C-101 Does Not Support TM HOTAS Combined Map

jjohnson241

I'm trying to use a combined controller (joystick and Throttle) map with the C-101EB. Apparently the default LUA (joystick and keyboard) will not support a combined controller map. No keys can be assigned to the throttle in such a map.

The same problem exists with the Hawk.

All other aircraft in DCS however support a combined controller map. I know because with the exception of the CA module, I have a combined map working for all other modules.

Note: by combined map I mean under TM Target Software, the drivers for the controllers are combined to look like one device to DCS.

I working with VEAO now to address the Hawk.

I need your attention to this.

Thank you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

I use a combined map for all the aircraft in DCS. Target allows me to configure and print the map for reference. Also, I don't mess around with "clickable" cockpits. I prefer to map controls to a switch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

The same problem, or a similar one, has existed with the A-10C since it came out. I had to mod the default lua to fix the A-10C.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't own the 101 so I don't know what kind of mess you might have.

The A-10C issue has to do with the default Plug-n-Play functions, used for 3 position switches, not being available with the Warthog Combined connected.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If you have the Hawk, same problem.

I'm not a LUA expert. Both the Hawk and the C-101 appear to have butchered the default Keyboard and Joystick LUA files from other aircraft. The one thing that's common between them is that neither assign keys to the controls that can't be implemented on the throttle. I always thought that the Joystick LUA mirrored the Keyboard LUA and added/modified key commands as necessary.

Neither aircraft follow that convention.

Frankly, I don't know what the hell is wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

I haven't touched the Hawk since right after release. If the 1.2.15 release is still a mess then I won't be flying it anytime soon.

The control schemes need to be standardized by ED, yesterday!!!

I'm trying to use a combined controller (joystick and Throttle) map with the C-101EB. Apparently the default LUA (joystick and keyboard) will not support a combined controller map. No keys can be assigned to the throttle in such a map.

The same problem exists with the Hawk.

All other aircraft in DCS however support a combined controller map. I know because with the exception of the CA module, I have a combined map working for all other modules.

Note: by combined map I mean under TM Target Software, the drivers for the controllers are combined to look like one device to DCS.

I working with VEAO now to address the Hawk.

I need your attention to this.

Thank you.

In combined mode, you must assign keys in TARGET software, then in KEYBOARD for C-101.

As for AXIS - they should work normally.

I have a Warthog. :)

Best regards,

Tango.

I am using TM Warthog and do not use TARGET anywhere since day one. Keyboard or keyboard emulation... Too unreliable for Hard-core simming. Only pure direct input controls for my flight Sim pit and every aircraft configured and tuned individually, and I recommend to make this transition. Check AutoHotKey scripts for anything else you require.

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

For DCS it is best not to use TARGET (or at least, not combine the stick and throttle).

In what way(s) is Target a problem in DCS? Please elaborate.

I am using TM Warthog and do not use TARGET anywhere since day one. Keyboard or keyboard emulation... Too unreliable for Hard-core simming. Only pure direct input controls for my flight Sim pit and every aircraft configured and tuned individually, and I recommend to make this transition. Check AutoHotKey scripts for anything else you require.

How is AutoHotKey not keyboard emulation?

Edited by cichlidfan

I've never had a problem using Target to create profiles for DCS (or any other Sim for that matter).

Amazes me what folks come up with to justify what is basically a personal preference. :doh:

Well, there is a reson for this: it can cause odd issues ... as you now experienced. The more software involved, the more potential issues can come up.

But the current issue at hand seems to be similar to what we discussed over at the Hawk forum. So there should be an solution available that works "out of the box", I agree. But I also agree to the generalization that it is possibly better to get along without using those joystick programming softwares like TARGET (but it should probably explained a bit when making that statement, yes).

Too unreliable for Hard-core simming.

In what way is TARGET's combined mode result in outcomes that are "too unreliable". I've been using handwritten TARGET profiles in DCS for years and I've never had even the slightest problem with unreliability. If you program it right, it works right.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

In what way is TARGET's combined mode result in outcomes that are "too unreliable". I've been using handwritten TARGET profiles in DCS for years and I've never had even the slightest problem with unreliability. If you program it right, it works right.

I've had FAST dump on me and it seems like it happens in streaks, but I completely agree with what you're saying. You can do some amazing things with TARGET. I've created arrays for all of the discrete switch positions in the MiG-21 (like that 12 position weapon switch) and then assigned functions to the MFD rocker to increase or decrease the switch position where it just calls the next or previous switch position in the array. I've also created a routine for the Huey that swaps rotary axes from throttle and zoom to sight intensity and elevation when the XM60 sight is down, and puts the original axes back when the XM60 is stowed. Even for normal functions, I wouldn't trade the TEMPO command for anything!

I can't imagine going back at this point.

Edited by Home Fries

Well, there is a reson for this: it can cause odd issues ... as you now experienced. The more software involved, the more potential issues can come up.

But the current issue at hand seems to be similar to what we discussed over at the Hawk forum. So there should be an solution available that works "out of the box", I agree. But I also agree to the generalization that it is possibly better to get along without using those joystick programming softwares like TARGET (but it should probably explained a bit when making that statement, yes).

I don't use Target's scripting language. I only use a "simple" map created in Target's GUI. No scripts.

Aside from my blunders, I've never (repeat never) had a problem caused by a Controller map, combined or otherwise. I use Target maps for all aircraft in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Hi,

There is no reason for them not to work with the C-101. What exactly is it that doesn't work?

Best regards,

Tango.

We discussed it already at the Hawk bug forum and here we have a similar situation: in combined mode, not all HOTAS buttons/switches are exposed as DX buttons (DirectX limitation ... iirc max. 64?). Therefore one can only map some buttons to key presses in the TARGET software (keyboard emulation).

But for that to work well, the respective functions in the module must be accessible by keyboard combos as well - which is not always the case here.

Example: Throttle Idle Detent - only defined in the joystick/default.lua and therefore not reachable by the keyboard (and also not assignable).

It is not really a TM WH HOTAS specific problem, but an issue that there are a few functions missing in keyboard\default.lua that are present in joystick\default.lua (and vice versa? haven't checked yet).

See also the discussion at the Hawk forum, perhaps best starting with posting #18.

Tango,

The C-101EB is good to go using a combined controller map. The 101's .lua files are coded as Flagrum suggests they should be and your instruction to me in this thread, i.e., assign the keyboard keys using the keyboard in the Options menu, got me past the problem I was having.

The Hawk's LUA's do not follow the convention of including the all Joystick LUA definitions in the Keyboard LUA, hence using a combined map and assigning keyboard keys for functions not defined in both Joystick and keyboard LUA's is not possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67