Chuck's MiG-15bis Guide

Charly_Owl

it uses custom terrain.cfg file

Yeah, I'm using a mod with an old Bazar/Terrain/terrain.cfg.lua, so that must be what broke it. Thanks.

EDIT: Nope, it's something else. Tried with the newest stock file and still no go.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Hi Chuck,

On page 21 of your guide, .. 'Flaps Lever' .. do you have the 'Top Position' and 'Neutral' reversed?, .. or is there a bug in the Flap Sequencing?

I've noticed, .. in the Flap Retract Sequence, .. that going from 55 to 20 is not possible .. is this correct for the Mig-15?, .. or a wee buggie?

e.g.:- Extend .. (btw, .. when I say Neutral and Retract below, .. I'm assuming Retract is the Top position, and Neutral is the 2nd position (not as per Chuck's guide, but as per what is actually going on)).

1st click = Flap Neutral (2nd position on handle): No Flap Movement (BTW, .. the Mig-15 User Guide (pg 12) says .. R(L)Shift F once to lower the Flaps to 20. It actually requires 2x L.Shift F clicks)

2nd click = Flap 20 (3rd position): Flaps extend to 20

3rd click = Flap 55 (4th position): Flaps extend to 55

Retract ..

1st click = Flap 20 (3rd position): No Flap movement

2nd click = Flap Neutral (2nd position): No Flap movement (N.B. if Chuck's guide was correct, Flaps should have Retracted fully here).

3rd click = Flap Retract (top position): Flaps retract fully.

So, if Chuck's guide is correct for the Retract position on the handle, .. then there is a bug in the Flap Retract sequence

Thanks again for your guide Chuck .. it's been very helpful. :thumbup:

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Thomasew

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

I mixed up the uppermost and the 2nd positions when I wrote that... I was probably getting tired at that point. Some small mistakes are bound to slip by... especially when you reach the 60-pages mark.

Fix has been uploaded on page 21.

UP POSITION = RETRACT

2nd POSITION = NEUTRAL

3rd POSITION = 20 DEG

LOW POSITION = 55 DEG

Well, at least some ATCs seem to work after all.

Just did a cold start from Batumi. The ATC there (4.250 MHz, ch. 170) answers immediately, no problems whatsoever. But for some strange reason I still can't get Sochi to reply. Hmmm...

EDIT: and oh yeah Chuck, it works by just following your instructions. So that part at least is 100% correct.

Edited by msalama

OK, having removed this ancient mod with a broken terrain.cfg.lua some 2 hours ago I now find the 15bis tower frequencies are actually all there. I just wonder what caused the delay - is there a backend database in there somewhere that couldn't get its tables updated before I first checked this or something? Anyway, will test a couple more AFs later & keep you posted :)

Chuck, any progress on your end?

Edited by msalama

OK, having removed this ancient mod with a broken terrain.cfg.lua some 2 hours ago I now find the 15bis tower frequencies are actually all there. I just wonder what caused the delay - is there a backend database in there somewhere that couldn't get its tables updated before I first checked this or something? Anyway, will test a couple more AFs later & keep you posted :)

Chuck, any progress on your end?

I had the same issue before (couldn't see the frequencies for the MiG for some reason) but I just repaired the install and that fixed it.

Still running into issues with the ATC though.

He just won't call me back...

FsUdwdl.jpg

Edited by Charly_Owl

I had the same issue before (couldn't see the frequencies for the MiG for some reason) but I just repaired the install and that fixed it.

Still running into issues with the ATC though.

He just won't call me back...

FsUdwdl.jpg

it's weird. it works fine for me. what about rebuild a mission from scratch?

sometimes, the atc response could have a huge delay.

also if you are using mustang's shader mod, update it to latest.

1.2.15 put some radio func into terrain.cfg.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Krymsk AB seems to be broken too. They hear me OK when contacted on channel 156, but I get no aural response, just text. The radios are setup as per Chuck's instructions, which demonstrably _do_ work on some airfields.

I don't know. ATC be damned; wait for a patch and just fly this incredible bird in the meantime?

Guys, I think I found the reason. The radio calls use wrong AF names on the bases that are not responding; whereas on others, they are correct and those work 100% A-OK (f.ex. Batumi and Anapa).

So it _is_ a beta thing after all it seems :)

Edited by msalama

Great Work, Chuck. :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can now confirm that the next guide will be the MiG-21bis. However it might take a couple of weeks before I feel comfortable enough to write about it. I want to make sure I know what I am talking about.

Thank you Charly. :thumbup:

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I have a correction on the oxygen supply system on the current page 21.

You state we should leave the air valve in the forward position.

I am pretty sure we have to turn it backwards instead, as the Oxygen flow meter will only then commence its flapping indications.

I though admit this may be bugged, since the writing in the valve clearly states the close position to be backwards.

So in the guide you are telling the truth but in the sim it works 180° wrong currently...

I will post it in the bug section in case I don't find it there.

Nope. Chuck's right. You're reading the label wrong. Look:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/images/products/mig15bis/40.png

See the arrow next to the label? You're not supposed to read the label as "open" and "close" but rather "rotate this way to open", "rotate this way to close". Thus, forward position is open.

Also here's a quote from the description:

The pilot breathes surrounding pressurized cockpit air up to a cockpit (pressurized) altitude of 2000 m, i.e. the pilot is not supplied with oxygen from the tanks by the oxygen supply system. At altitudes between 2000 and 8000 m, the percentage of oxygen in the regulator mixture begins to increase. At cockpit altitudes over 8000 m, the pilot is supplied with 100% oxygen.

In normal conditions, you're supposed to see no flow on the ground and, as you climb past 2000m cockipt altitude, an increase in flow up to 8000m, at which point you'll start receiving pure oxygen. Take off with the valve in the forward position and that's exactly what'll happen.

OTOH if you close the air valve, the KP-14 will feed you 100% pure oxygen at all altitudes because it can't pull any air from the cockpit.

Nope. Chuck's right. You're reading the label wrong. Look:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/images/products/mig15bis/40.png

See the arrow next to the label? You're not supposed to read the label as "open" and "close" but rather "rotate this way to open", "rotate this way to close". Thus, forward position is open.

just what I said:

the writing in the valve clearly states the close position to be backwards.

What remained unclear until now was the exact purpose of the air valve. Thanks for the description!

Oops, sorry, I should have read that more carefully. Either way, in normal conditions you just leave the valve in the open/forward position and let the KP-14 do its thing. The only reason to close it that I can think of is if there's something nasty in the cockpit (smoke, fumes...) that you would rather not breathe?

yeah probably.

But since now I got your attention, I have another issue I would like to hear your opinion of: On page 12 we see the cockpit main panel. On the bottom right we see the "Fuel flow gauge" reading kilogramms per hour. But on the instrument it reads kg/cm² which would indicate a pressure. So what do we have here? Could that be the exhaust gas pressure, a pressure at a specific stage inside the turbine or any indication of thrust?

I think we can safely assume, it at least doesn't show fuel flow...

This instrument is indeed a fuel pressure gauge. It's name is ЭМ-10 (or EM-10 in English). It measures fuel pressure "in the front part of the engine, on the same line as the fuel pressure indicator of the ЭМИ-ЗР" according to the Russian manual. The ЭМИ-ЗР (EMI-3R) is the combined fuel pressure/oil pressure/oil temp indicator on the left of the ЭМ-10. Why two pressure manometers in the same place? The ЭМ-10 shows you pressures up to 10kg/cm2 with a finer resolution of 0.4kg/cm2, while the ЭМИ-ЗР has a scale going up to 100kg/cm2 and a coarse resolution of 2kg/cm2.

EDIT: Ahh, I see you found it already :)