included theater discussion

remi

Did you guys notice that the F5e is under development by ED?

F14 + F5 = miramar.

Top Gun 30th anniversary.

Corbra said that it was cold and oceany so I don't know about Miramar.

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you guys notice that the F5e is under development by ED?

F14 + F5 = miramar.

Top Gun 30th anniversary.

Ooooooooooohhhh yeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!! :pilotfly:

I live in Los Angeles; there's an outdoor movie theater here that'll be screening Top Gun on July 4. Too bad I'll have to miss it. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, I believe I've just found the leading candidate for one of the campaigns to be provided with the DCS: F-14 module! Granted, I proposed this scenario once already, but the fact its appeared on a popular defense-related blog gives it all the more reason to take it seriously.

On June 25, 1996, a truck bomb ripped through the Khobar Towers complex in eastern Saudi Arabia — killing 19 American airmen. U.S. intelligence agencies blamed Iranian proxy forces for the bombing.

Clinton made it clear that if Iran was complicit in the attack — as the FBI and the broader intelligence community believed — he wanted a serious military response. He even informed Richard Clarke, his counter-terrorism adviser, that he did not “want any pissant half-measures.”

The Pentagon drew up military plans which ranged from launching cruise missiles at Iranian targets to undertaking a full-blown ground invasion of Iran. It appeared, however, that the agreed plan of action was to heavily bombard Iranian military targets in its Gulf provinces with air, missile and naval attacks.

Fascinating article, definitely a big-time "what-if?" scenario.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/in-the-90s-bill-clinton-considered-bombing-iran-1f9b1ad45fb9

A hypothetical scenario that I'd generate based on this historical event is that either the Saudi's turned over that incriminating evidence of Iran complicity, or the U.S. intelligence community was able to find conclusive evidence of its own. Either way, President Clinton decides to strike back and strike back hard, without resorting to "pissant half-measures," to quote him. It is now early November 1996 and the USS Carl Vinson is ordered to extract itself from the Persian Gulf, transit the Strait of Hormuz, and stand by in the Indian Ocean for further orders. Meanwhile, the USS Kitty Hawk, slated to relieve the Carl Vinson in the Persian Gulf, is ordered to sail at flank speed and rendezvous with on-station battle group. The U.S. bolsters its presence in the area, deploying additional Air Force and Marine Corps fighter aircraft to its bases in the Gulf region, extra B-52s to Diego Garcia, and sending a battalion-sized force of paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division and a joint special operations task force. Central Command begins planning for what will be the largest air and naval assault in its history since the Vietnam War.

The only drawback to this scenario? Of the three Tomcat squadrons in-theater (VF-11 and VF-31 of CVW-14 and VF-213 of CVW-11), only VF-213 would be flyable by this module, since VF-11 and VF-31 were flying F-14Ds by this point. But I'm sure BlackLions213 won't have a problem with that. :thumbup:

Edited by CheckGear

• 1 month later...
Corbra said that it was cold and oceany so I don't know about Miramar.

Have you heard about operations Northern Wedding and Ocean Safari? Both occured in the northern sea during cold war...

:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

The only drawback to this scenario? Of the three Tomcat squadrons in-theater (VF-11 and VF-31 of CVW-14 and VF-213 of CVW-11), only VF-213 would be flyable by this module, since VF-11 and VF-31 were flying F-14Ds by this point. But I'm sure BlackLion213 won't have a problem with that. :thumbup:

Yes, this sounds great to me. :D

-Nick

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, this sounds great to me. :D

-Nick

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm having to make a revision. If such a scenario took place in the timeframe mentioned, the order of battle would probably have been:

USS Enterprise (CVN-65)

Carrier Air Wing Seventeen (CVW-17) (AA)

VF-103 “Jolly Rogers” - F-14B Tomcat

VFA-81 “Sunliners” - F/A-18C Hornet

VFA-83 “Rampagers” - F/A-18C Hornet

VA-75 “Sunday Punchers” - A-6E/KA-6D Intruder

VAW-125 “Tigertails” or “Torchbearers” - E-2C Hawkeye

VAQ-132 “Scorpions” - EA-6B Prowler

VS-30 “Diamondcutters” - S-3B Viking

HS-15 “Red Lions” - SH-60F/HH-60H Seahawk

VQ-6 Det. C “Black Ravens” - ES-3A Shadow

VRC-40 Det. 2 “Rawhides” - C-2A Greyhound

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70)

Carrier Air Wing Fourteen (CVW-14) (NK)

VF-11 “Red Rippers” - F-14D Tomcat

VF-31 “Tomcatters” - F-14D Tomcat

VFA-25 “Fist of the Fleet” - F/A-18C(N) Hornet

VFA-113 “Stingers” - F/A-18C(N) Hornet

VA-196 “Main Battery” - A-6E/KA-6D Intruder

VAW-113 “Black Eagles” - E-2C Hawkeye

VAQ-139 “Cougars” - EA-6B Prowler

VS-35 “Blue Wolves” - S-3B Viking

HS-4 “Black Knights” - SH-60F/HH-60H Seahawk

VQ-5 DET. D “Sea Shadows” - ES-3A Shadow

VRC-30 DET. 1 “Providers” - C-2A Greyhound

However, Kitty Hawk and CVW-11 would've relieved one of the two carriers. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Since Cobra said oceany, cold, and in another comment said substantial amounts of land, I am pretty certain that we're talking the Norwegian Sea, border to the Barents Sea. :) It seems very natural that the devs (Swede as Cobra is) will want to make something Nordic. The landscape is wonderful (I've lived there and can attest to this).

Carrier battle groups hiding in the radar shadow of the Lofoten islands provides an excellent potential for Tomcat action. And since one of the unannounced aircraft is -probably- a Viggen, the Nordic scenery gives a good (the only realistic) location for it.

Again I think and hope that it will be in the Kurile islands, oceany, cold as hell and lots of chances to use a new MiG-23 modeule there.

At this point, I hope its anywhere but the North Atlantic/GIUK Gap/North Cape region. Its been overdone so many times over and its an area where the Tomcat didn't really spend much time in. The Tomcat spent most of its time in the Mediterranean, the Indian Ocean, and WESTPAC. Only during exercises did the Tomcat frequent the NA/GIUK/NC area.

At this point, I hope its anywhere but the North Atlantic/GIUK Gap/North Cape region. Its been overdone so many times over and its an area where the Tomcat didn't really spend much time in. The Tomcat spent most of its time in the Mediterranean, the Indian Ocean, and WESTPAC. Only during exercises did the Tomcat frequent the NA/GIUK/NC area.

Ah but if it does the GIUK gap then I may get my home airfield included as well as the bombing range at Cape Wrath :)

Edited by Alicatt

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

What I can understand is the secretism. Is a matter of marketing? Delaying the anouncement to generate hype?

Could be, but it could also be the intention to keep their options open till later when the module gets ready. That sounds like a wise option rather than to commit yourself to something too early in development as various things can change in the meantime.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Not to mention the fact that anytime anything is announced, if anything at all changes this forum absolutely loses it's mind and crucifies them. That is one of the reasons that now sadly most of the devs as well as ED state very little until something is ready to release.. Note Belsimtek haven't said a peep in ages.. For a while we were getting news about some version of Cobra and some version of Hind almost weekly.. Now? NOTHING..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Not to mention the fact that anytime anything is announced, if anything at all changes this forum absolutely loses it's mind and crucifies them. That is one of the reasons that now sadly most of the devs as well as ED state very little until something is ready to release.. Note Belsimtek haven't said a peep in ages.. For a while we were getting news about some version of Cobra and some version of Hind almost weekly.. Now? NOTHING..

Exactly. Our little community, no matter how lovely it is :D, can put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the devs.

This is my take on the included theater: Lofoten, Norway.

bwoTiAd.jpg

Plus minus a bit of rotation of the map.

This way, the three largest airports close to that region are included, all with current or cold war military presence: Bodø ENBO, 9200ft (from which U2s flew); Evenes ENEV, 9200ft; Andøya ENAN, 8000ft and 5500ft.

You'd potentially also get the far smaller regional ones as well: Svolvær ENSH (2500), Stokmarknes ENSK (2900), the incredible Røst ENRS (2600), Narvik ENNK (2600), and Leknes ENLK (2600).

Most importantly, you'd have a lot of space for CVs. The region spans the expected hold-off line between Soviet and NATO forces and is therefore a perfect fit for any cold war scenario.

I think they want to have a mature product before they make an announcement, to be sure they can actually deliver it.

This. Remember the fallout from the Mig delays...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it will be NAS Miramar. Top Gun school.

With the upcoming NTTR & DCS 1.5/2.0 and the LS F-14 Tomcat, I would truly hope that someone at ED/LNS will recognize the importance of having NAS Fallon on the NTTR map, along with Tonopah AFB and NAS China Lake. Since the late '80's early '90's it's been home to Top Gun and NSAWC and has been the training ground for thousands of Naval/Marine Aviators.

As important as it is to have Nellis AFB for the Air Force community, it's just as important to have NAS Fallon for the Navy community. Bravo 17/19/20 bombing ranges are all air spaces that covers hundreds of miles of supersonic airspace. I'm sure there are tons of possible training mission scenarios. All this Nevada space can be used for a hella good Red Flag campaigns that actually do really happen.

Being a life long Nevada resident and a 21 year retired CFR Firefighter from NAS Fallon, it would be a dream come true to actually launch my very own Tomcat off 31 left/right, like I seen so many actual launches from the duty bean hot spot between the parallels.

Cheers and Salute!

and

Thanks for such a great flight sim:thumbup:

• 5 months later...