Rudder does not seem correct

SlipBall

I think that the rudder needs to have a looked at as well, seems very off on the ground...Right rudder on the ground, it seems to have zero authority, until some substantial forward speed is achieved. I think the aircraft should have a reaction from the use of the right rudder when coupled with a blast of thrust even if it is stationary. Before brakes were widely used in aircraft in and/after the thirties, the rudder was IT for maneuvering on the ground, because those aircraft had no brakes in them. Even when brakes came along and were widely installed, pilots were encouraged to save the brakes for that next big emergency and to only use the rudder when trans versing on the grounds...I hope that the on the ground right rudder gets a good look at :)

the pilot here is using his right rudder and not because he has a nervous twitch :P...there is just no way that the rudder as we have it now in game is correct for on the ground use IMHO

Edited by GT 5.0

• 2 weeks later...

I also notice that in this video while the pilot is doing a right hand turn:

1.pilot is applying hard right rudder

2. right wheel continues to turn freely during the turn(so rudder not brake causing the turn)

I think the rudder is not fine :P

Edited by GT 5.0

have watched that video before,excellent 109 video showing the pilot working the rudder during taxi and takeoff and the music they chose very fitting for the 109.

ya know when I first watched, it had 15k views now it is over 1 mil.

OTOH, this other video showing a Fw190 taxiing, pretty much shows how much more accurate the ground and FDM physics in DCS are.

No rudder used in tight turns, just asymmetric breaking I believe from observation of the maneuvers, just like in DCS, but while going straight along the taxiway, minor rudder adjustments can be used to correct the trajectory.

This severely contrasts with my other ww2 sim, where we have to fight during the whole taxi to rw or ramp :-/ even after the latest patch...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Also, it would be good to know when are the the forces on rudder going to be added.

Lack of rudder stiffening at high speeds defeats the purpose of stiff alerions, as the plane still rolls way better than it would IRL.:music_whistling:

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Lack of rudder stiffening at high speeds defeats the purpose of stiff alerions, as the plane still rolls way better than it would IRL.:music_whistling:

:-)

I've had a lot of success with my roll rates in the K4, above 750 km/h .... Those yaw-induced rolls result beautifully...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team
I also notice that in this video while the pilot is doing a right hand turn:

1.pilot is applying hard right rudder

2. right wheel continues to turn freely during the turn(so rudder not brake causing the turn)

I think the rudder is not fine :P

1. Yet on his left turn it looks like he uses little to no rudder. You need to find the pilot and ask him, its hard to say that he wasnt using the brakes while applying rudder, he could have very easily been doing that and you wouldnt get any indication from this video.

2. I highly doubt the wheel would come to a complete stop for a turn like that. Do your car wheels come to a complete stop as soon as you just touch your brakes ;)

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1. Yet on his left turn it looks like he uses little to no rudder. You need to find the pilot and ask him, its hard to say that he wasnt using the brakes while applying rudder, he could have very easily been doing that and you wouldnt get any indication from this video.

2. I highly doubt the wheel would come to a complete stop for a turn like that. Do your car wheels come to a complete stop as soon as you just touch your brakes ;)

Yeah, you need very little left rudder in the game as well, but I can see that as being correct.

As far as the right rudder goes, I'm just hoping that it gets a good look at...:)

"Do your car wheels come to a complete stop as soon as you just touch your brakes "

no they don't but I'm sure that I would spot the braking action of the 109

Edited by GT 5.0

That would be great and interesting too Sith...but:

FAA-conventional geared aircraft

To turn the airplane on the ground, the pilot should

apply rudder in the desired direction of turn and use

whatever power or brake that is necessary to control

the taxi speed. The rudder should be held in the

direction of the turn until just short of the point where

the turn is to be stopped, then the rudder pressure

released or slight opposite pressure applied as needed.

While taxiing, the pilot will have to anticipate the

movements of the airplane and adjust rudder pressure

accordingly. Since the airplane will continue to turn

slightly even as the rudder pressure is being released,

the stopping of the turn must be anticipated and the

rudder pedals neutralized before the desired heading is

reached. In some cases, it may be necessary to apply

opposite rudder to stop the turn, depending on the taxi

speed.

Edited by GT 5.0