Hawk Flight Manual

Ells228

Hi Guys,

Well here it is, the 192 page manual for all you tech heads out there.

The manual is fairly technical and some descriptions or features may not be functional due to flight model development or radio development as an example.

Please post any feedback / criticism so we can take it on board during development of the manual.

I had a few last minute formatting errors when converting to PDF so apologies and I'll get those fixed ASAP

Checklists and procedures are detailed throughout the manual sections and we will be adding simple checklists during the next few weeks, along with standard keyboard shortcuts, etc.

I hope you enjoy reading all about the Hawk and flying her in DCS World.

Chris and the Hawk team.

http://www.veaosimulations.co.uk/dcshawk/manuals/DCS_Hawk_Flight_Manual.pdf

Edited by Ells228

Wooo! Something to get stuck into while waiting on the EFM :)

Not a massive criticism, but you've posted much better screenshots (esp from 2.0) on the forums compared to the image chosen for the front page of the manual. I know it's only manual and what's inside it counts more then the front cover, but it's such a pretty plane and a great 3d model :)

Although looking at the rest of the manual it might be a pdf export issue, as the headers on each page (blue DCS boxes and [Hawk]) are also quite blurry.

Page numbers are unfortunately broken though and go wrong after page 9 :(

Edit: Quick flick through and it looks very detailed, definitely A10C level, maybe beyond. Kudos to you and the team for supplying all the info.

Edited by Buzzles

Very detailed ... I love it! But as you already asked ... yes, maybe we can have some more pictures? More schematics would be great ... but I understand that those are quite timeconsuming to produce. But at least some more screenshots, please, to help one navigating around the cockpit and finding switches and gauges that the text talks about. (i.e. Engine Start Button ... never found it - had to search the forums for it ;o)

Agreed about it needing more images and better ones in the cases of what is there. Also, the page numbers make no sense since the left most digit is the only one visible (i.e. the last ninety some pages all bear the page number 1).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Agreed about it needing more images and better ones in the cases of what is there. Also, the page numbers make no sense since the left most digit is the only one visible (i.e. the last ninety some pages all bear the page number 1).

There are some screenshots depicting a specific switch or gauge - which do help to find them in the cockpit a bit, yes.

But I would love to see some overview first. When discussing a specific topic, provide a screenshot where one can identify the panels that are involved. Then give an overview of these panels, labeling all (relevant components). And then describe in detail the concepts and procedures.

That way one can develop a better understanding how things are tied together imho.

Thanks for the feedback guys, all points taken on board.

The front cover is from DCSW2 but as we both said I think the PDF conversion downgraded it.

Engine start switch is next to Batt 1 on the left panel ;)

Also highlighted in the QuickStart guide engine start procedure :)

More to come soon :)

And hey, at least it's out before the official release right uboats ;) hehe

There are some screenshots depicting a specific switch or gauge - which do help to find them in the cockpit a bit, yes.

But I would love to see some overview first. When discussing a specific topic, provide a screenshot where one can identify the panels that are involved. Then give an overview of these panels, labeling all (relevant components). And then describe in detail the concepts and procedures.

That way one can develop a better understanding how things are tied together imho.

So like I did for the electrical systems?

That's the way I was going to do it..

We also have full schematic diagrams for each system but are not allowed to include them due to restrictions, sorry.

However if you'd like a copy of them please send me a PM.

Thanks,

C

Edited by Ells228

Thanks, already reading it.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Engine start switch is next to Batt 1 on the left panel ;)

Ah, yes, one can't really miss that one. I probably confused that one in my last posting with the "start/re-light" button. I hovered with the mouse over every inch in the cockpit, but could not find it ...

Also highlighted in the QuickStart guide engine start procedure :)

... but when I found it in the keyboard mappings and used that, I still could not locate it in the cockpit - as it is not animated (WIP?), it seems. But now I know it's located on the throttle, so it's all good now. ;o)

More to come soon :)

And hey, at least it's out before the official release right uboats ;) hehe

:thumbup:

So like I did for the electrical systems?

That's the way I was going to do it..

This?

attachment.php?attachmentid=114622&stc=1&d=1425985622

Yeah ... more or less ;o)

Tbh, it appears a bit "busy", if you know what I mean. Not only are the arrows inaccurate (probably due to the formatting problems?), but it also it does not really explain what we see.

I would prefer just an overview at first: what is where. Suggestion:

attachment.php?attachmentid=114623&stc=1&d=1425985622

Then, when discussing the components, the same principle could be applied. Like for example, those busbar reset buttons on that panel 4:

1. zoomed in picture of the panel

2. explanation what can be seen there (i.e. "AC 1 Reset - does this and that")

3. Description of the procedure/concept in detail (i.e. "first we do this, then that and to finally reset the DC busbar 1, we click ..." etc. ;o)

In short: Picture for the orientation with labeling of the relevant components - to give them distinct and unambiguous names so that everyone knows what is discussed.

We also have full schematic diagrams for each system but are not allowed to include them due to restrictions, sorry.

However if you'd like a copy of them please send me a PM.

Thanks,

C

Apropos schematics - just another random suggestion/wish:

attachment.php?attachmentid=114624&stc=1&d=1425985622

1235635899_HawkCockpitoriginal.thumb.jpg.bd86195a36b87ce965f080f258394f36.jpg

1660640085_HawkCockpit.thumb.jpg.b974dc8e1a5550dcb89dd0d7440e74dc.jpg

1650480709_Hawkschematics.gif.b4f0133817bee3ea65650e59c68043fb.gif

First of all, thank you for the good reading. I'm already at page 1 ;)

Is it possible to add a bit more about the history of the aircraft (not that I can't crawl wikipedia, but I think it's the good place in the full manual, like in the one of the A-10C).

And like the other says, it's interesting to read but I feel 'lost' when reading:

Example: Page 40: Engine Systems > General Description, there is a list of 6 items (a=>f) but there is no schematic. So I can't figure where all these equipment are in the aircraft.

Example 2: On the TABLE 5 – Engine Controls and Indicators: Isn't it possible to add a little image of the switch/button in the column 'Location'? And to delete the 'left tab' of the text. It's a loss of place and the text becomes less readable.

Example 3: Engine Fuel System and Engine Oil System: You list the function of the major component of these systems but again, without schematic, I'm lost. Without visual reference, I can only 'imagine' the dependencies, locations,...

Please, don't take it as negative but as constructive. The text is really great. But I think some images could really help for those who are not engineers ;)

Thank you again, VEAO.

Edited by Cedaway

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I have to agree with Flagrum on the manual. I had a quick read and while the text is very good, the lack of pictures really hurts the accessibility of the manual for the non-hardcore mortals among us. One thing I like about the 1950's pilot manuals is that even though if there were some silly cartoons drawn in some of them, there were plenty of useful and meaningful pictures.

I think the DCS P-51D Manual has the kind of structure I would expect in the Hawk manual.

1B3dM0q.jpg

Arrows, numbers, a legend, and each gauge or panel explained individually with a HD picture of it (most of the gauge pictures are already there, which is great!). It's concise, and it works. I wrote a good amount of "quick guides" so far (and some of them actually look closer to a whole manual... oops) and the feedback I had about what a full manual should be is:

1) It has to be clear

2) It has to be thorough

3) It has to have many pictures.

4) It has to get to the point

5) It has to be practical

The current Hawk manual has 1, 2, 4 and 5 bang on. However, a picture is worth a thousand words. It also helps a lot to navigate through the manual.

I think the current Hawk manual is good. But it wouldn't need much for it to become great.

Edited by Charly_Owl

• ED Team

In case it hasnt been mentioned, please make sure you have plenty of room for people that like to print and spiral bind the books, have a gutter at what would be the center of the book so that the spiral binding wont cut into any images or type.

FOr example, Even pages should be shifted left and odd pages shifted right... let me know if you need help with the formatting, its what I do ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png