DCS WW2 Tank Module in the future?

Hey Gentlemen,

I was wondering if my time and effort would be wasted attempting to make the first DCS tank/armor module? I have the original government manual to the Sherman M4A3 and would like to find a team to attempt to recreate a high fidelity, accurate model of this tank for the upcoming DCS Normandy map. With Edge coming out, I believe this is an untapped area that will eventually blossom. I know the references in regards to Steel Beasts, however I believe DCS can and will turn out to be a lot better in the future. Some one needs to pick up the torch and kick this fire.

I would love nothing more than to actively engage in a tank battle in DCS with air cover from Mustangs or future WW2 aircraft. I would like your opinions on the subject matter. I think this would be a great addition to DCS world and encompasses the spirit of what DCS is. I also believe I can gain access to documentation for several German tanks I would also pursue if this could turn into a reality.

Robert

Hopefully we will see some level of DCS Ground Forces with realistic, accurate modeled tanks but I'd wait until at least EDGE/Normandy Map comes out to gauge if it would be worth your time. Wait to see how much the WWII MP community picks up at that point and talk with ED to see if they are even interested. My guess is that you will need much more than the original manual to make a tank for DCS and you should talk to other 3rd party devs about the their processes. Just make sure you have an opponent on the battle field for whatever you create ... don't let it be like the Mustang and sit by itself. Hopefully with EDGE the servers will be able to manage higher numbers of players for something like this or multiplayer crewed aircraft to work properly.

very good good advice and much appreciated. I am not a programmer or 3D designer by any means, but here in Texas I have access to MANY WW2 tanks and aircraft. If I can contribute to DCS in any way, I would love to. Thanks again for the advice. I could not agree more about having an opponent on the battle field.

• 7 months later...
Hey Gentlemen,

I was wondering if my time and effort would be wasted attempting to make the first DCS tank/armor module? I have the original government manual to the Sherman M4A3 and would like to find a team to attempt to recreate a high fidelity, accurate model of this tank for the upcoming DCS Normandy map. With Edge coming out, I believe this is an untapped area that will eventually blossom. I know the references in regards to Steel Beasts, however I believe DCS can and will turn out to be a lot better in the future. Some one needs to pick up the torch and kick this fire.

I would love nothing more than to actively engage in a tank battle in DCS with air cover from Mustangs or future WW2 aircraft. I would like your opinions on the subject matter. I think this would be a great addition to DCS world and encompasses the spirit of what DCS is. I also believe I can gain access to documentation for several German tanks I would also pursue if this could turn into a reality.

Robert

Hi robert.clark251

I think has a good market to a M4A3 on DCS: W (and WW2). Your first effort can be make a internal and external 3D modeling and test them on DCS: W by CA (some people has make MODs ussing CA "features", but surely if your model has good quality and present the project to ED, can be a good change to convert the "first" vehicle tank module on DCS: W.

You need search good 3D modelers and texture and some Lua and C++ programer to that project.

Hey Gentlemen,

I would like your opinions on the subject matter. I think this would be a great addition to DCS world and encompasses the spirit of what DCS is. I also believe I can gain access to documentation for several German tanks I would also pursue if this could turn into a reality. ... I am not a programmer or 3D designer by any means, but here in Texas I have access to MANY WW2 tanks and aircraft.

If it is time to start working on such modules then you could have an important role to play.

The fidelity of DCS modules these days is higher and higher ... the bar is raised so that it is not enough to build your model simply from some public domain plans and a few photos. To make a DCS level module you need real reference objects. If you are fortunate to have access to some tanks then you should take advantage of that. You can start coding a module before a 3D model is complete BUT it has been suggested that having a DCS-ready model in very complete state before coding is MUCH better. So it seems obvious to me what you should be doing.

Start taking photos of your subject matter with a purpose. Your purpose is to document the object from every angle and every point of interest so that artists somewhere else in the world are able to recreate that object down to the individual scratches on dials and dents in panels ... using just your photos. Ideally you will take enough photos and do it with enough skill, so that time saving methods like Photogrammetry can be applied.

Learn everything you can about Photogrammetry.

The main point of Photogrammetry is take photos and process them in a way so that dimensional and color and lighting information can be extracted from them. It requires a technical approach but it is not hard to learn. Taking technically consistent photos inside a tank will present the biggest challenge but other people may have worked through these challenges and documented their technique on the net. You won't need a fancy camera but you will need good lighting and a consistent and disciplined technique. Of course the actual 3D model for DCS will still be put together the old fashioned way but having solid photogrammatic resources will be VERY handy during this process. Especially for models that will bring new levels of fidelity in future versions of DCS.

You mention tanks but I wonder if there are other objects that might be worth looking at in the short term. Photogrammatic capture of actual WW2 shells, bombs, casings, and stuff like that could be useful in the short term and let you hone your skills and those of any team you build. Don't be blind to other opportunities for STUDY level objects ... WW2 radio sets, air defense range-finders and stuff like that might be interesting too.

Well Ground forces AI need to be massively improved for a DCS ground module to be viable especially regarding things like soft cover.

I don't actually think this is essential. I think that a study level tank module is something people could enjoy in DCS as it exists right now.

There is something to be said for just being able to sit in a simulated high fidelity vehicle and make it move and operate in a highly realistic way that has an appeal of it's own. Without combat even coming into play; just having the controls, sounds, and motion all feel real goes a long way. For me this is the appeal of modules like the Mi-8 ... which I love.

I have a Oculus Rift DK2 and let me tell you ... I want to sit in a DCS tank module with my head sticking out the top hatch. OK ... put me on the tank team. Let's do this.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I would love ground combat in DCS the level of detail on the maps would need to be drastically increased I would guess.

Its great for air ops looking down but long before I started with VEAO I tried CA quite abit and loved the idea, but I found the AI to be absolutely deadly, even on average.

Pman

As much as I would love ground combat in DCS the level of detail on the maps would need to be drastically increased I would guess.

Its great for air ops looking down but long before I started with VEAO I tried CA quite abit and loved the idea, but I found the AI to be absolutely deadly, even on average.

Pman

Well edge must be pretty close to steel fury in graphics on the ground, or ni on wiht steel beasts. which is not to much of an issue.

487th Squadron

Section Leader

Pman

I agree with you here especially with 2.0 being around the corner but only 3rd party devs(yourself) or ED know how far they can improve the ground side graphics in that system right now. I've found the part about the AI being absolute deadly to be true because of the current damage model and they seem to detect everything as soon as it arrives in range no matter where it pops up from. Most all of the AI ground units are deadly accurate at most settings when your attacking from the front but seem to struggle somewhat with air targets moving horizontal because they don't know how to lead.

• 1 month later...
Hey Gentlemen,

Robert

I really hope this comes to fruition.

I truly believe there is a market for a high fidelity WW2 armour sim.

Look at the success of the MMO WW2 tank games

Edited by Marko321

I really hope this comes fruition.

I truly believe there is a market for a high fidelity WW2 armour sim.

Look at the success of the MMO WW2 tank games

While the Success of those game's is great, It is however,Only Arcadic modes that succeed. WarThunder,World of Tanks and Armoured Warefare all Attempted a "Simulator" or "Realistic" game modes, However the bread and butter is the Arcade Modes. Just look at Red Orchastra 2 with their tank battles. While really fun, The Majority didnt like it. and in the end, The Majority gives them more money.

While the Success of those game's is great, It is however,Only Arcadic modes that succeed. WarThunder,World of Tanks and Armoured Warefare all Attempted a "Simulator" or "Realistic" game modes, However the bread and butter is the Arcade Modes. Just look at Red Orchastra 2 with their tank battles. While really fun, The Majority didnt like it. and in the end, The Majority gives them more money.

You are correct

IMO, the key to a successful armour sim implementation in DCS world WW2 is difficulty setting /scalability not everybody want high a fidelity simulation, but hard-core milsim fans like me would

Biggest problem those games had is that their "realistic/simulator game modes" had tanks in a vacuum (except with maybe planes). At the end of the day, the purpose of the tank is to support infantry, whether directly or indirectly. In these games, there is no infantry to fight or support.