How do I stop Wingman from jettisoning weapons?

skendzie

I'm playing the campaign and my wingman jettisons his weapons if someone even looks in his direction. After one run in he has zero weapons left because he/she freaks out and drops everything.

Is there anyway to prevent this or help make my wingman more useful??

Thanks in advance!

I'm playing the campaign and my wingman jettisons his weapons if someone even looks in his direction. After one run in he has zero weapons left because he/she freaks out and drops everything.

Is there anyway to prevent this or help make my wingman more useful??

Thanks in advance!

Only way I know is to edit mission, and in advanced waypoint section of Ai aircraft group place a:

Reaction to Threat: Passive only. command

This will make him only drop flares/chaff etc, and not dodge about, so it means he is more likely to be shot down, but he might as well be as the default makes him just as useless when it leaves him with no missles etc to fight with.

Otherwise their default is to drop all weapons to become more manuevorable when threatened (this is a pet peave of mine).

Regards, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

The other option is to get a bit more sophisticated in how you manage wingmen, though in some missions it doesn't work all that well.

If you're confident that you can take out all of the dangerous air defenses: Radar SAMs, IR SAMs, Gepard, Tunguska, and Shilka AAA, then you could try ordering your wingman to orbit in a safe area while you do SEAD/DEAD and then order it to join up again and hit ground targets after the threat level has been reduced.

For the Su-25T that combined with the Target My Target command can make the wingman pretty useful.

In the Su-25 campaign, I'd agree with the mission editor being the best bet. Between the aircraft capabilities and the mission design you often don't have the loiter time or precision strike capability to significantly reduce air defense threats and still have the fuel to complete the primary mission objectives.

If you're playing around with the mission editor, one thing you can do is edit the speed that your wingman flies the mission. In this case if you get there and have enough time to unload and egress, then you can use the "jump to other plane" command and take direct control of the wingman before it gets to the target area. Once you've swapped planes use the radio menu to tell your initial plane to RTB and use the wingman's plane to make a second attack run.

If you're acting as flight lead, part of your responsibility is to evaluate the mission plan and eliminate the crazy/stupid/suicidal elements as much as possible. That means considering the limitations of you pilots and your equipment. In that sense, altering the mission profile and loadouts of friendly planes is more a matter of being a competent flight lead than of "cheating" on the mission.

Also a good idea to practice on increasingly difficult mission tasks for you and a wingman. Starting on a difficult campaign mission isn't the best place to learn how to use the AI units effectively, start easier and work your way up.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Hmm, thank you for the suggestions. I will try these out at home eventually. Is it only me who thinks this needs to be addressed? I understand trying to evade but it seems like overkill. That and the AI is terrible at treat assessment.

Hmm, thank you for the suggestions. I will try these out at home eventually. Is it only me who thinks this needs to be addressed? I understand trying to evade but it seems like overkill. That and the AI is terrible at treat assessment.

I agree, should have an option under the REACT to THREAT options that have them evade and flare / chaff but not drop all ordinance to do so.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

fly underneath him wing under wing, and when he jettisons, you pull the stick to your gut momentarily. That should put the weapons back on :D

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.