIVE as a reference point - all in ultra settings, with all possible filters enabled - almost no frame drop. Phantastic immersion.

So is the DCS implementation just not up to par? Is the Ocolus implemenation better? When will it get better? ;-)

Cheers

Hope this helps.

The Video and notes do need to be updated since the SteamVR implementation of Asynchronous Reprojection.

Click here for the SteamVR Beta Update description inclusive of Asynchronous Reprojection.

Thanks DigitalEngine,

that is IT! The Beta Driver is much much better, full immersion! WoW!

--> between 37 and 45 FPS (ceiling) for an 2000 ft Las Vegas pass over at Ultra Graphics settings ;-) So the GTX 1080 has some merit haha!

Edited by Tobi1973
Update on FPS

Wow indeed. Just managed to grab the beta myself and it's really impressive how much improvement there has been in such a short time. Great work!

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

I'm VERY glad for the improved experience with VR but I'm still hoping for a zoom in the Vive :). I primarily fly the Shark and it would be really nice :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

just wanted to share my experiences with the Rift in conjunction with my (not so proper) Hardware.

First, my PC setup

AMD FX 8350

R9 380 @4GB RAM

32GB DDR2RAM

750 W PSU

used Gameversion: 2.0 latest built.

I did NOT purchased a rift, but a friend of mine who has on, did ö9visited us and thus I had a chance to test his device with my PC.

Well, what shall I say. Although a R9 380 does not officially fullfill the recommanded requirements it works wiith my PC.

The framerates are jumping between 22 und 35 Frames depending on the Area I am flying above. Huge Towns are pulling the Framerates down even more of course and the frames are not really fluently anymore.

so basically to say,

the Rift is generally working with a setup similar to my one, but it's not quite nice to play.

But other games that do not require such a powerfull hardware might work quite well, the demos that are coming with the rift are working wonderfull.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

What settings are people running for decent Vive performance these days?

I think I may be CPU-bound (I tried it with the free planes on at work a while ago with a new-ish i7 (DDR4 and an nVidia 980) and got good results.

My home rig is an i5-3750k @ 4.2Ghz with 24gb DDR3-1866 RAM and a 1080. I need to fiddle a bit more and make sure Asynch Reprojection is working, but even so, I was really hoping for more than 30FPS in Nevada.

I'm hoping some of my problem is that I turned all the eye candy on for the 1080 and now that's hurting me, so I'm curious what you folks step your settings down to in order to get good framerates. I already disabled AA and etc. I figure I'll fiddle with it when I get home tonight, but recommendations for places to start would be great.

Anyone else having trouble using the mouse in the cockpit in the latest update (1.5.5.59992)?

I've un-checked/checked the box for "use mouse" in VR tab and it changes behavior but not correctly.

Essentially the mouse cursor when the box isn't checked is how it should be. Move the mouse cursor with the VR headset.

When checked though... It will move a small amount when I move the mouse but constantly snaps back to center.

Any ideas? I didn't change any bindings or anything...

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

BUT HOLY COW THE ZOOM WORKS IN THE VIVE!!!!!

WOOOOOT!!!!!!

This will be SOOOO AWESOME in the Blackshark :)!!!!!11!1111ONE!!!1111!!!!!!

THANK YOU to whoever is responsible for this :)

I ran DCS in no VR mode and the mouse works great in cockpit there...

To clarify... The "UI" mouse is working fine. It's the cockpit mouse that's broken. If I press \ to bring up a radio menu in cockpit the mouse is usable as well as when the briefing/fly menu is up. Essentially... It works when I have the small white circle for a pointer, but the blue contextual cockpit cursor is broken.

A couple other things I've found as of I "think" the latest patch...

I can set Pixel density with the slider up to 1.4 now (was always using "renderTargetMultiplier" at 1.8 before)... As soon as I go past 1.4 it seems like all lighting/shading turns off and the gamma is doubled. I tried most settings from 1.5 up to 2.5 and all have the same problem. Very odd that 1.0-1.4 seem to work fine though...

BUT HOLY COW THE ZOOM WORKS IN THE VIVE!!!!!

WOOOOOT!!!!!!

This will be SOOOO AWESOME in the Blackshark :)!!!!!11!1111ONE!!!1111!!!!!!

THANK YOU to whoever is responsible for this :)

Confirmed! This will help so much with gun and rocket runs!

Does the VIVE Zoom really work? why didn't ED wrote it in their changelog. it is so important

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

A couple other things I've found as of I "think" the latest patch...

I can set Pixel density with the slider up to 1.4 now (was always using "renderTargetMultiplier" at 1.8 before)... As soon as I go past 1.4 it seems like all lighting/shading turns off and the gamma is doubled. I tried most settings from 1.5 up to 2.5 and all have the same problem. Very odd that 1.0-1.4 seem to work fine though...

I have never had the slider do anything with Vive before, I've been upping the pixel density manually.

Canuck, same problems here. Rolled it back. Works fine now.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Anyone else having mouse issues with the latest update on the Vive, mine is not working.

As a workaround you can leave thew comms menu open for the time being and the mouse works again. Doing this there is the white dot for clicking the comms menu open as well which you have to ignore.

Obviously not a perfect solution but not too bad until the issue is fixed.

• Like 1

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

The current build has nothing that is a must-have for me. I think I'm going to stick with what I've got until I know that the mouse and wash-out problem is fixed.

I found that with the build I have rolled back to I can ramp up the pixel density to 2.0 and it's still silky-smooth. Not so much with the new update.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

I think so.

I chose to go with the Beta but after updating the base station firmware it developed an error message so I opted out again. As far as I'm aware this didn't roll back, so yes, probably.

Either way, I'm very impressed. Before, when I was playing BS I would often have very jerky motion when I was looking around, and that was without increasing the pixel density. Now, it's spot on even with it. I was assuming that this was due to a DCS World update.

• 3 weeks later...

After a hiatus I came back to the DCS/Vive combo. Not much has changed though. I still get frequent judders and a lot of ghosting when using the reprojection options. Especially visible with lit up objects - like a car moving along the highway.

What is the current verdict on interleave vs. asynchronus reprojection? Either one? Both? Any more magic tricks to get DCS enjoyable in the Vive?

--

BTW, I've been doing some Aerofly FS 2 lately which runs like a dream in VR. Yeah - of course - it's no high fidelity combat sim as DCS but it shows how well a flight simulator can perform in VR!

Any more magic tricks to get DCS enjoyable in the Vive?

They have a VR preset for graphics settings now. Maybe, you should try that. The zoom works for VR now. Make sure you map a key for it. The pixel density setting also works. I couldn't go above 1.4 pixel density or it washes out the color.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Brightness/Gamma

Hi all I just got back into DCS.

Using a HTC Vive and I can't see much of anything in the cockpit due to it being so dark.

Is there anyway to raise the brightness or Gamma So I can see switches ect.

Turning up either through NVidea control panel does not seen to change the in game settings...but it does change the Mirror view on desktop sceen.

Thanks