Labels.lua mod

I found a thread in here with an example of how to mod the Conf/views/labels.lua file to change the size and distance at which the label appears. Since the update it has been over written and now I can not locate this information. If someone knows what I am talking about, could you please direct me the right direction. Thanks

• 1 month later...

For anyone who wants to know...

The file is located at Users\XXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

Back up the file first, then...

The file itself explains how the icons work pretty well, but in case there is any confusion I will try explaining it in my own words.

You will see Air, Ground, Navy, and WeaponFormat. Each line of the same format is a distance step. The effect described in the line will be in effect FROM the previous line UP TO the current line's distance. The distance is in meters.

The file provides the symbols for each effect. "%N" will display the aircraft (or vehicle, ship, etc) type, "%n" (note lower case n) will have the next item be displayed under the previous items, etc.

Example:

AirFormat = {} -- leave this line be

AirFormat = [500] "}%N%n%D%n%P"

from 0 up to 500 will show:

}

F-15

xxNM

New Pilot

"}" is used for the icon that will display right on top of the object, but it won't show exactly the same symbol in game, more testing is need to know what characters will produce what symbols.

Airformat = [1000] "}%N%n%D" -- from 500 up to 1000 the %P (pilot name) will be omitted

Airformat = [5000] "`" -- from 1000 meters up to 5000 only a very small line will be shown.

There will be no icon beyond the distance of the final line.

At the bottom of the file:

ColorAliesSide = (Red coalition icon color)

ColorEnemiesSide = (Blue coalition icon color)

I personally decided to go with black (0,0,0) for both sides. I tried grey but I continued to have problems with having planes completely vanish in front of my eyes if they go under the horizon, even when very close, under half a nautical mile.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

If the file doesn´t exist, copy your default "labels.lua" from your Installation folder ...\Config\View to your ....\saved games\dcs\config\view folder

Edited by -Hammer-

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Right, apologies for not mentioning that. Most files in Saved Games DCS are optional settings.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

• 1 month later...

"}" is used for the icon that will display right on top of the object, but it won't show exactly the same symbol in game, more testing is need to know what characters will produce what symbols.

Thanks for the thread.

Anyone have any more information on what symbols (i.e., {) produce in game.

Hey Aus.

The labels are just text shown in game.

In the instance of "{" You would simply see the "{" character next to the plane at the desired range.

As far as I know, the only thing that produces any kind of result other than 1:1 text are the % codes for name/distance/etc. which are listed at when you open the file.

You can't use unicode characters, either. I tried to use the little plane one time ;)

• 2 years later...