Make all modules FREE to use

FlyingHighAU

As the title says, make all of the modules free for anyone to use, BUT NOT FLY.

I believe there is something special in being in the actual cockpit. So I propose being able to get into every DCS aircraft, without owning the module, then being able to start them up and play with all of the available functionality.

But not being able to fly them, you cannot even taxi them. Call it crew chief mode or something like that.

As the title says, make all of the modules free for anyone to use, BUT NOT FLY.

I believe there is something special in being in the actual cockpit. So I propose being able to get into every DCS aircraft, without owning the module, then being able to start them up and play with all of the available functionality.

But not being able to fly them, you cannot even taxi them. Call it crew chief mode or something like that.

Not likely to happen. There's a certain amount of security in not including everything needed (like cockpit textures and data) that prevents someone from making a modification to enable flying a for-pay module.

The smaller you make that gap between non-paid module and paid module, the easier you make it for someone to bridge that gap through reverse engineering.

That's my take... and besides, the current model seems to work very well. Not much point in making everyone download all that extra data just so they can sit in the cockpit and flip switches that don't do anything.

Ummm,. NO...

there are Demo Modules...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not likely to happen. There's a certain amount of security in not including everything needed (like cockpit textures and data) that prevents someone from making a modification to enable flying a for-pay module.

The smaller you make that gap between non-paid module and paid module, the easier you make it for someone to bridge that gap through reverse engineering.

I get what you are saying, but all of the files required can already be download for free from the ED website if anyone wants to.

That's my take... and besides, the current model seems to work very well. Not much point in making everyone download all that extra data just so they can sit in the cockpit and flip switches that don't do anything.

Nobody would have to download anything extra, unless they wanted to try an extra module. They would simply download the extra module as they do now. Only difference being is that they cannot fly. So it wouldn't affect the size of the base installer.

I have to clarify, the switches would do EVERYTHING they are meant to do. The plane simply cannot be taxi'd and flown.

Ummm,. NO...

there are Demo Modules...

Yes, but consider this as demos for the modules that aren't part of the base package. It's and advert for itself.

You might have flown the two free modules and go, hmm I wonder what the other ones are like. You download the Ka-50, sit in the cockpit, do a start up, and decide it feels like a beast of a chopper. Then you suddenly have an impulse to buy it - well, everything you need is already downloaded and installed, you just need to pay and you could be flying in minutes.

Trust me, this works beautifully for games that are soley F2P.

Edited by FlyingHighAU

Interesting idea, though I'm not exactly convinced.

Some random pros and cons:

Pro:

• Much better teaser value than "just" Su-25T and TF-51
  • All functionality always available -> zero download after module activation
  • Ability to familiarize prior to purchase
  • Ability to train procedures prior to purchase
  • Ability to test basic module performance and frame rates prior to purchase

Con:

• Bloating DCS World, larger initial download
  • Heavier footprint on hard disc
  • Some players will not read the fine-print and waste everyone's time asking "Y U cant flie this thing!!!"
  • Turns Combined Arms into entirely free module (could also be a Pro, depending on perspective)
  • Module owners might feel that some of the value of their "owned" module might be taken away if everybody can sit in the cockpit, taxi, and train procedures.
  • How to define exactly what is allowed and what isn't? Can players hover taxi in helicopters? How is "flight" prevented?

My initial reaction was "bad idea", but the more thought I give it, the less reason I see against it. Then again, this would take quite a bit of work and I don't think ED has too many free resources for such a thing, so we probably won't see it happen anyway.

Interesting idea, though I'm not exactly convinced.

Some random pros and cons:

Pro:

• Much better teaser value than "just" Su-25T and TF-51
  • All functionality always available -> zero download after module activation
  • Ability to familiarize prior to purchase
  • Ability to train procedures prior to purchase
  • Ability to test basic module performance and frame rates prior to purchase

Con:

• Bloating DCS World, larger initial download
  • Heavier footprint on hard disc
  • Some players will not read the fine-print and waste everyone's time asking "Y U cant flie this thing!!!"
  • Turns Combined Arms into entirely free module (could also be a Pro, depending on perspective)
  • Module owners might feel that some of the value of their "owned" module might be taken away if everybody can sit in the cockpit, taxi, and train procedures.
  • How to define exactly what is allowed and what isn't? Can players hover taxi in helicopters? How is "flight" prevented?

My initial reaction was "bad idea", but the more thought I give it, the less reason I see against it. Then again, this would take quite a bit of work and I don't think ED has too many free resources for such a thing, so we probably won't see it happen anyway.

Hmm I didn't consider how combined arms would work, perhaps that would be one module that wouldn't be included in this free use teaser method.

I also guess you could have some text displayed on the screen saying "Please activate your piloting license to fly" so there is no confusion for new comers.

Trust me, this works beautifully for games that are soley F2P.

ROF installs do work that way, but you still can't sit in the aircraft that you don't own. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That's an interesting idea, for a way to sell a game.

I don't think ED would implement it even if hell froze over, but maybe someone some day experiments with this.

Making it so that free players can only use 1 or 2 vehicles in CA (abrams and T-90 for example) would also be interesting to see.

As an experiment in selling a video game it certainly would be interesting to see.

In FC2 i remember if you didn't buy the game but tried to play it, you'd spawn into an aircraft and an AI would start playing through the mission, you could sit in the cockpit and watch all the instruments work, just not control it.

With multiseat capacity, I think it would be cool to allow players to be a passenger or gunner on some vehicles without owning them. I know this has been suggested before since Rise of Flight works this way. Being a door gunner in the UH-1H would be very similar since all you get is a gun, but the problem with DCS is that some modules like the AH-1W would have very advanced systems available to the gunner. Unlike WW1, In some aircraft the "gunner" can basically fly the whole thing.

If DCS ever does player infantry, at least allowing the passenger role to those players is essential. (Would be nice for downed pilots too :) ) So the question is, how much of all the modules need to be available for passengers? I would say only transport aircraft! In addition to the security concerns, there is no need to fill up a dedicated ground unit player's hard disk with cockpits for things like the AH-1W or L-39. Just provide a detailed passenger compartment for transports. Additionally, I would say passengers should have access to simple weapons on transports like the door guns in the UH-1H (or maybe firing their own personal weapons), but sitting in the front seat should require "additional training" (owning the module).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think it's a good idea.

If I were to do something like that, I would instead, allow free access to the tutorials, including the interactive ones for all modules released.

Releasing the clickable cockpit wouldn't give you a taste of the real thing at all. Some people might even dislike it that they can't even taxi, especially if for some reason they were unaware of that restriction.

Without the tutorial, the player will have to learn the start up procedure and will have to look it up - you are asking too much of someone who might not know much about DCS.

Playing the tutorial that shows you how to take off and land and use the weapons systems, if the player goes through a few of those, he will have a real taste of the sim.

Edited by ironmarc

Guys, Discussion of or / Potential Discussion of Hacking DCS etc, will not be allowed to take place. If this is where the thread is gonna go, then it will be closed.

The Core of the Aircraft is integrated into DCS World, You can watch others fly it in MP or the AI fly it in Single Player, you can read reviews/watch demo videos, or wait for a sale and get it fairly cheap.

no other F2P Game I know of gives you the ability to play with PDLC/Premium content to a point and then limit you.

You either Purchase it, to use it, or you watch others use it... And I have A LOT of F2P Games.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

no other F2P Game I know of gives you the ability to play with PDLC/Premium content to a point and then limit you.

You either Purchase it, to use it, or you watch others use it... And I have A LOT of F2P Games.

Planetside 2 lets you use all paid/premium content for free but only inside the training arena with other training arena players. But of course in PS2 there are more micro-transactions, so that's probably why they did it there, because small purchases are easier to do on an impulse.

Edited by FlyingHighAU

Simple... If you wanna play, you've got to pay :thumbup:

How many work and time do you think all is need for the developers is in it for this exclusive gameplay you have. Look at the path for DCS World 2...They still not know when the first version of it wil be public release. So much time for you making to fligh. So don't whine but pay and play! :pilotfly:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

What market is this idea serving?

I don't know about others here, but I buy modules in the sale and never fly them, I just like the idea I can if I wish and because they are in the sale I don't feel like it's wasted money.

Obviously this is a western Europe take on it, I appreciate in certain areas of the world a £10 sale item is a LOT of money.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What market is this idea serving?

I don't know about others here, but I buy modules in the sale and never fly them, I just like the idea I can if I wish and because they are in the sale I don't feel like it's wasted money.

You buy modules and never fly them?

Not much to do just sit in the cockpit and enjoy?

Just a plain, bad idea. The DCS crew would be eating peanut butter sandwiches when they really deserve the steak sandwich... and I don't doubt they also have families to feed...

DCS World is free... free, mind you... what more could anyone ask for?

I'll take a different tack... gentlemen, where is the 'tip jar'? I'll ante up simply in appreciation of the hard, mind boggling work already done...

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

You buy modules and never fly them?

Not much to do just sit in the cockpit and enjoy?

I have the Huey and the Mi-8, but no rudder pedals, so I just sit in the cockpit and go "WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh BOOM!" and then fire off a celebratory burst from the door guns. ;)