DCS: F-14A/A+/B by Heatblur Simulations coming to DCS World!

Cobra847

No contradiction here. A good story telling movie, just isn't the same as a historical documentation. It can't be true to real life most of the time, as it needs to follow a good storyline.

So people that expect a blockbuster or similar movie to be historically accurate, need to accept it is rarely possible for the director to do so, even if he wants to...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Not just the F-14, or Top Gun and Iron Eagles. The first time someone "dared" to show a dogfight on visual media was in "Dogfights" and that was a documentary :book:

EDIT:

No contradiction here. A good story telling movie, just isn't the same as a historical documentation. It can't be true to real life most of the time, as it needs to follow a good storyline.

So people that expect a blockbuster or similar movie to be historically accurate, need to accept it is rarely possible for the director to do so, even if he wants to...

I think it's mostly the producers expecting that the "real thing" won't be nearly as interesting as the "creatively liberated" stuff....

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Oh nonsense. Top Gun wasn't awful because of historical inaccuracy. It was awful because it was awful. Purely as a story telling exercise it was trite and cliche and over the top and thats without considering the glaring inaccurate portrayal of air combat, which really isn't what makes a movie bad necessarily.

Apocalypse Now is far from a historical re-enactment of the Vietnam War in any accurate sense but its still a far better movie than Top freakin' Gun. :lol:

Now, know what was a fun movie thats not nearly as cringe worthy (by comparison)? Days of Thunder. Just gimme 5th gear! :megalol:

APOCALYPSE NOW? Give me a friggin break.. Dumbest concept for a war movie. EVER.. The main actor was so horribly overweight they had to film the entire thing in the dark just to hide his Jabba like body..

That was a friggin HORRIBLE movie..

:doh:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

top gun movie was done badly, not as historic accurate but just from technical point of view to storyline..

they could make same story,but with f14 firing phoeninx on those "mig-28" aka Russian F5, and show how F5 do defensive maneuvers violently and aggressively and phoenix miss, one after another, range is closing 45 miles, 36 miles etc.. and so on and so on.. make it credible at least somewhat..

in movie it looks like we're basically dealing with WW2 era aircrafts who spot the enemy 2 miles from the nose and have many opportunities to gun their enemy down with guns..

about TOP GUN 2.. yikes, pls don't do it hollywood.. i can't imagine a plot where this could work, i mean US air force armed with F22, JSF(that works probably in the movie at least) versus what?.. Iranian F14?, .. North Korean Mig-21?.. and Tom Cruise would be fighting and sweating? lol.. it doesn't work period. because whole strength ratio of US versus "enemy" has changed drastically in the past 30 yrs from the first movie where USSR was at least on paper a formidable opponent.

Unless a movie is done who Tom Cruise gets asked by US Navy to come back cuz of shortage of pilots due to Chinese air superiority (for some reason) and then obviously he sits in JSF and boom, happy end. the end.)lol

top gun movie was done badly, not as historic accurate but just from technical point of view to storyline..

they could make same story,but with f14 firing phoeninx on those "mig-28" aka Russian F5, and show how F5 do defensive maneuvers violently and aggressively and phoenix miss, one after another, range is closing 45 miles, 36 miles etc.. and so on and so on.. make it credible at least somewhat..

In that aspect at least, Top Gun was fairly accurate. At the time, visual confirmation of both aircraft and hostile intent was required. This was a Cold War after all. And Tomcats of that period did carry loads that would be in the likes of 2 Sp 2 Sw, 4 Sw, 4 Sp 2 Sw, 4 Sp 4 Sw and similar, when not flying explicit fleet defense/intercept missions.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I think movies like top gun and the final count down were more to promote the navy and the f-14, just propaganda... top gun is still a decent movie... days of thunder and top gun, another series like them is disney cars and planes, basically the same movie...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding the U-571, while a truly dreadful movie IMHO, perhaps I got you wrong regarding which part exactly relates to the British Navy, but I'd expect it was inspired by the capturing of U-505 by the U.S. Navy?

I think this is the whole point about history, taking small snippits of it don't portray the whole story. You are of course correct the U.S. Navy did capture U-505, the first time since 1812 that they had captured a vessel at sea. This happened in June 1944 after the Allies were already routinely decoding German naval Enigma traffic. The film relates to the first capture of the enigma at sea, this was done by the Royal Navy in May 1941. Even the director was quoted in BBC Radio 4 programme "It was a distortion...a mercenary decision...to create this parallel history in order to drive the film for an American audience. Both my grandparents [sic] were officers in the Second World War, and I would be personally offended if somebody distorted their achievements." :huh:

You do realize that Eagle Dynamics is not making the F-14.

No, you're right, no Designs Eagle Dynamics F-14 Tomcat, but owns all rights Flight Simulator DCS World, which will be hosted DCS module F-14 later; Eagle Dynamics is responsible for selling and distributing its simulator with Leatherneck Simulations and The Fighter Collection, if you know how it works ED tu me what you understand me.

As I said, it's a good chance of working group Eagle Dynamics and third party, to join this product and go to Hollywood to find a good marketing strategy, building on the 30th anniversary of the movie Top Gun with the F-14 Tomcat. It's just an idea ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The film relates to the first capture of the enigma at sea, this was done by the Royal Navy in May 1941. Even the director was quoted in BBC Radio 4 programme "It was a distortion...a mercenary decision...to create this parallel history in order to drive the film for an American audience. Both my grandparents [sic] were officers in the Second World War, and I would be personally offended if somebody distorted their achievements." :huh:

You're right, but you can also look at it as if it was inspired by the U-505 event and then modified to be much more important than it was too give the movie some weight for the domestic audience ;) They did deliver the U-505 Enigma to the British after all. But, we wasted too many words over a stupid Blockbuster movie already.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

You're right, but you can also look at it as if it was inspired by the U-505 event and then modified to be much more important than it was too give the movie some weight for the domestic audience ;) They did deliver the U-505 Enigma to the British after all. But, we wasted too many words over a stupid Blockbuster movie already.

Yeah I guess your right :thumbup:

Are those two movies really any different? The same basic plot in both, same production, director, main actor etc. just placed in a different setting. For my money's worth, I'd definitely prefer the Top Gun since I'm not a NASCAR fan.

I'm not a Nascar fan either. Fans are idiots, they like stuff because of a brand, not because its good.

Days of Thunder is better than Top Gun because its just a better movie. The character motivations are cleaner, the full circle of Tom Cruise driving his former rival's car is more poignant, the scene where they rent two cars and do a demolition derby is far more fun than any of the fake dogfights.

Also, Michael Ironside 100% diminishes the final vote for any film he is in, barring Total Recall. That is what I call the Michael Ironside rule. Command & Conquer is the only other exception.

APOCALYPSE NOW? Give me a friggin break.. Dumbest concept for a war movie. EVER.. The main actor was so horribly overweight they had to film the entire thing in the dark just to hide his Jabba like body..

That was a friggin HORRIBLE movie..

:doh:

Its not a war movie silly, its an exploration of the darkness in man, which is tangentially related to war. Who cares if Marlon Brando was fat, he gave a chilling performance. Anyway, I usually tune out people who say Apocalypse Now is a horrible movie because thats just... inconceivable.

The smell of Napalm in the Morning beats out Talk to me Goose as epic film lines anyway. And for such a dumb war flick the helicopter attack scene is way more interesting than watching people struggle for a missile lock at WW1 engagement ranges. :megalol:

• Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

The smell of Napalm in the Morning beats out Talk to me Goose as epic film lines anyway.

Excellent summation, sir!! :thumbup:

...and funny as hell! :lol:

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Also, Michael Ironside 100% diminishes the final vote for any film he is in, barring Total Recall. That is what I call the Michael Ironside rule. Command & Conquer is the only other exception.

The obvious gap in education should be remedied ASAP by watching Starship Troopers. :smartass:

The smell of Napalm in the Morning beats out Talk to me Goose as epic film lines anyway.

That I agree with wholeheartedly. :thumbup:

Eh, I'm not a Starship Troopers fan personally. Its because I stupidly read the book before seeing the movie. Big mistake. I love Robocop, but I just don't like Verhoeven's take on the story.

Stilll... yea maybe I'll bend the rule for that one too. He's definitely not as bad as Casper Van Dien.

Eh, I'm not a Starship Troopers fan personally. Its because I stupidly read the book before seeing the movie. Big mistake. I love Robocop, but I just don't like Verhoeven's take on the story.

Didn't read the book so I loved the movie for what it was, although I can see how such a parody vehicle of a serious book can ruin your enjoyment. Though, it's funny how Verhoeven peaked with the movie he supposedly almost refused to make.. It hasn't really aged much, if at all (I even feel it's messages are stronger today then in the 80's). Don't plan on watching this silly remake, though.

What was the thread about, anyway? :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

What was the thread about, anyway? :)

Its about watching the joy of a community united by a single announcement. The wandering subject matter of this thread is like the murmured conversations you can pick up at a great party.

One needs to watch the extended DVD release and understand why the awesome movie Top Gun was filmed in the manner it was. After I watch the 10 plus hours of the Top Gun Movie Documentary I fully understand how and why the movie was made. I watched it just two days ago and enjoyed every minute. And remember, "SHE IS A CIVILIAN SO YOU DO NOT SALUTE HER!"

Anyone that does not acknowledge Top Gun as the greatest jet combat film of all time needs to offer alternatives. Only 'The Final Countdown' came close to the quality cinematography of real jet fighters. Realistic air combat would obviously look boring and confusing to most people, the stuff in Top Gun is easy to follow and looks incredible. The shots of massive heat blur pouring out of both engines as that Tomcat screams along the valley is ingrained in my mind forever.

Top Gun rules and no film remembers the F-14 era with such fun.

It's a beautifully and very competently shot ode to the Navy pilots and the plane and is now somewhat of a nostalgic trip to the past era when the outlooks were different and political correctness didn't jump at you from every corner. I think it really deserves credit for becoming such an iconic mainstream movie considering it has basically a scrapped together story featuring fighter pilots and combat airplanes as the main characters.

It might seem corny today and it's popular to make fun off of it it seems, but I find it corny just enough (especially compared to later Bruckheimer produced movies like e.g. Con Air, Armageddon, The Rock, Pearl Harbor which are unwatchable, IMHO; Crimson Tide and Black Hawk Down notwithstanding). It just works IMHO. I certainly don't feel guilty appreciating it for what it is. But then again, I also think Navy Seals (another popular pick on movie since The Clerks) was a well made action movie (and I don't consider myself a military buff type) so what the hell do I know..

Edited by Dudikoff

The devils advocate speking here :)

Why should I buy a module from a firm who never ever finished a DCS module yet? The Mig-21 is the most simple supersonic jet ever built with the most primitive (easy to modell) avionics and systems and months after its release I am still beta testing it, expereiencing buggy systems, avionics, weapons. Violent changes in flight modelling ansoon. The tomcat is a trizillion times more complex bird.

Just my 2c

• Like 2

The devils advocate speking here :)

Why should I buy a module from a firm who never ever finished a DCS module yet? The Mig-21 is the most simple supersonic jet ever built with the most primitive (easy to modell) avionics and systems and months after its release I am still beta testing it, expereiencing buggy systems, avionics, weapons. Violent changes in flight modelling ansoon. The tomcat is a trizillion times more complex bird.

Just my 2c

Hard to find the appropriate words.

• Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/