Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

I bet they're all too busy trying not to laugh at our wild speculation to get any work done.

That would be funny! :lol:

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would put a months pay check on it one of the two planes is a Japanese Zero "Akagi." A close friend of mine clued me in on an old photo from Leatherneck. Before the F-14 was released there was a banner screen shot released with an "A" in the middle and the Japanese Flag behind hit. My friend recognized it right away and said the Akagi was the first naval Japanese fighter used in the attack on pearl harbor. He sent me some WW2 photos of the Akagi with that exact "A" on the tail. To also align this speculation, the screen shot taken off a landing gear strut from Leatherneck was the Struck of a Japanese Zero. Guess which one. It appears to me Leatherneck is sticking with a NAVAL theme for their aircraft. I am hoping the third aircraft will be an A-6 Intruder. Check out the "A" on the tail of this old photo. Little hard to see, but I am 99% sure this is one of the two aircraft.

Zero_Akagi_Dec1941.jpg.da325488818997800f934f2272cc7ec1.jpg

2.jpg.7a1d3adb83f99bb3124550bc2344ba39.jpg

Edited by robert.clark251

I like this speculation Robert !

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Hmm unfortunately I don't think we can read too much into the background images from there website and in regards to the A that was actually the silhouette of the F-14 ;)

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

34e83r5.jpg

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I would put a months pay check on it one of the two planes is a Japanese Zero "Akagi." A close friend of mine clued me in on an old photo from Leatherneck. Before the F-14 was released there was a banner screen shot released with an "A" in the middle and the Japanese Flag behind hit. My friend recognized it right away and said the Akagi was the first naval Japanese fighter used in the attack on pearl harbor. He sent me some WW2 photos of the Akagi with that exact "A" on the tail. To also align this speculation, the screen shot taken off a landing gear strut from Leatherneck was the Struck of a Japanese Zero. Guess which one. It appears to me Leatherneck is sticking with a NAVAL theme for their aircraft. I am hoping the third aircraft will be an A-6 Intruder. Check out the "A" on the tail of this old photo. Little hard to see, but I am 99% sure this is one of the two aircraft.

I always took the "A" to be a profile shot of the F-14 with wings swept - you can see a small rounded kink on the left side which correlates with the location of the wing sweep pivot. In retrospect, I think it was more of a hint for the pending F-14.

Here is the same banner with contrast added (from Zakatak's post):

f14_f4u.png

There is a rising sun and the left side really looks like the cockpit of an F4U. That said, Cobra stated that the September (we hope!) announcement will be for a module that is part of a larger project. I have a feeling that the larger project will be DCS: WWII PTO based on prior hints and this banner. But the LNS module announced will be the F4U-1 or F4U-1A based on Vella Lavella with VMF-214. LNS stated that their next module is closely tied to their name (Leatherneck is a reference to USMC aviators), Cobra's current profile shot is a Black Sheep, the cockpit shot looks like an F4U, Rudel has referenced the Black Sheep a few times in older posts, and there was a F4U pic briefly posted on the DCS A10C facebook page on the last day of August (since taken down...which is highly suspect :)). All of this taken together points to a F4U for the September aircraft, BUT - I think that either LNS or another developer (ED/Belsimtek/etc) will also develop further modules for ~1943-early 1944 PTO theater aircraft to complement the F4U and South Pacific map. The likely candidates are the A6M3 (awesome!), P-40F (VEAO is set to release it soon), P-38, F6F, etc.

In short, I think will get a Zero - not necessarily as the next announced aircraft (though certainly possible even with these other hints), but sometime in the near term.

Also, I doubt any LNS module prior to the F-14 will be a 2-seater, because such a module would require Jester AI (or equivalent which is not known to exist) to support it. I think that more 2-seater modules will follow the F-14, but not precede it.

My 2 cents,

Nick

Here is the same banner with contrast added (from Zakatak's post):

There is a rising sun and the left side really looks like the cockpit of an F4U. That said, Cobra stated that the September (we hope!) announcement will be for a module that is part of a larger project. I have a feeling that the larger project will be DCS: WWII PTO based on prior hints and this banner. But the LNS module announced will be the F4U-1 or F4U-1A based on Vella Lavella with VMF-214. LNS stated that their next module is closely tied to their name (Leatherneck is a reference to USMC aviators), Cobra's current profile shot is a Black Sheep, the cockpit shot looks like an F4U, Rudel has referenced the Black Sheep a few times in older posts, and there was a F4U pic briefly posted on the DCS A10C facebook page on the last day of August (since taken down...which is highly suspect :)). All of this taken together points to a F4U for the September aircraft, BUT - I think that either LNS or another developer (ED/Belsimtek/etc) will also develop further modules for ~1943-early 1944 PTO theater aircraft to complement the F4U and South Pacific map. The likely candidates are the A6M3 (awesome!), P-40F (VEAO is set to release it soon), P-38, F6F, etc.

In short, I think will get a Zero - not necessarily as the next announced aircraft (though certainly possible even with these other hints), but sometime in the near term.

My 2 cents,

Nick

I hope it will be a birdcage model, it's so often omitted in sims yet it was the actual F4U VFM-214 started flying.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Soviet need love that's all.

Mig-21 is lonely against the two F-18 , F-14 , Mirage F1 and 2000C , typhoon remember razbam will do F-15E.

Mig-21 cant fight thoe fighters , I secretly hope it get help not from a 25 but from a mig-23.

+1

And Cobra stop torturing us!!!

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Soviet need love that's all.

Mig-21 is lonely against the two F-18 , F-14 , Mirage F1 and 2000C , typhoon remember razbam will do F-15E.

Mig-21 cant fight thoe fighters , I secretly hope it get help not from a 25 but from a mig-23.

Yep, Mig-23 will be totally fine against f-15 :thumbup:

I am interested in eventually getting a flogger but, I'd rather be in a fishbed than it when I'm up close against any fighter. Yes the 23 has a better radar, a very limited look down capability and somewhat of a BVR capability as well as pretty crazy acceleration but if you play that game 4th gen fighters are still vastly superiour anyway and you'd still stick to same ambush game with the 23 as it was in 21. In that case at least 21 is less of a dog to fly. While I would still want to play with a MiG-23, I'd rather prefer a MiG-27 and stick to ground pounding as farvas floggers go.

With barely better avionics, same rwr (if i'm correct) and marginally better missiles, as well as less pleasant flight characteristics, the expectation of it being much of an improvement on MiG-21 against later fighters is erroneous in my opinion.

May be only the MLD with R-73, big countermeasure dispensers etc may be an improvement of any significance.

Edited by WinterH
fixing typos galore... autocorrect = damned if you do, damned if you don't :p

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

With barely better avionics, same rwr (if i'm correct) and marginally better missiles, as well aa less pleasant flight characteristics, the expectation of it being much of an improvement on MiG-21 against later fighters is erroneous un my opinion.

Late Floggers have the Beryoza as their RWR. But as to opponents for the 21 & 23, I always saw them as enemies for possible F-5 & F-4 modules respectively. If you want a Russian plane to take on the F/A-18 it would have to be a full fidelity MiG-29M or K

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are a few different discussions going here. One is about what spectacular new aircraft LN is giving us next; another is what spectacular new aircraft the community needs.

I think we most of all need to populate DCS with aircraft of similar age, role and capability to the Mig-21, so the Flogger, F-4 and F-5 are all favourites of mine. That way we can have servers running that don't feature more modern aircraft, but which still offer all the different styles of play. In fact the best thing I could imagine is a 1970s FC3-style package for the many that are new to DCS (or who do not seek the A-10C/Mig-21 type of fidelity).

I am interested in eventually getting a flogger but, I'd rather be in a fishbed than it when I'm up close against any fighter. Yes the 23 has a better radar, a very limited look down capability and somewhat of a BVR capability as well as pretty crazy acceleration but if you play that game 4th gen fighters are still vastly superiour anyway and you'd still stick to same ambush game with the 23 as it was in 21. In that case at least 21 is less of a dog to fly. While I would still want to play with a MiG-23, I'd rather prefer a MiG-27 and stick to ground pounding as farvas floggers go.

With barely better avionics, same rwr (if i'm correct) and marginally better missiles, as well as less pleasant flight characteristics, the expectation of it being much of an improvement on MiG-21 against later fighters is erroneous in my opinion.

May be only the MLD with R-73, big countermeasure dispensers etc may be an improvement of any significance.

Can't disagree with anything you have stated but I still really want it!!! :pilotfly:

F5,F4E Vs MiG-21,MiG-23 would be amazing (Plus bombers etc..)!

EDIT:

Personally though I would stick to MiG-23 for boom and zoom tactics, it is faster and longer range as well as the improved radar! ;)

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

Can't disagree with anything you have stated but I still really want it!!! :pilotfly:

F5,F4E Vs MiG-21,MiG-23 would be amazing (Plus bombers etc..)!

EDIT:

Personally though I would stick to MiG-23 for boom and zoom tactics, it is faster and longer range as well as the improved radar! ;)

Yeah, I would want it as well, I was just pointing that I don't think it would be that much better than the 21 against more modern opponents.

As for B&Z, I'm not sure if it work quite the same as it does with warbird battles. May be if we think guns only or only low capability IR missiles, than it possibly can work since MiG-23 has pretty crazy acceleration, putting even some of the 4th gen fighters to shame in that field. But I'm not sure if it would be an overall viable / realiable tactic.

Don't get me wrong, when we get a flogger, it would be still challenging, interesting, and fun, as well as potentially opening way to MiG-27 as well which itself would be great ground pounder to have.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Pure speculation here but couldn't "new and unique propulsion" equal MV-22 Osprey? Not sure if that had been mentioned yet. Of course the part of a larger project statement combined with a new and unique propulsion system makes me think Millennium Falcon...

Toten

Tiger-Spit-Viggen-Fishbed-Sabre-Dora-Kurfurst-Mustang-Huey-Warthog-Hip-Black Shark Driver (Not necessarily in that order)

MSI 970A-G40 MoBo, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, Patriot Viper 24 GB DDR3, Nvidia Ge Force 1060 3 GB GPU

Pure speculation here but couldn't "new and unique propulsion" equal MV-22 Osprey? Not sure if that had been mentioned yet. Of course the part of a larger project statement combined with a new and unique propulsion system makes me think Millennium Falcon...

I doubt the Osprey would attract a lot of customers. So far all DCS aircraft, including trainers, have some degree of combat capability - The main selling point in DCS compared to other sims is that it models ground and air combat. And while it'd be interesting to insert troops under fire or perform medevac, an Osprey module would be directly concurrenced by modules for other, non combat-focused sims.

But I definitely agree that the Osprey should be in DCS, at least as an AI aircraft.