Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

You will need the two base stations. They are essential.

If you are only interested in the Vive for DCS then you will not need the controllers - standard HOTAS works perfectly in the game with the Vive.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

You will need the two base stations. They are essential.

If you are only interested in the Vive for DCS then you will not need the controllers - standard HOTAS works perfectly in the game with the Vive.

Yep, the cost :greedy: !!

And you will need two lighthouses, at minimal.

While I'm quite a happy HTC Vive fanboy,

If your absolutely sure your never gonna use room scale (maybe you don't have the room) you really should consider other options because of the cost.

This year, there should be several.

There is the Samsung Odyssey available now, and it's what Wags states he uses.

Also, if you can wait, the Pimax 5K and 8 should be available this year.

I'd personally recommend these over the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift for now, because of the higher resolution, and in DCS, the low resolution of the first gen headsets is THE major drawback.

And don't forget, you will need a good system for DCS in VR. I consider my current specs (as shown below), below par for DCS World 2.5. It's good for DCS 1.5.8 in VR, but horrible for DCS 2.5 in VR.

Thanks guys,

I do not have Steam installed and have zero interest in it.

Can you tell me if I need to install Steam to have the Vive work in DCS?

Will my current modules still work if I have to use Steam ?

Do I need SteamVR for the Vive to work in DCS ?

Thanks

I currently have a Vive with a GTX1070 running AMD 8550 CPU with 24Gb or RAM and 500Gb SSD for storage. It runs fine for me but my challenge which is everyone’s challenge in VR is reading the damn labels on switch’s I currently haven’t memorized. So attacking this situation with Learning using non-VR (for all the tutorials and such) using voiceattack with VAICOM PRO (totally awesome plugin by the way for VoiceAttack) and a good kneeboarding checklist.

I agree that using high settings in VR is probably a bad idea and thought of using the preset VR settings but bumping the PD to 2.5. I might try this out later to see if it helps at all. I currently run PD of 2.0 on high settings but haven’t done any combat missions yet, so I’m sure my frame rate will go way down once I get into combat missions. Anyway just thought I’d add my 2 pennies worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

I have a similar system, and the key is the VR zoom function. Performance dropped somewhat with the new 2.5 OpenBeta, so I had to drop PD from 1.5-1.6 to 1.2-1.3. Also had to drop MSAA.

At those settings, I have VR Zoom mapped to the stick button so I'm regularly zooming in when I need to read a gauge. It works well enough, but I'll be impressed if you're able to run at PD 2.0-2.5 during combat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Samsung Odyssey from BestBuy. I get it on Saturday...if I like it and it works better than the Vive its off to eBay for the Vive. Don’t like the fact that HTC is charging $800 for the Vive Pro....I think this will kill them unless they lower the price tag.

I currently have a Vive with a GTX1070 running AMD 8550 CPU with 24Gb or RAM and 500Gb SSD for storage. It runs fine for me but my challenge which is everyone’s challenge in VR is reading the damn labels on switch’s I currently haven’t memorized. So attacking this situation with Learning using non-VR (for all the tutorials and such) using voiceattack with VAICOM PRO (totally awesome plugin by the way for VoiceAttack) and a good kneeboarding checklist.

I agree that using high settings in VR is probably a bad idea and thought of using the preset VR settings but bumping the PD to 2.5. I might try this out later to see if it helps at all. I currently run PD of 2.0 on high settings but haven’t done any combat missions yet, so I’m sure my frame rate will go way down once I get into combat missions. Anyway just thought I’d add my 2 pennies worth

2.5 x 2.5 = 6.25 times the number of pixels...

Just saying...

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

2.5 x 2.5 = 6.25 times the number of pixels...

Just saying...

It’s a bad choice to try and improve resolution like that, especially when its not going to, just only going to reduces the jaggedness I think. Anyway I bought a Samsung Odyssey so we’ll see if the increased resolution is going to do it for me.

Just discovered the SteamVR setting “Application Resolution Adjustment”. I currently have mine set to 200%. Does anyone else have theirs set higher?

Just bought a Samsung Odyssey from BestBuy. I get it on Saturday...if I like it and it works better than the Vive its off to eBay for the Vive. Don’t like the fact that HTC is charging $800 for the Vive Pro....I think this will kill them unless they lower the price tag.

I agree 100% with the above statement. Oculus Rift has already overtaken vive in sales and Steam hardware survey results primarily due to having a cheaper price tag. No way in he!! I'm paying $1K for Vive Pro.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with the above statement. Oculus Rift has already overtaken vive in sales and Steam hardware survey results primarily due to having a cheaper price tag. No way in he!! I'm paying $1K for Vive Pro.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

So after receiving my Samsung Odyssey and doing some testing with it I realized that the higher eye resolution didn’t make much of a difference in DCS at all. The results were very similar. Noticeable differences were that the halo strap on the Odyssey was a little more comfortable than the Vive w/deluxe audio strap but I kept having to pull the whole unit down because the ear muffs didn’t reach my ears oddly. Had no issue with this on in the Vive. While the Odyssey seems lighter in weight it also feels cheap and poorly made. I did not like the ipd adjustment wheel but I did like the volume control on the headset. So I return the Odyssey and will stick with the Vive until they really make some headway with that screendoor effect.

My brother already had the Vive and Oculus Rift, so it was easy for me to decide which one fit my needs (DCS World). I went with the Rift. I want more resolution, but the cpu, gpu, and VR headset all need to be matched so that the frame rates are good enough to enjoy the resolution. Right now, my 1080 GTX is barely adequate for the Rift. I hope that in a relatively short time VR resolution makes a big jump AND the cpu/gpu hardware can easily support that resolution at 90 fps or better with all the quality settings maxed out at a reasonable price. But based on the evolution of VR in price/performance, we are still another 10 years or more away from a system that satisfies my goals: pixels so small I can't see them, field of view so wide that I don't even realize I am wearing a headset, and frame rates so high that I can't detect it even when performing max roll rate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My brother already had the Vive and Oculus Rift, so it was easy for me to decide which one fit my needs (DCS World). I went with the Rift. I want more resolution, but the cpu, gpu, and VR headset all need to be matched so that the frame rates are good enough to enjoy the resolution. Right now, my 1080 GTX is barely adequate for the Rift. I hope that in a relatively short time VR resolution makes a big jump AND the cpu/gpu hardware can easily support that resolution at 90 fps or better with all the quality settings maxed out at a reasonable price. But based on the evolution of VR in price/performance, we are still another 10 years or more away from a system that satisfies my goals: pixels so small I can't see them, field of view so wide that I don't even realize I am wearing a headset, and frame rates so high that I can't detect it even when performing max roll rate.

I'm sure a GTX 1080 is just fine for the rift. If you're using DCS as your gauge, then the problem is clearly a CPU resource utilization issue in the engine. I have a 1080ti myself and get 45 FPS most the time in MP when my GPU isn't even being taxed. I only got the Ti to have more headroom for increasing pixel density, or using anti-aliasing. I could set DCS to potato mode and still end up lower than 90, which ASW then locks to 45. Campaigns are still terrible, as I was getting as low as 22 on settings I get 45 online. I would like to believe that the move to Vulkan should sort out the performance issues in VR.

I wanted to share my experience with trying to use an external mic with my HTC Vive through the use of the extra USB port on the HMD. I bought the USB extender cable and plugged it in to the extra USB port, then plugged in a lapel mic to the extender cable. I turned SteamVR on and expected the mic to work...but alas it did not. I check all kinds OS settings and BIOS settings for USB support but it still did not change the fact that it did not work. I had been using the SteamVR Beta for a long time and wondered if it was because of that. I switched from SteamVR Beta to the stable SteamVR and WALLA!!! It started working. I never would have though in a million years that that would be the problem. So just sharing in case some else has this issue.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here completed the lense swap to use the gear VR lenses in the VIve/VIve Pro? I'm curious to know if the barrel distortion correction that needs to be applied for Steam VR will apply to DCS as well.

Recently bought the pro and it's fantastic, but by all the reports, it seems the freznil lenses are holding it back.

Cheers Harp0

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

I'm interested in that answer also...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I did the swap and the barrel distortion is applied to the VR core system from what I can tell. It really is night and day different, there is not more ghost ring effect on the edges and the sweet spot is much much large. I haven't noticed any bending textures or distortions and I will not go back to the old lenses.

This is the guide I used and was super simple, but have a can of air around as I had to clean the screen twice.

Edited by DDSSTT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

I did the swap and the barrel distortion is applied to the VR core system from what I can tell. It really is night and day different, there is not more ghost ring effect on the edges and the sweet spot is much much large. I haven't noticed any bending textures or distortions and I will not go back to the old lenses.

This is the guide I used and was super simple, but have a can of air around as I had to clean the screen twice.

Sweet. Thanx DDSSTT

Cheers Harp0

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody with the Vive Pro, I found the V12 settings on this page to be the best.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837804

Instructions on how to alter the settings on the unit are below:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/86uwsf/gearvr_to_vive_lens_adapters/dwdigxa/

Cheers Harp0

• 2 months later...

Did you print these yourself or buy them? Also if bought were from? If printed Im in VA as well ill shoot you some cash for them.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, can any htc vive user can confirm if htc controllers working for clicking switches in the pit like oculus controllers does or it isnt integrated to dcs?

Asus TUF RTX 3080 10g GAMING; Intel i9 10900K; Asus B460 TUF GAMING PLUS;

2x32GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Predator RGB; SSD 1TB Samsung EVO Plus

106_47.jpg

Hi everyone, can any htc vive user can confirm if htc controllers working for clicking switches in the pit like oculus controllers does or it isnt integrated to dcs?

I can confirm that HTC Vive controllers work in DCS VR, but they are not easy to use. You have two options...either use the laser pointer style where you have to squeeze the side buttons then pull the trigger for the later pointer to operate. While using the laser pointer method a green laser is I think left click and for a right click you have to first turn the controller upside down “palm facing upwards” and do the same button combo and a blue laser should be shown. The second method is by using the virtual hands and fingers to push buttons and flip switches but it is not exact and is more likely to cause issues while flying.

I can confirm that HTC Vive controllers work in DCS VR, but they are not easy to use. You have two options...either use the laser pointer style where you have to squeeze the side buttons then pull the trigger for the later pointer to operate. While using the laser pointer method a green laser is I think left click and for a right click you have to first turn the controller upside down “palm facing upwards” and do the same button combo and a blue laser should be shown. The second method is by using the virtual hands and fingers to push buttons and flip switches but it is not exact and is more likely to cause issues while flying.

Thank you for answer, i am using rift for one tear but in that one year i had two hardware failures and i will back it (second time). So the laser method it is similar as oculus controllers, i was just afraid that isnt integrated at all in dcs. I have offer to take htc vive (not pro) now and this will help me to decide what to do, to take the third oculus in one year or to start with vive :)

106_47.jpg

@Todd1215 What about steam account, do i need it for fly dcs on vive? Can i use standlone dcs or need steam version?

106_47.jpg