included theater discussion

remi

You know, as I sit here and think about the Lack of auxiliary airfields in the NTTR map, I wonder: How hard would it be to include all these others as a Flat featureless, High Res Photo? You could include every one of the Airbases, AND civilian airfields without having to model them. Just a photo base placed exactly where it should be.

That would look ugly and unrealistic and would technically be of little. If someone wants to mod the map with new airports, the placement is the easiest part to do (and modify if necessary to correct). ED could make sure that the terrain is flat there, though, so the terrain map itself doesn't need to be modded.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a diagram somewhere showing the bounds of the NTTR map? All I've seen is 600x600km ish.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Nevada_TTR_Chart.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Tomcats did Flag, and played Red Air on occasion for the FWS. Subsequently, I hope that the time being spent on a new theatre *isn't* Fallon, Miramar/Yuma, Oceana, or Key West.

A place where things are actually supposed to be shot at and explode, rather than simply get ACMI tape would be nice.

Tomcats did Flag, and played Red Air on occasion for the FWS. Subsequently, I hope that the time being spent on a new theatre *isn't* Fallon, Miramar/Yuma, Oceana, or Key West.

A place where things are actually supposed to be shot at and explode, rather than simply get ACMI tape would be nice.

Well, that could include anywhere on the planet then. I do believe Cobra said something about a Proper Tomcat home. To me that says Miramar, Fallon, or Oceana. We'll have to wait, and be happily surprised. The good thing is, we WILL have Straights of Hormuz, and Libya (VEAO) to operate the Tomcat in as well. So there will be Combat Theaters. I am also willing to bet a good recreation of "The Final Countdown" Combat scenes aren't too far away either. -Woog

Edited by Woogey

Why not the middle-east for fighting the Iran-Iraq war? It is were the F-14 was used extensively.
As an Iranian I really want to fly the F-14 and simulate Iran-Iraq war BVR air wars and of course dog fights!:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe if we are lucky the Strait of Hormuz map could eventually be expanded to include part of Iraq.
That would be awesome but unfortunately there is a large distance (more than 400Km) between Strait of Hormuz and faw (The nearest part of Iraq to Strait of Hormuz ) So it would be a really huge map.at least we can simulate "The Tanker War" (a part of Iran-Iraq air wars) in Strait of Hormuz map.
Edited by Fake

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[..]I do believe Cobra said something about a Proper Tomcat home. To me that says Miramar, Fallon, or Oceana.

[..]

Is a proper home for a Tomcat not a carrier?

So what about Balkan Scenario (the Adriatic Sea between Italy and former Yugoslavia) in a time periode during yugoslavia war.

It would give us a lot of missions (like A-10s over Kosovo) for every aircraft in DCS World!

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

As an Iranian I really want to fly the F-14 and simulate Iran-Iraq war BVR air wars and of course dog fights!:pilotfly:

Combat has been going off/on in that region for more than 3 decades so it would be ripe for activity with alot of planes that are modeled or on the way.

Maybe if we are lucky the Strait of Hormuz map could eventually be expanded to include part of Iraq.

The current Caucasus map is actually closer to Iraq than the Strait of Hormuz. The Middle East is a big place :)

TCombat has been going off/on in that region for more than 3 decades so it would be ripe for activity with alot of planes that are modeled or on the way.
agreed but You know,There are lots of modules that we want:

F-4,Mig-23,Mig-25,F-5,etc.

Edited by Fake

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The current Caucasus map is actually closer to Iraq than the Strait of Hormuz. The Middle East is a big place :)

Unfortunately, being a pre-Edge map, it isn't likely to be upgraded, much less expanded.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It seems those guys had an airbase during the Cold War, here an extract from the Wiki:

Burevestnik (also Iturup; Japanese: 天寧飛行場, Tennei-hikōjyō) (IATA: BVV, ICAO: UHSB) is a military air base on Iturup Island, Russia, establishing the nation's presence on the disputed South Kuril Islands with the largest airfield in the region. It is also the former Soviet Union's most remote interceptor base, home of 387 IAP (387th Interceptor Aviation Regiment). During the 1970s it flew MiG-21bis and upgraded to MiG-23 jets in 1983. Burevestnik's communications and logistics were tied to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and supplies were flown in weekly on An-12 aircraft.

Burevestnik's close proximity to Japan's highly populated Hokkaidō Island, by only 190 km, and to major aviation corridors kept the base in a state of constant alert. In 1968, an American Douglas DC-8 was forced to land here after straying off course in the Seaboard World Airlines Flight 253 incident. In April 1983, Burevestnik's MiG-21s were alerted due to a close approach of American F-14 aircraft but did not take off due to bad weather.

Tomcats, Fishbeds, Floggers, Leatherneck... Interesting isn't it?

I edited this pic to show the airports in Hokkaido, it has only one military air base, but any airport can work as a military runway If needed. BTW, and why this area is strategically important? Cause it's the only safe passage to open ocean for nuclear submarines that had their bases on Sakhalin island.

Image1_zpspripskd0.jpg

Irutup island

Image4_zpshfqbsu5g.jpg

And the old Burevestnik air base.

Image7_zps2gfydt42.jpg

They have a new one more at north on the same island, is not on Google Earth yet.

And a couple of pics from MiG-23 based there during the Cold War.

47706769_ostrov_iturup_ayerodrom_burevestnik_mig23_mld_zpswmpg0gc2.jpg

90833496_large_ayerodrom_burevestnik_mig23_mld_zps26bx0gpa.jpg

Edited by Stratos
Edited the first pic
  • Like 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

The Kuriles would be a very sensible map. Limited in complexity (if the included area of Hokkaido is limited) and of high strategic importance. Not only is the area imprtant to control the bottlenecks that the outbound units of the Soviet Pacific Fleet have to pass, the Kuriles chain also serves as a barrier to protect the strategic submarines holding out in the Sea of Okhotsk. Certainly a hot-spot for the USN Pacific Fleet in a US-USSR war.

I think is a good choice for a learning theatre, is big but with huge part of the map is open sea, only islands to create, with almost no population (barely half a dozen villages there, of course more cities If you add north of Hokkaido) and not to many airbases.

And a really important area for strategical dominance of the Pacific.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

That would be an interesting theater, very carrier focused.

However, I would strongly advocate for this small map:

Theater_F-14.jpg

This was the operational training area for the F-14 on the West Coast. It include Miramar, El Centro, and Yuma, AZ. These were the major operational bases for the F-14, including the master jet station of Miramar that includes TopGun (which could also be used for the Hornet, prior to 1996), NAF El Centro where Tomcats would practice day/night FCLP and ACM, and Yuma which was used for ACM detachments and was the site of ACEVAL/AIMVAL.

This whole map could be 200x150 miles (320x240 km) and still include all of those training area, plus add some open ocean - where a lot of ACM training also took place. This would be even smaller than the Hormuz map and much smaller than NTTR. The image I've shown is actually more like 200x80 miles.

It's fairly urban, but concentrated. The area right around San Diego is pretty dense, though as this map shows, it pretty desolate within ~10-20 miles of the coast. Even more so in the 1980s and early 1990s. The area around NAS Oceana is actually much more urban (Norfolk with lots of other cities nearby).

I think this would be the ultimate F-14 map for immersion and intense training. Can still use the Hormuz map for combat and it actually happened for CVW-11 (VF-213 and VF-114) in 1988.

My 2 cents.

Edited by BlackLion213