included theater discussion

remi

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im guessing southern Mediterranean Sea, Libyas so-called 'Line of Death'. As the A variant might ''be in tune with an early 80s airframe'', and 4 planes were shot down in this area between 1981-89, I think this might make up for a little theater with a campaign which will give us some nice carrier ops too.

I think a theater around Mediterranean would be nice at least..

It is an interesting question. Remember that LNS has stated that the first 2 maps will be "small". ED's Hormuz map might be a good indicator on what can be considered small.

At first I thought that Libya is way too big but on a second thought, it might actually be quite sensible. The landmass could be centered on the area of Benghazi, which is only sparsley populated and somehow protrudes into the Mediterranean. And obviously the ocean itselfe provides the vast playground for the Tomcat.

Edit: I think Miramar would be a difficult map to make since it is located at the densly populated west coast. Not a map I would do as a first try.

Edited by MBot

Why not the middle-east for fighting the Iran-Iraq war? It is were the F-14 was used extensively.

Middle East is too important to have LNS produce as their first map. I'd think ED would build that because it's such a vital map.

Miramar wouldn't have to be super complex or detailed in surrounding area. You don't need to model San Diego to have a good theater for top gun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ED's Hormuz map might be a good indicator on what can be considered small.

From what they wrote, considerable time was needed just to model Dubai city. I think the LN maps will be something less intensive. I don't think everyone should get their hopes up for a highly detailed map, remember it will be released free with the module.

• Like 1

Why not the middle-east for fighting the Iran-Iraq war? It is were the F-14 was used extensively.

ED are already making Straits of Hormuz, luckily. It's almost like they're coordinating with LNS... could it be? :)

Here is my concept of a limited Libya map. About the same amount of landmass as ED's Hormuz map, few large cities and settlements and only a single airbase (which are very time consuming to make). It would be a simple map to make, with a good basic layout for naval oriented gameplay and a historical background related to the F-14. Overall it would be a sensible map to start with.

libya_small.thumb.jpg.5a4707ca3b4b12efaf2bf41d1717fed1.jpg

I'm going to predict that carrier operations will not be released until hornet is released. If tomcat comes out before hornet, then a non carrier based location will be required.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is my concept of a limited Libya map. About the same amount of landmass as ED's Hormuz map, few large cities and settlements and only a single airbase (which are very time consuming to make). It would be a simple map to make, with a good basic layout for naval oriented gameplay and a historical background related to the F-14. Overall it would be a sensible map to start with.

Now VEAO are doing a Tubruq are a map for WW2 operations which is not that far outside the area you have highlighted.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Well, whatever it is, I hope they would choose something which can be expanded upon later on (and thus sold). Thus, the delivered small size map would be kind of like a free preview of what's coming next and they could choose a less demanding part of the map to start with (e.g. avoid major urban areas, etc.).

I'd love a Mediterranean map (but preferably a larger one, not just Libya), but somehow some North Atlantic GIUK area map seems more logical IMHO (more sea, less land mass :)) and is where Tomcat's mission was facing its strongest foes.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

A Libya map could easily be used for WW2 as well.

I like the way you think. Makes sense for LN to design theater maps that can be used for multiple aircraft and eras with a little tweaking. A value added "perk" when they roll out their next aircraft if they ca also offer era specific maps to go along with it. (Course the part of the world were talking about hasn't changed much over the last 40 years so the tweaking part would be easy.)

Yes a North African map offers amply opportunities for WWII missions and Aircraft, Modern Conflict and Aircraft and most importantly EXTENSIVE Mediterranean Carrier Ops.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'd love a Mediterranean map (but preferably a larger one, not just Libya), but somehow some North Atlantic GIUK area map seems more logical IMHO (more sea, less land mass :)) and is where Tomcat's mission was facing its strongest foes.

Personally I would love the Northern Flank (Norwegian Sea, Barents). But unless you extend the map from the GIUK to the Kola Peninsula, you would have nowhere for those Backfires to take-off from :) A usefull map in that theater would have to include the Kola and Northern Norway. One of my favourite maps, but also very big.

+1

I also think this is the most likely one given that Tomcats actually fought here. If there's gonna be a combat campaign, it can't happen over a training ground at Miramar, can it? :smilewink:

I'm guessing Fallon NAS. Here is why: It is part of the NTTR map already. Albeit the very far NW corner. I mean Barely on that map. But a single airbase would constitute a small scenery right?

Fallon is the current home of the Naval Fighter Weapons School (NFWS). What used to be called Topgun, has been integrated together with NSAWC (Naval Strike And Warfare Center) to give deploying Carrier Air Wings a place to "Work Up," and get up to speed for the kind of combined operations they will be facing in theatre. Fallon has it's own Bombing, EW, and Tactical Air Combat Ranges.

For further reference, most of the "Top Gun" scenes from the movie were filmed on the Fallon ranges in the Nevada desert.

Just my Guess though. -Woog

I'm guessing Fallon NAS. Here is why: It is part of the NTTR map already.

Is there a diagram somewhere showing the bounds of the NTTR map? All I've seen is 600x600km ish.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Miramar wouldn't have to be super complex or detailed in surrounding area. You don't need to model San Diego to have a good theater for top gun.
Actually, you do. A Miramar map without San Diego would be as unacceptable as a Nellis map without Las Vegas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]