carrier ops threadnaught

ruprecht

Without wanting to necro any of the other older carrier ops threads, this seemed like as good a place as any to revive the discussion around what is your idea of necessary features for playable carrier ops.

Try to keep it to features that are realistically worth spending dev time on rather than minutiae. Also I know this is more a DCS thing than a Leatherneck thing, but I'm assuming Cobra has some influence now with the Tomcat so.

If Cobra could post in here at some point saying "I can't say much, but you are all going to be very very happy with what is coming soon TM" well, ya know, that would be magical :)

So to kick things off, a few of my ideas:

- AI LSO comms and logged grading (a la vLSO for FSX)

- OLS which compensates for different aircraft hook-eye distance and ship pitch/roll

- shore-based OLS for carrier quals

- AI PriFly comms (and/or player controlled Air Boss with Combined Arms or a similar Navops module?)

- AI yellow shirts on the deck

- foul decks that take time to clear each time someone fails the "rectum non bustus" test

- obviously working wires and cats

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Not sure if you miss the MudSpike Wags interview:

http://www.mudspike.com/qa-with-matt-wagner-producer-eagle-dynamics/

With regards to naval operations, will there be improvements to include things such as the marshal stack, case I,II,II recoveries, refueling tankers, LSO, and deck activity?

We have been working with a couple of Hornet pilots on this and we now have a detailed design document that covers this. We hope to be able to implement in detail.

I'd be happy with proper parking spots for my AI wingmen, as opposed to Kuznetsov's current habit of sliding all the Flankers to the back right of the ship. We got marked parking spots baked into the texture, why not use them. (This also affects AI landing, sometimes they chicken out on short final just because a parked aircraft is a little close to the runway.)

While we are on the subject, can we get it so that the default behavior for ALL carrier fixed wing aircraft after landing is to keep their wings folded. Su-33 reopening its wings on shut down always makes me nervous on final.

Switchable Launch and Recovery- Meaning, I would love to see where the player and AI can all launch from carriers, while the back of the boat is cluttered with parked planes. Then after all AI/players have launched, maybe when the player contacts the boat to say they are inbound, clean up any parked AI so that the back of the boat is free, and/or park any landing AI planes near the front... Keeping in mind one catapult should be open, just in case the player wants to go again after rearm/refuel.

Proper LSO meatball, complete with voice comms (I have the mod that adds voice, and use that to practice my approaches) I would love to see the meatball though, the same way I can see the PAPI lights.

I modded my Kuznetsov to hold up to 9 planes, but only 5 can safely stack on the deck before the sixth landing AI just sits at the end of the runway with engines on forever waiting for one of the previous AI planes to disappear. I'd love to see allowances for a lot more planes parked on deck at all times. Put the power to despawn planes more in the player's hands.

Ok I do not want this to be too long, but those are things I would LOVE to see on all carriers in DCS World.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Not sure if you miss the MudSpike Wags interview

I had seen that, and I hope LN have access to the design doc. With some luck they might even be able to contribute some of these ideas to that doc.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Even a cold&dark UH-1 can slide slowly from DCS carrier deck to deep sea. I'm really disappointed on DCS ship deck, not only carrier but also destroyer flight deck.
This bug affects all EFM/AFM/PFM aircraft. It will obviously have to be fixed before DCS: F/A-18C is released. Hopefully it is fixed before the F-14 too. The current workaround is to keep the ship stationary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This bug affects all EFM/AFM/PFM aircraft.

it does not effect the su33 right now though.

Because it has an SFM. :music_whistling:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It would be nice to implement some sort of way to account for the capacity of the hangar rather than be spawning in only a handful at a time because of the limited deck space. For example, say you're loading up a co-op mission with some buddies in F-14s and (somewhere down the road) F/A-18Cs. As many as can fit on the flight deck would be up there, getting their loadout spooling up, and whatnot. The remainder would start from the hangar and be moved up to the deck as space permits.

I don't have any specific suggestion as to how far it needs to go, like whether you will have a first-person view inside the hanger or some external view of the ship while you're down there, how much of the moving around is actually player-controlled, etc. However it's done, it would add a lot to the carrier ops experience for the elevators and hangars to actually do something and not limit us to waiting until somebody launches to even spawn.

Maybe the tire friction just needs to be adjusted for EFM aircraft. Right now they all just land on solid ground.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Even a cold&dark UH-1 can slide slowly from DCS carrier deck to deep sea. I'm really disappointed on DCS ship deck, not only carrier but also destroyer flight deck.

This bug affects all EFM/AFM/PFM aircraft. It will obviously have to be fixed before DCS: F/A-18C is released. Hopefully it is fixed before the F-14 too. The current workaround is to keep the ship stationary.

Just like this?

Daytime in the IO, 1984. I was manning a jet with Rooster Coburn. He stayed up front while I ran back into the ship for something. I left my beautiful red-and-white Diamondback helmet on the seat because of the heat.

While I was away a tow tractor and entourage showed up to move our jet to the cat.

The deck surface was exceptionally slippery – like a dirty frying pan.

The ship started a port turn, and it started wallowing something awful in the troughs of the waves.

The jet-and-tractor hookup slid to the center of the deck and then back to the scuppers, the tires on the tow rig spinning and smoking like a dragster.

Suddenly the jet was over the edge and pointing upward like the Titanic. The tractor was still connected and halfway to the stars itself.

Another good wave did it.

The jet broke from the tow, flipped on its back, and sank instantly.

This was the newest and sweetest jet on the boat, a Block 110 TARPS bird that smelled like a new car – it was gone in a blink.

Rooster had given up working the hand-pump brake and had bailed out from about fifteen feet up – he ripped a chunk out of his nose on the way down, flopped semiconscious and fell face-down on the deck.

Then the tractor crashed down only inches away. There was a huge pool of blood, and the maintainers thought he was dead.

People on the rail yelled and pointed to my helmet, left on the seat and now floating alongside – Stew is dead, too!

He couldn’t get out before it sank! I wandered into our ready room, completely oblivious to the drama.

Shocked faces all around. Like Doctor Frankenstein: He’s Alive!

STEW “BUNDLES” MILLER

From Tomcat: Bye Bye Baby

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

vLSO is the mod that would really add to carrierops in DCS maybe they should talk to Paddles at FSDT forums as he made vLSO and has a lot of technical experience and knowledge with LSO etc. Also whats required is an AI tanker to always fly an overhead pattern above the carrier for topping up.:thumbup: vLSO has some other cool features for example you can do your carrier qualification and it takes 5 landings to get Qual. Landings are a challenge in something like a Hornet, Superhornet or T45C but an F-14 IMO is much more difficult so it will be fun to fly.:joystick:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 11 months later...

Moving from FSX I find the current DCS carrier ops are very rudimentary. I read somewhere that we are going to have revised, fully functional carriers. Anyone knows when we can expect them?

Landing the Aerosoft F-14 on a carrier in FSX with the vLSO watching you is a real challenge, and I expect nothing less realistic in DCS.

Moving from FSX I find the current DCS carrier ops are very rudimentary. I read somewhere that we are going to have revised, fully functional carriers. Anyone knows when we can expect them?

Landing the Aerosoft F-14 on a carrier in FSX with the vLSO watching you is a real challenge, and I expect nothing less realistic in DCS.

Not date of release of ED Carrier modules, but expected on 2016.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2659915&postcount=14

https://vk.com/eagle.dynamics?z=album-20224555_227391884

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153539598095341.1073741837.441639040340&type=3

vLSO is the mod that would really add to carrierops in DCS maybe they should talk to Paddles at FSDT forums as he made vLSO and has a lot of technical experience and knowledge with LSO etc. Also whats required is an AI tanker to always fly an overhead pattern above the carrier for topping up.:thumbup: vLSO has some other cool features for example you can do your carrier qualification and it takes 5 landings to get Qual. Landings are a challenge in something like a Hornet, Superhornet or T45C but an F-14 IMO is much more difficult so it will be fun to fly.:joystick:

I couldn't agree more. Landing the Aerosoft F-14 on a carrier is a challenge. But it's nowhere near the challenge of doing it with the vLOS's eyes on you. A slight deviation in lineup, glidslope or speed and you are waved off. And your GPA and boarding ratio suffers for it. Makes you really wanna concentrate every single time, and do everything by the book.

I have a GPA of 3.4 at the moment with a boarding ratio of 98%. I wonder how it will improve when 1.2 is released with a fully working DLC.

Having something like this in DCS would be amazing.