Iranian F-14's documentary

King_Hrothgar

Looks like the IRIAF has been actively flying F-14s even after the fall out in 1978.

It was assumed by many that lack of spare parts would make the aircraft useless.

Fly over with F-14 present: APR 20 2014

http://theaviationist.com/2014/04/20/iran-stages-massive-aerial-parade-with-f-14-f-4-mig-29-and-several-other-warplanes/

F-14s being overhauled to extend service life until 2030: Mar 01 2015

http://theaviationist.com/2015/03/01/iriaf-f-14s-overhauled/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How about "Hawk" instead of AIM-54? :shifty:

Also by the look of it, Iran is putting the Hawk internals inside an AIM54 shell now too, the Hawk electronics are compatible with the AWG9 radar

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Honestly I think it's far more likely those are parts mules on stands.... Probably the only way they're helping a few Tomcats flying. It's probably more like 10-20 and the others are probably being scrapped for parts...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Honestly I think it's far more likely those are parts mules on stands.... Probably the only way they're helping a few Tomcats flying. It's probably more like 10-20 and the others are probably being scrapped for parts...

Reverse engineering dude. If they have a nuclear program, they use reverse engineering to produce spare parts....Or buy some high technology from Russia (metallurgy and radar technology for example).

Reverse engineering dude. If they have a nuclear program, they use reverse engineering to produce spare parts....Or buy some high technology from Russia (metallurgy and radar technology for example).

Focusing completely on technology and not politics... Iran is TRYING to get to where the US was in nuclear munitions 65 years ago.

Knowing how much maintenance a F-14 requires(especially F-14As from 1978 ) and the fact that maintenance is the true reason they are retired from USN service not technology or performance. I think it's a very good possibility those are parts mules.... They don't look like aircraft being updated to me.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

No offense but I don't think understand anything about how reverse engineering works with anything technology related.

You do know that, china, which is years ahead of Iran in many military designs and technology, took forever to reverse engineer an engine given to them by Russia right?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/29/us-china-engine-idUSBRE89S17B20121029

They found it easier to start a whole new jet engine from scratch because reverse engineering was way too complicated.

Now lets look at Iran, who took nearly 35 years to reverse engineer a missile, and even then, we are not sure how good it even is yet.

http://theaviationist.com/2013/09/26/farouk-missile/

So to assume that they are able to create all of the other parts of the F-14, especially engine systems or radar, is not entirely likely.

Very little info is publicly available but those planes clearly still fly. So something is being done. My guess is it's a mix of reverse engineering, traditional restoration work and replacing worn out systems with newer ones. I've read that the engines on many of them are actually Russian engines at this point but I can't say if that is true or not. In any case, I think the west in general doesn't give the Iranian engineers and mechanics enough credit. It's also worth noting that nothing on the F-14A is "high tech" at this point. The plane is an antique. Still very capable of course, but everything on it is relatively low tech by today's standards. Replacing the onboard computer with a $50 walmart special tablet would be an upgrade.:lol:

Focusing completely on technology and not politics... Iran is TRYING to get to where the US was in nuclear munitions 65 years ago.

Knowing how much maintenance a F-14 requires(especially F-14As from 1978 ) and the fact that maintenance is the true reason they are retired from USN service not technology or performance. I think it's a very good possibility those are parts mules.... They don't look like aircraft being updated to me.

Yeah, The best scientist of all the world worked to develop the H-bomb. But dude this is an Off-topic.

The maintenance is not a technical problem, it's an economic problem. Also they don't need the operativity of an Navy Wing. Surely they haven't 79 Tomcats (they lost some of them in the War) and surely not the half of the original fleet.

No offense but I don't think understand anything about how reverse engineering works with anything technology related.

You do know that, china, which is years ahead of Iran in many military designs and technology, took forever to reverse engineer an engine given to them by Russia right?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/29/us-china-engine-idUSBRE89S17B20121029

They found it easier to start a whole new jet engine from scratch because reverse engineering was way too complicated.

Now lets look at Iran, who took nearly 35 years to reverse engineer a missile, and even then, we are not sure how good it even is yet.

http://theaviationist.com/2013/09/26/farouk-missile/

So to assume that they are able to create all of the other parts of the F-14, especially engine systems or radar, is not entirely likely.

China have a real problem in the field of metallurgy. Also they have a problem with innovation, creativity and proactivity. They are sending thousands of students to foreign universities. Here in Spain our Technical schools are overcrowded with future chinese engineers.

Well, I am sure that 35 years is not a real number. They fought in a War during 8 years.

In Metallurgy, maybe they have a better background than chinese. Or they have engines with lower expected life.

The reverse engineering of the weapons System I think that is very hard....But they only need a flying aircraft for deterrence purposes....Not an operational weapons system.

which kind of documentary you are looking for?

why they should do reverse engineering when they can buy spare parts?

Well, some spare parts can be bought but other need reverse engineering because the only supplier is the USA.

Edited by Ce_Zeta

That documentary states that 3 Iraqi MiGs were shot down with one Phoenix missile, and the remains of all three aircraft found on Khark Island after falling from 25,000 to 30,000 feet, proving that all 3 were destroyed? The island is just over 6km long and around 3 km wide. That's not at all convincing evidence, given that to identify 3 separate aircraft, then a significant quantity of debris would be needed for confirmation. Would you not agree? I find that documentary very difficult to swallow.

If that is dubious, then why should any other information coming out of Iran be taken as truthful? Maybe they do have a number of F-14s in an airworthy condition - airworthy in Iran probably means something very different to the standards of maintenance required elsewhere in the world of course - but getting them into the air is not the same thing as them possibly being considered effective combat aircraft.

Far be it for me to underestimate the abilities of Iranian engineers, but I suspect the reality falls far short of them being capable of maintaining 40 year old fighter aircraft of the order of sophistication of the F-14. Capable of getting into the air perhaps, but can you imagine the kind of fatigue those airframes will have suffered, and what desert conditions would do to the engines? The swing wings alone would present some enormous technical issues this far down the line I am sure.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? Hardly, unless they have been getting significant quantities of spares, or the original spares inventory was huge! Russian engines retro-fitted? Wouldn't it just be simpler to buy more modern airframes and just scrap the F-14 fleet?

It all seems very suspect to me, and I expect they'd be in a sorry state by now.

Edited by NeilWillis

That documentary states that 3 Iraqi MiGs were shot down with one Phoenix missile, and the remains of all three aircraft found on Khark Island after falling from 25,000 to 30,000 feet, proving that all 3 were destroyed? The island is just over 6km long and around 3 km wide. That's not at all convincing evidence, given that to identify 3 separate aircraft, then a significant quantity of debris would be needed for confirmation. Would you not agree? I find that documentary very difficult to swallow.

I've heard of this before, and apparently the planes were flying a tight formation at the time.

Consider that the largest warhead on an AMRAAM is 50lb, and the Phoenix had a 135lb warhead. It was designed to take down "larger prey."

Fantastic? Yes. Plausible? Yes.

aim7 have 6 kg warhead, aim9 have 11kg warhead, aim54's warhead is 60kg.

and as the compare, 155mm HE is 15-18kg, Katyusha M-30 rocket is 28.9kg.

aim54 is 4 times as the 155mm he, 2 times as the Katyusha.

and in other 2 mig it also loaded bomb or missile, maybe the explosion made the bomb blow up.

I've read the Osprey book on Iranian F-14s and some of the information came from pilots that defected and left Iran later. While fantastical, I think there's some credibility to the 1 shot-3 kill story. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, or a lie.

And the Hawk experiment was abandoned as the employment envelope was too restrictive. I think you had to be below 5k and the targets above 15k or some such.

• 1 year later...

Iranian F-14's documentary

The 1 shot / 3 kills is true. I met the pilot in person. It was at the beginning of the war, when they fired couple of Phoenixes. Iraqis Mig21 flew tight to hide their real number. The Iranian pilot recognize and decide to kill the middle one to destroy 2 other as collateral. Phoenix was very expensive and rare. They knew they can't replace them so were very stingy in firing them. In general F-14 has covered F-4s on their bombing missions, as whenever Iraqis knew there are Tomcats up there, they never got close! Tomcat pilots were instructed to use canons and only Sidewinder, when it is really necessary. They carried Phoenix just for the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubious to say the least. A pilot saying he did it means not much considering the history of dishonesty.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10