Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Hi all I just got back into DCS.

Using a HTC Vive and I can't see much of anything in the cockpit due to it being so dark.

Is there anyway to raise the brightness or Gamma So I can see switches ect.

Turning up either through NVidea control panel does not seen to change the in game settings...but it does change the Mirror view on desktop sceen.

Thanks

Haven't come across the same issue i have to say. Even night flying is great. I don't think there's a separate gamma control as such. What versions are you running and which map/aircraft combo are you using?

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

So, I haven't used my vive for this in about a month... When I just played to try out the new zoom (bit weird, but okay - snap might be better) I find that now, whenever the framerate drops, the entire image disappears to the vive "Lobby" space, with a weird hovering dialog with three pause-like-looking bars. This is particularly noticeable whilst zooming, as the image flickers back and forth to this.

Any idea what is causing this/a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't flown with the Vive for a couple of weeks and fired up a mission on the UH-1 and door gunners equipped with the Gatling guns last night. That black bar thing was also visible but I think it's part of the general Vive loading screen (i.e not somethin specific to DCS). I noticed that gun barrels now start glowing red hot when you give them a good workout - a nice effect. I can't recall ever seeing that before. Does anyone know when that first appeared in the sim?

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

• 2 weeks later...

Just started working with the Vive and as others have already said, there is NO COMPARASION to playing on a 2D monitor.

I just spent they afternoon tweaking 1.5.5 for best balance of performance vs graphics and am now moving on to 2.0.4. Does anyone know whether the Pixel Density slider in DCS 2.0.4 works with the Vive or do I need to modify the Steamvr file?

tHE SLIDER WORKS NOW IN 1.5.5 AND GREATER.

Sorry for the caps :)

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Anyone else having performance issues in 1.5.6 . Same settings ,same mission but half FPS in the beta for me.

Same here. I always test the same mission and the pauses and general fps are horrible. Also the impact of enabling cockpit mirrors in fps is higher.

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/

Question for the group here:

I've been playing DCS in the Vive since late November. My first time trying out DCS and it's been an outstanding experience. Even upgraded to a 1070 just to support my new DCS habit (along with purchasing a bunch of modules during the Winter Sale :>).

I had cranked the Pixel Density to 1.4-1.5 and it made a huge difference for clarity in the sim.

However, something seems to have changed in the last week or so, and the picture quality has dropped dramatically. The "screendoor effect" is far more noticeable, everything is much muddier. Yet Pixel Density is still 1.4-1.6. I've even tried bumping up to 2.0 and don't see much if any difference.

Is there a way to tell if Pixel Density is even working? Should I be editing the SteamVR config file? Is my DCS install corrupted and should be repaired or reinstalled? Just puzzled as to what changed and how to get my Vive experience back to what it was, this is almost unplayable.

I'd first try setting PD in game to 1.0, close game, then set to 1.5 or whatever you like.

If that doesn't seem to change anything I'd set back to 1.0, close it, then set the SteamVR file to 1.5 and see if that changes anything.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

OK, I did run some more tests. Once I turned it down to 0.5, the menu was noticeably muddier, and cranking up to 2.0 didn't seem to have as bad a frame rate hit as before. So perhaps a change in the recent NVIDIA drivers, not sure. But it looks like Pixel Density is working for the Vive, just need to find new optimal settings.

Thanks for response.

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone finding the latest release? I tried 1.5.6.1938 on the weekend and was so happy to see the tutorial pointers finally working in VR. I can start to do some training again, which was always a real pain in VR (especially on something like the Mi-8 ).

Unfortunately I'm getting some unexpected hang-ups and crashes (haven't tried all the models yet, but the A10-C Flight Training Campaign bombed out on me several times).

My personal experience is that 1.5.6 is a step backwards for the Vive. There seems to be some kind of issue with the clouds that causes framerates to drop significantly. Apparently, you can manually edit missions to reduce cloud density, but I rolled back to 1.5.5 and the problem went away.

How's everyone finding the latest release?

I was on RAF662 server this weekend and thought the planes looked sharper and it was easier to pick out the type. Those missions have a lot going on but they ran smoothly. My issue has been trying to set up the Viggen controls. The UI disappears after clicking ok and I have to restart DCS. It wouldn't let me map the eject to any controls and when I turned on the Viggen flashlight the mouse pointer was lost.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

• 2 weeks later...
SteamVR Beta Updated (1487714385)

February 21 - Programmer Joe

The SteamVR Beta has been updated with the following changes.

Developer:

• Always show both Enable and Disable DirectMode buttons in Settings regardless of what mode we think the headset is in.
  • Improved quality of supersampling (applications that render much higher resolution than the recommended resolution). Added a slider to the developer settings page to set supersampling amount between 0.8x-2.4x the recommended resolution.

Does anyone know if setting supersampling in SteamVR overrides the DCS in app settings?

No, when using steamvr settings and the slider in dcs, the dcs slider supersamples the pd you use in steamvr settings...

So I'm assuming setting Super-Sampling to 1.0 and DCS pd to 1.5 should give me the results I had before the update right. So before I had a pd of 1.5.

However now the overall in-aircraft view in DCS is "soft". Defined edges have now become soft (almost as it out-of focus) and the overall visual quality overall feels like a step backwards. Playing with the super-sampling at higher settings did not really bring back the defined edges I had before. I'm not talking about anti-aliasing either. It just feels overall that everything is "soft" - textures, edges, views at a distance etc.

Keen to hear if anyone else has this experience.

Edited by zafgev

Can someone enlighten me as to how you get the VR Zoom to work with the Vive? I've tried setting a controller to the UI Layer entry but it won't allow me to use keyboard keys and all my HOTAS buttons are already mapped to other functions. Is there a way to have it respond to a custom key macro?

Ok, didnt see the new slider in the steam vr settings before...its defintly doin something ingame, but cant tell how it works together yet. But i just played a few minutes and its late here, so i give it a few tries tomorrow then...

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

Can someone enlighten me as to how you get the VR Zoom to work with the Vive? I've tried setting a controller to the UI Layer entry but it won't allow me to use keyboard keys and all my HOTAS buttons are already mapped to other functions. Is there a way to have it respond to a custom key macro?

Afaik you have to use a hotas button...at least keyboard doesnt work.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

Ok, in some cockpits I was getting locked to 30 FPS (sometimes it would go to 45), some examples are the viggens, Huey, A-10C. I messed with settings for hours to no avail, finally I found it in the vive settings called "Allow interleaved reprojection", this is what was locking my frames, I am now more in the 55-60 FPS range. Some more tweaking to do but heads up on this newer option.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Hey guys, just wanted to give some feedback using and testing many settings.

Right now my best setting was to have supersampling in Steam VR at 1.6 with Asynchronous reprojection. On DCS pixel density at 1.5.

I have tried around with changing both, keeping one fixed etc. What I found out is that one is not overlapping directly the other. If you only keep adding on the DCS one my GPU GTX1070 % of use never goes higher than 50-60% use no matter if it is 1.5 to 2.0.

When I increase the SS in SteamVR up to 1.6 I can get the GPU up to 90-87% use and off course the image in the cockpit is very clear and looking good. I keep all other settings fixed to be able to only change the two parameters above.

Would be great to hear from others how they see it?

Cheers, Luis.