How does HOJ work

nickexists

I've known about HOJ for a while but never paid much attention to it until the other day I realized that if you fire a 27er on a jamming target and then shut off the radar the missile will continue to track ( in pure pursuit). I'm curious how this looks on the target rwr. If you fire a missile really quick and then turn off radar will the target know that they have a missile coming at it? What about if you keep the radar tracking? I'm also curious, if you fire a missile at a jamming target and continue to track it, will the missile fly a better intercept once you get burn through or will it do pure pursuit the whole way?

As a side question does TWS in the flanker have any purpose in FC3?

Right now what I see the R-27ER just tracks the target in pure pursuit, there is not lofty trajectory or data-link or anything. And yes when you launch HOJ target will get RWR warning but as soon as you break lock it will disappear.

I scan mode you don't get approximate distance and height of target in TWS mode you get distance, altitude and direction of target and still the RADAR keeps scanning for more targets. You will notice that in the absence in AWACS.

In TWS the radar will maintain the correct antenna direction without you having to manually correct for altitude range and direction as you both manoeuvre (it will track the target as it continues to scan).

For example if in scan mode you have the radar pointed at a target dead ahead at + 5km altitude & 90km range, and you turn 45 degrees & gain 5km altitude & close 10km, the target will disappear off your scan unless you manually change the altitude & scan sector.

In TWS the radar scan will stay centred on the target regardless.

Best to keep tabs on where your radar is actually set though & manually update the default as you go because if the TWS track is lost, the radar will revert to the current manual settings.

Cheers.

Thanks. I don't see any of what you are saying about TWS though. It doesn't give me any altitude information and I can get range and aspect just fine in normal scan mode .

In scan mode you will get all that info. only if you lock the target otherwise not.

In TWS mode you just take the cursor over the target and even without locking you will get its speed and altitude information.

Right now what I see the R-27ER just tracks the target in pure pursuit, there is not lofty trajectory or data-link or anything. And yes when you launch HOJ target will get RWR warning but as soon as you break lock it will disappear.

There is no launch warning with home on jam until the missile is within a set range, there is only a lock tone.

The HOJ shot will fly pure pursuit until set range when it then flies to intercept if burn through is achieved.

The set range seems to be similair to the ARH missile seeker radar range so probably simulating a form of clarity achieved on the SARH seeker side.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Yes, it has the same purpose as in RL: Enhancing situational awareness.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not sure what the deal is but I don't see any speed or altitude info in TWS when i place the cursor over the target. I only get this info once I get into launch range and it automatically goes to single track.

My bad bro. There is no speed or altitude. I think I was smoking weed while typing.