Using Razer Orbweaver in DCS

Has anyone tried to use a Razer Orbweaver as a means to control the OSBbuttons.

My Orbweaver has 20 keys layered on 8 KeyMaps; thta's a lot of extra keystroks that reduce mounsclick. I've already eliminated the need for reahing for the F-Key for Radio interaction

which I want to map to the OSBs but I dont know whether those OBs have a native default assignment from the keyboard. This would further reduce going to the mouse to reach them.

Any thoughts on this..any ideas, or experience with this keyboard in DCS A-10C Just another input devise that is easier to work with without a keyboard.

Please advise...appreciate the help.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Depending if the Orbweaver emulates a keyboard or a USB controller. If it is a USB controller (directX) it can be assigned to the OSB buttons directly in the control setup.

If it emulates a keyboard you need to assign Key strokes or combos to the OSB buttons in the control page and then map these to the Orbweaver...

Check out the Controls configuration manual in the c:/program files/eagle dynamics/DCS world/docs folder. It explains the control setup pretty well!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

@ shagrat & tommytank...

whoa...just read my own last entry and realized the martinis were surely being served onboard that flight:)

The Razer Orbweaver (USB mini keyboard) allows me to implement simple keyboard entries as well as more complex macros to achieve various keyboard tasks. So I assigned various simple keyboard tasks associated with Comms; all the basic F functions so far successfully. No need to reach for the keyboard now for Comms.

I would like to see if there are keyboard commands (combinations) that directly address the MCFDs so I can further eliminate the use of my mouse. As I tried to say, (inebriatedly..if that's a word), the Orbweaver has 20 buttons x 8 KeyMaps (layers) so I've used Keymap#1 for Comms and wanted to try using KeyMap#2 for Left MCFD and #3 for Right MCFD, etc. Then I just cycle through the Orbweaver to the KeyMaps for the various MCFDs.

I looked at the 'Controls configuration manual' that shagrat kindly provided and I'm still pondering over how I can do this whole thing. I'm a little new to this simulator and the Orbweaver but hopefully can avoid the regular keyboard & mouse as much as possible.

I'll try again without the martinis this time but any help, thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated :)

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

OK. So it will be a keyboard in the control setup.

The first column in the setup page is the keyboard. Select MFCDs from the Section pulldown menu to filter, or scroll manually down until the Right/left MFCD OSB1 to OSB20 show... The OnScreenButtons are numbered 1 to 20 clockwise, starting on the left top row button.

Now in the Keyboard column there is everything empty by default. You could now assign key combos like LShift+LAlt+1 and LShift+LAlt+2 and so on to the OSB1 to OSB10 and then use LShift+LAlt+a and so on for the remaining. Now use the Orbweaver to send these exact key combos to the Buttons you like.

For the second MFCD repeat the same just change the modifier e.g. LShift+RAlt+1 and so on...

Only drawbacks, you may have conflicting key combos (that is why you won't like to use the simple keystrokes) and or you may inadvertently press a key on the Orbweaver that sends a LShift+LAlt+1 and in parallel hitting a key on the keyboard send a LShift+LAlt+<key you pressed> in parallel.

In general that should work.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

OK. So it will be a keyboard in the control setup.

No. The keys on the OrbWeaver do not send out anything until you tell them what keystrokes to send.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Looks like I'm going to have to wrap my head around this, another project for the weekend.

Yes, XtraChrisP...I'm trying to eliminate the full keyboard , and as much mouse activity as possible. My eyes are sh#t so focusing on the monitor and then down on the keyboard is time consuming and frustrating. Think Grandpa Simpson :)

The Orbweaver sits flap up against my HOTAS Warthog Throttle so it's a mere glance and I'm accustomed to where all the keys are.

It's a working in progress...

Think if it this way: You assign LShift+LAlt+1 to an Orbweaver button.

Now you need to tell DCS that LShift+LAlt+1 on the "Keyboard" should "press" the OSB1 on the left MFCD in the Sim...

Shagrat

Default keyboard settings do not assign any key to the OSBs, so you need to add them in DCS first.

Shagrat

Yes, cichlidfan....would that mean I need to tell both what to do?

Example; could I tell Orbweaver that this particular key = 'AAAA' and then tell the DCS options setup that the recognized device 'Orbweaver' has control over OSB#1 with 'AAAA'?

If you get a USB HID controller device like the Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs or any USB device sending DirectX button presses, you could assign these directly to the OSB in DCS.

As the Orbweaver only sends "Keyboard" keystrokes or combos, you need to add a key combo to the setup for the OSB first.

Shagrat

Yes. You need to tell both DCS and the OrbWeaver what you want.

What you need to do is set key commands in the game for each OSB, then program the Orb Weaver keys, in the Razer software, to send the commands you defined in DCS. The only reason the OrbWeaver has a column in DCS is because of the little joystick on it. You can't program any of the buttons inside of DCS directly like you would a joystick button.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DISREGARD! JUST READ Chichlids post! Wait a second! Does Orbweaver show as a Column name and n the controls setup? If yes it is recognized, as a directX device and you could try to assign buttons to DCS directly...

Shagrat

Wait a second! Does Orbweaver show as a Column name and n the controls setup? If yes it is recognized, as a directX device and you could try to assign buttons to DCS directly...

It won't work. Both the Logitech G13 and the various similar Razer products have a joystick which is recognized, but the keys do not send out DX signals.

EDIT: I have a G13 and an OrbWeaver.

Edited by cichlidfan

Yes, it does show up in a column as a separate device along with Keyboard, TH HOTAS Joystick, TH HOTUS Throttle, TrackerIR and Saitek Pedals.

It would certainly be easier to get the Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs but:

a) I'm in Shanghai and it's hard to find any of this stuff

b) I'm in Shanghai and it cost me 1.5 x normal

c) My 'mule' that brings me this stuff might get tired of explain to Chinese Customs what all this shit is :)

d) Love the challenge...

:D :D :D

Shagrat

Just remembered something about the Orbweaver. I don't have it hooked up to test but according to the manual you can program keys to send 'Joystick functions'. This may solve the problem and possibly allow direct assignments in DCS.

From the manual:

Joystick Function

With this option you can change the functionality of any key into a joystick button or an

analog stick direction. To choose a joystick function, select JOYSTICK FUNCTION from

the Key Assignment Menu and an ASSIGN BUTTON submenu will appear.

This is where the Razer products, including their keyboards (IIRC), differ from products from other vendors. You can't do this with a Logitech G13 or keyboard.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. Apparently, I own too many devices to remember how they all work. :)

Edited by cichlidfan

YES! That's what we were looking for! Good find.

Shagrat

YES! That's what we were looking for! Good find.

I knew there was a reason that I bought the OrbWeaver after already owning a G13. Now that I use Helios it isn't really needed.

Guys, I'm brand new to this sim; got it as a gift from my 'mule' after he saw it on YouTube

I've already spent 20 x the cost of the sim for all the input devices plus he just brought me a Razer BlackShark Headset.

The boyz at the bar think I've really gone off the deep end....but hey, they just don't get it...right?

Maybe one of you more experienced members can start another thread for an Orbweaver so we don't highjack this one too much....your thoughts?

I am going to hook up my OrbWeaver and try some things. I will let you know what I figure out later today. I will also ask a moderator to create a thread with these posts, in the appropriate place.

Just in case you don't have it. Here is the latest manual for the Orbweaver.

OrbweaverOMG-ENG.pdf

Edited by cichlidfan

OK. My day officially sucks. My Warthog joystick has become a paperweight. :cry: Just ordered a new one. I'll contact TM tomorrow to see how much a new board will cost to fix the old one. The only silver lining is that I did want a second one, at some point, just not right now.

Back on topic...

It works. You can program a button (or even a position on the little joystick) on the Orbweaver as a joystick button numbered 1-24. For some reason they stop at 24 but that is adequate for the purpose. Once the buttons have been assigned to joystick button values you can then configure the Orbweaver inside of DCS just like any joystick.

The buttons can also be configured to increase or decrease (one or the other) a specific joystick axis (X, Y, Z, RX, RY, RZ).

It is worth noting that if you use the pulldown, in the DCS assignment window, to select the joystick button, instead of just pressing the desired key, all possible buttons will be available for selection even if they have not been programmed into the Orbweaver profile currently in use.

If you need detailed instructions, just let me know.

• Thanks 1