F-14 Literature

REDEYE_CVW-66

I would recommend The great book of modern warplanes by Mike Spick. I have the 2002 edition that basically had a chapter for each modern aircraft, F14, F15, F16, F18, A10 etc, there may be a newer version. Originally these individual chapters where available as books on there own such is the detail. They are divided into development, powerplant, avionics, armament etc. For example it details F14 Phoenix missile testing in which 6 Phoenix missiles where fired at 6 drone targets simultaneously. The book will also serve the purpose for potential future modules. Massive book 605 pages, 14.6 x 10.5 x 1.6 inches, full gloss print. ISBN 1840651563. Check it out!

Edited by Mathius_001

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

For details:

F-14: Shipborne Superfighter (done by John Lake and the crew of World Air Power Journal) is considered the most definitive single source, and you pay for that on the secondary market. Repeats some of what's covered in World Air Power Journal issue 7 (which had the F-14 as focus aircraft), but a depth of other material. Add International Air Power Review issue 3 (authored by same crew) and you've got early-mid and late all pretty well covered.

Grumman F-14 Tomcat - Leading US Navy Fleet Fighter by Dennis Jenkins (part of the Aerofax series). Later book with some more of the technical details of the program as a whole.

Grumman F-14 by James Perry Stevenson. Older (late 70s), but had a data set for the time that was still borderline-classified and got the author (editor of the NFWS' TOPGUN Journal) in trouble.

Tomcat! The Grumman F-14 Story by RADM Paul T. Gilchrist, USN (RET). More "inside baseball" type stores of the early to mid period of the aircraft.

Janes - How to Fly the F-14 Tomcat by David Rockwell. Has a couple of issues, but is generally a good explanation of how the Tomcat was used operationally.

And of course, 01-F14AAA-1 and 01-F14AAD-1 for under the hood, and 01-F14AAA-1.1 and 01-F14AAP-1.1 for performance.

For pictures:

DACO Uncovering the F-14

The Cutting Edge by CJ Heatley III - early photo album of the F-14, along with other Navy aircraft, with the images produced by an F-14 pilot (and former 4477th' attached MiG-driver- !).

Tomcat Alley by David Brown

Grumman F-14 Tomcat: Bye Bye Baby by Dave Parsons, George Hall, and Bob Lawson. Photos and reminiscences of the jet. Fortunate to have gotten one of the 712 (BUNO-sequence matched) limited edition copies a few years back from Mr. Halls widow.

There's a few more out there, but those are my favorites.

Ditto on lunaticfringe and Mathius. I was lucky enough to order the World Air Power Journal book as soon as it was available for order, but the information the GREAT BIG BOOK OF WARPLANES (lol love that title), cannot be understated.

For information on the F-14A, there is a very old book, that does a better job than any book, explaining the impact the F-14 would have. It also shows EM diagrams, with values removed(then classified data) that showed how much better the F-14 was than the MiG-21 and also showed the -401 engine F-14B.

It's called Tomcat Aero series 25, by James Perry Stevenson. It does a great job explaining AWG-9 radar modes and showing some display information.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

For details:

F-14: Shipborne Superfighter (done by John Lake and the crew of World Air Power Journal) is considered the most definitive single source, and you pay for that on the secondary market. Repeats some of what's covered in World Air Power Journal issue 7 (which had the F-14 as focus aircraft), but a depth of other material. Add International Air Power Review issue 3 (authored by same crew) and you've got early-mid and late all pretty well covered.

Can't find it. Do you have an ISBN?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just finished reading "Top Gun Days" by David 'Bio' Baranek -- an F-14 RIO and TOPGUN instructor.

He was instrumental in filming some of the F-5 scenes for the Top Gun film.

Highly recommended.

Just finished reading that myself, was a good read. Gave a good bit of insight into how the RIO in the F-14 operates. Also he experienced a live ejection out of a 'cat just off of a carrier, so the guy's got credentials there! His Top Gun info was very interesting as well, not to mention the reaction to his Top Gun shirt once the movie came out lol. Detailed enough info, but not detailed enough to make it feel like you are reading a drawn out tech specs manual. Was interesting to see how the RIO deals with the AWG-9, comms and how it enhances the pilots ability to function.

Only thing on there is the D model Flight Manual and the checklists for B. No Flight manuals for A/B

Try searching on Scribid, there are a few different manuals and the check list on there

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I have only found A-manuals (AAA-1 and AAA-1.1 - flight manual and performance charts) on pay sites, not for free (unlike the AAD-1).

Also, apart from those checklists, nothing came up for the B (AAP-1 or AAP-1.1). I know some over here have AAP-1.1, but I haven't found them floating around on the net.

PS: If you consider using a paysite, you should be good if they use Paypal (doesn't require you to give them your credit card info).

No free manuals for the A/B, only pocket checklists (or manuals for the D). If you want the A/B manual you'll have to buy one I'm afraid. I've been searching for days.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "