Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

• ED Team
Starting to load software on my new pc. Was getting ready to

Purchase the F14 when I noticed it said “not compatible with steam”.

I have purchased the valve index, haven’t opened as yet as Im still getting things in order.

Can I run the Valve index without downloading steam? If I want to fly the F14 and others in VR on my index, do I have to go purchase them again (assuming any I gave already purchased had the same restrictions?)

Don’t want to waste any more cash if I have to go buy from the steam store instead of direct from ED.

Let me know and thanks!!

Hi

“not compatible with steam”. is just the module can not be bought on the ED Store and used on a steam account.

You will need steam to use VR, as it uses steamVR as an interface, but you do not need dcs on steam, it works with our stand alone version also.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Steam is just a storefront platform/interface for multiplayer/chat/discussions/software distribution. As a matter of fact you can launch anything via Steam including the non-steam version of DCS.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 3 weeks later...

I have been turning on steam to energize the headset, then clicking on the desktop icon to start DCS. I’m assuming that is correct?

Another question,

So if FPS is stable at 40, cockpit clear and easy to read, motion so far smooth and vision clear even when I pull up to a wingman or tanker, yet when I merge w a fighter it looks like multiple planes sliding by (think slow mouse pointer ).

Is that just low fps or is there a setting to help clean that up?

Thanks!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I have been turning on steam to energize the headset, then clicking on the desktop icon to start DCS. I’m assuming that is correct?

Another question,

So if FPS is stable at 40, cockpit clear and easy to read, motion so far smooth and vision clear even when I pull up to a wingman or tanker, yet when I merge w a fighter it looks like multiple planes sliding by (think slow mouse pointer ).

Is that just low fps or is there a setting to help clean that up?

Thanks!

That is unfortunately a byproduct of the frame rate and motion compensation. Probably no way to fix it until native frame rate can be achieved in DCS.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When opening dcs with index vr, oculus store opens automatically. Is there a known workaround?

Set oculus.exe app to run as admin.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 3 months later...
That worked. Thanks.

I looked for oculus.exe, didn't find it.

Is it the OculusClient.exe in \Oculus\Support\oculus-client\ or am I missing something here?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 4 months later...

The headset itself is amazing, the quality of the image is out standing, I have reduced steamVR to 100% and DCS PD to 1.0 and it is still a better image than my old dell visor. Can read dials and switches no problem, and spotting is really easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

Help! I'm tearing my hair out trying to settle on a choice of VR Headset. It's a nightmare going through loads of reviews and reading forum inputs, trying to form a picture of how these units really compare with others at the present time. I was looking at the HTC Vive, the Vive Pro, the Valve index and the HP Reverb (I gave up on the Pimax 5k & 8k after reading some user-feedback comments (Amazon & others) about unreliability and very poor customer support).

Then I saw your passing reference "I have just ordered the VIVE Cosmos in the sale" (your posting on 11-30-2019, 02:45 PM) and I thought "Now there's a strong recommendation!"

So please can you tell me how you arrived at that choice? What were the things that were top of your list of priorities? What things were not important? Is the Cosmos any better at interfacing than the other makes?

I saw that you were "impressed so far," but I was wondering why you opted for a medium-res unit in preference to the HP Reverb (that's the kind of thing I had in mind in my quest to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s in my search).

It would be extremely helpful if you could give me some info - even partial points - very soon because my wife has been hounding me for a decision ASAP 'cause our wedding anniversary is on Sept 4 (and it's a big one) and she wants to give me my choice as a gift (it was initially a choice between a flight in a Harvard from Goodwood, a VR headset, or a Pro Weather Station).

Thanks in anticipation ...

Rig A: (New in 2019) Custom-built: ASUS Maximus Code XI; Water-cooled i7-8700K; 32 GB RAM; 2xSSD=970 EVO 500GB; Graphics Card = EVGA RTX 2080 (FTW3 Ultra); Thrustmaster Warthog; Saitek Rudder; Tracking Headset.

Rig B: Surface Book (Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz; 16GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GPU(1GB-RAM); 500GB SSD) Saitek 35x Joystick & Throttle

Rig C: Alienware M17X-R2 (Intel Core i7 Q820 CPU@1.73GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Twin AMD HD5800 Radeon GPUs (1 GB RAM each); 500GB SSD + 500GB HD)

• ED Team
Help! I'm tearing my hair out trying to settle on a choice of VR Headset. It's a nightmare going through loads of reviews and reading forum inputs, trying to form a picture of how these units really compare with others at the present time. I was looking at the HTC Vive, the Vive Pro, the Valve index and the HP Reverb (I gave up on the Pimax 5k & 8k after reading some user-feedback comments (Amazon & others) about unreliability and very poor customer support).

Then I saw your passing reference "I have just ordered the VIVE Cosmos in the sale" (your posting on 11-30-2019, 02:45 PM) and I thought "Now there's a strong recommendation!"

So please can you tell me how you arrived at that choice? What were the things that were top of your list of priorities? What things were not important? Is the Cosmos any better at interfacing than the other makes?

I saw that you were "impressed so far," but I was wondering why you opted for a medium-res unit in preference to the HP Reverb (that's the kind of thing I had in mind in my quest to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s in my search).

It would be extremely helpful if you could give me some info - even partial points - very soon because my wife has been hounding me for a decision ASAP 'cause our wedding anniversary is on Sept 4 (and it's a big one) and she wants to give me my choice as a gift (it was initially a choice between a flight in a Harvard from Goodwood, a VR headset, or a Pro Weather Station).

Thanks in anticipation ...

Not that it will help much, but I have already pre ordered the reverb G2, hopefully will see it in September :)

When I went for the VIVE Cosmos it was the larger resolution and an adjustable IPD that made me want to try it. The headset has been great for me in DCS, hand tracking can be poor for other games but it was never a problem with me flying all of the time.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Not that it will help much, but I have already pre ordered the reverb G2, hopefully will see it in September :)

When I went for the VIVE Cosmos it was the larger resolution and an adjustable IPD that made me want to try it. The headset has been great for me in DCS, hand tracking can be poor for other games but it was never a problem with me flying all of the time.

Wow - that was swift - thanks :)

I'll have a look at the Reverb G2. What is it about it that is attractive (so much that you get a second headset)? Is it just more/bigger/better of what you got in the Cosmos?

Thanks again.

Rig A: (New in 2019) Custom-built: ASUS Maximus Code XI; Water-cooled i7-8700K; 32 GB RAM; 2xSSD=970 EVO 500GB; Graphics Card = EVGA RTX 2080 (FTW3 Ultra); Thrustmaster Warthog; Saitek Rudder; Tracking Headset.

Rig B: Surface Book (Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz; 16GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GPU(1GB-RAM); 500GB SSD) Saitek 35x Joystick & Throttle

Rig C: Alienware M17X-R2 (Intel Core i7 Q820 CPU@1.73GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Twin AMD HD5800 Radeon GPUs (1 GB RAM each); 500GB SSD + 500GB HD)

• ED Team

Again high resolution and better displays, mechanical IPD

the youtube review looks great but you will need a powerful PC for it.

Edited by BIGNEWY

• 1 month later...

Hello again BigNewy

I guess we're slightly off-topic here (it being "Vive/HTC..." topic). Is there now a continuation for Reverb G2 elsewhere? I'd like to find out what the present situation is (and where you stand on it right now). Particularly interested in why people went for the middle-man distributor ("System..." something, wasn't it) instead of HP directly.

Cheers

Again high resolution and better displays, mechanical IPD

the youtube review looks great but you will need a powerful PC for it.

Curious if you've received the G2. Looking forward to your comparison with the Vive Cosmos. (I have the Vive Cosmos as well)

:shocking:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• ED Team

Curious if you've received the G2. Looking forward to your comparison with the Vive Cosmos. (I have the Vive Cosmos as well)

:shocking:

Still waiting, last email said first week in November, fingers crossed here.

Still waiting, last email said first week in November, fingers crossed here.

Was the G1 clarity anything like that video?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

• 1 month later...
Not sure if Cosmos lens is same as Cosmos Elite. If so, then GearVR lens swap is a must. Difference in clarity is insane.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Just swapped mine out about an hour ago... took all of 15 minutes.

MASSIVE improvement to my Vive Cosmos Elite.

I got the whole kit (lenses and adapters) from Etsy.

--Arthur C Clark

ABSOLUTELY!!

Just swapped mine out about an hour ago... took all of 15 minutes.

MASSIVE improvement to my Vive Cosmos Elite.

I got the whole kit (lenses and adapters) from Etsy.

Awesome. Why to this day, they still use inferior Fresnel lens on $800 headset is mystery to me.

Awesome. Why to this day, they still use inferior Fresnel lens on $800 headset is mystery to me.

My thoughts exactly... whoever makes that decision should be job hunting :)

--Arthur C Clark

• 5 months later...

Vive Pro 2 just previewed...on sale in 3 weeks.  Pre orders start today.  5k resolution at 120hz and 120deg fov. 

Hmmm? G2 for sale...lol

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

11 minutes ago, unltd said:

Vive Pro 2 just previewed...on sale in 3 weeks.  Pre orders start today.  5k resolution at 120hz and 120deg fov. 

Hmmm? G2 for sale...lol

Saw that trailer... damnit!

--Arthur C Clark

Better sell 2 of them... 🙂

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah and I just recently got the Index kit. I knew this would happen.

Oh well if I decide to get the headset at least I already have the two base stations and Knuckles controllers for it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|