Trying to Take off "By the Book"

SharpeXB

I'm trying to follow these instructions from the manual exactly and it doesn't seem to be working, especially the two bolded sections. all the takeoff videos and tutorials I see people are rotating up off the tail like the P-51D

Holding the stick slightly back still leads to the drop of the left wing

Full throttle at 3300 RPMs seems to difficult to control and most people use only 2500

I'm trying to post a track but I keep having game crash problems too

"6. Pushing the stick forward unlocks the tail wheel, thereby making steering difficult. The best takeoff procedure is to hold the tail down by pulling the stick toward you until sufficient speed for rudder control is attained and then to allow the tail to rise slowly. Some rudder input may be necessary to maintain heading as the tail is lifted and stabilized in a takeoff attitude.

7. Swiftly advance throttle into take-off position. Hold flight stick back with only a light feel, but do not push forward.

8. Take-Off distance on the runway without wind effect is approximately 350-400m.

9. Take-off is at IAS = 170-180 km/h and performed on three points throughout take-off roll. Keep aircraft straight, the aircraft does not have a tendency to break out.

10. During takeoff, engine speed may reach a maximum of 3,300 RPM. "

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

For myself the trick to getting the P-51 right was to follow exactly the wording in the manual, surprise it works!

Yes I'm sure the wing drop is caused by too much back on the stick without enough speed and stalling. When the manual says to keep back pressure on the stick it says very light pressure.

Using ailerons to counter the wing drop has to be a no no because then you're sideslipping countering that with the rudder to stay aligned on the runway.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yeah, but the manual says (you´ve posted it yourself):

The best takeoff procedure is to hold the tail down until sufficient speed for rudder control is attained and then to allow the tail to rise slowly. Some rudder input may be necessary to maintain heading as the tail is lifted and stabilized in a takeoff attitude.
So at some point you are supposed to let the tail come up and therefore let the stick come forward.

As soon as you´ve built up enough speed afterwards you can pull again to gently take off.

Edited by golani79

Yes. I find that with these things if I read the manual and it doesn't seem to work. Read it again... :book:

Holding the stick slightly back still leads to the drop of the left wing

In my case this was happening because the airplane was becoming airborne while I was still holding the stick back. It was very puzzling because when the wing was dropping, It looked to me as the plane was still on the ground, but it was not. I started lifting the tail much faster and the wing didn't drop anymore.

In my case this was happening because the airplane was becoming airborne while I was still holding the stick back. It was very puzzling because when the wing was dropping, It looked to me as the plane was still on the ground, but it was not. I started lifting the tail much faster and the wing didn't drop anymore.

Yes that's what I've figured out. Don't hold the tail down too long. And don't push the stick forward, just center it like the manual says and let the tail rise by itself.

I cant find the thread, but the magic fix for me was adjusting the fixed aileron trim a couple degrees in the config, it created a much more stable aircraft in flight for me also.

I do not know if the current updates changed it?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, but the manual says (you´ve posted it yourself):

So at some point you are supposed to let the tail come up and therefore let the stick come forward.

As soon as you´ve built up enough speed afterwards you can pull again to gently take off.

That works for me. Up on two wheels, then lots of speed, I then firewall the throttle, it will lift off the runway without using the flight stick (joystick) and no wing drop either side. That is without any wind (LOL!).

But getting it correct 100% of the time is not always perfect and I still will crash attempting takeoff sometimes.

Elevator trim is set to zero without bomb or fuel tank. With bomb or fuel tank I am more nose heavy, I enter some up elevator trim.

By far, the Fw-190 in DCS, for me, is trickier for takeoff and landing than the P-51 or Bf-109. It is a beautiful thing when it is done correctly.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heck yes, very challenging and it needs 100% of your concentration and some luck.

Landing those birds aint easy as well, I just managed my first landings in the Me and Fw, thanks to my new rudder pedals and brakes. With a twist stick I was so lost that I gave up on it !

The german props are my next project after I finish the Mig's and C-101.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...

I find that I can take off once in awhile when just in single player practice. As soon as I go to multiplayer, I crash almost every time. I start getting better, then I just lose it again.

When you sit here for hours and just crash, the time it takes from crash to restart drives

me crazy too !! LOL !!!

I do experience that rolling over to the left and My wing touches, but I do not think

I am leaving the ground yet when that happens.

I started to mess with curves and dead spots, thinking my setup was too sensitive

and making me over shoot or something, then I just put everything back to normal.

I have to try actually letting the stick go and see what happens !

I wont give up, but I do remember the P-51 did the same thing to me

and once I learned to have the stick back and to the right, I never

crash on take off anymore.

I will have to read the manual again myself, although Im sure you

covered it here with all the reading I did.

Thank You for the advice and help.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The difficult level currently at:

Mustang - easy to land and takeoff even on grass.

Dora - Stick back to lock the wheel, use the lh / rh breaks if you need to and slowly let the tail up as you 'feel' the rudder having an affect on movement then inputs as needed. Landing - read the manual for the speed or 'feel' and everything else is like mustang.

109 - Easier to takeoff than the dora, but landing requires you have both wheels level or wing scrapes you're gonna die etc.

There is only one certainty. You will crash many times. To be fair I land most of the planes the same way now. You get a 'feel' eventually.

Watch your replays and slow them right down on landing or takeoff and you'll see what you're not reacting to.

Worth having a go at other sims like the Il2 clod or something.

I found my sweet spot for curves is 23, but that's just me.

Don't foreget that you can call the tower to repair if you don't kill or explode the plane.

Wheels up landings are good to find the stall speed when you're new. I'd get some gameplay, but my mobo is dead on my pc.