Radar's ability to see

Alfredson007

Okay been learning the MiG's weapon system and got many hits already :smartass:

I am just confused how inconsistently the radar works, sometimes the radar won't even pick up any targets eventhough they are within miles in front of me. Sometimes if i put it in standby mode and put it back on the targets re-appear. Is this a bug or user error? Is there differences how this old radar sees, or doesnt see, modern helicopters for example?

Thanks.

It is somewhat unrealiable. First of all, it works an arc that swings back and forth in front of the plane and the manual recommends that you give it 15 seconds to give you a full sweep of what is in front of you. Second, it only scans 1 degree below your horizontal line, which means that it essentially only points upwards. These are just some of its limitations. I recommend reading the manual and other threads in this forum to get a full insight into what the radar can do.

The full sweep cycle for the radar is 3 seconds (the 15 s figure in the manual is used in a different context), which has to be taken into account when waiting for the target indicator to "refresh", especially if You're maneuvering hard.

It might have problems with detecting helicopters (haven't tested it that way really), but that's what the "slow speed target" filtering button on the radar panel is supposed to be used for.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've tried locking helicopters with it (spotted visually) and have never succeeded, even with the low speed button and the chopper above me and the horizon slightly. As for fixed wing planes, there is sort of a minimum range on it. It isn't a hard minimum but if a target moves around the nose too rapidly the radar won't detect it I've found.