Advice Needed for Better Twist Grip Rudder Control

Tumbleweed

Hi,

I've finally taken the plunge in the MP dogfighting scene and now I need precise rudder control more than ever. I don't have any pedals yet but I do plan for some in the future.

At the minute I'm using the twist grip on the Saitek X-52 but it's not the best. When it comes to making small adjustments on sighting an enemy the smallest movement swings the aircraft violently left / right.

Not only is the rudder important for lining up my targets, I notice people are using them for better co-ordinated turns where as I can't do that so precisely. I usally end up with so much rudder it acts like an air brake and I lose airspeed quickly which is dealdy in a dog fight.

Does anyone else use the twist grip for rudder on the P-51 and if so what are your curves like?

Also when you dull down the sensitivity of the rudder input does it affect the ground tail wheel movement much?

Many thanks,

:thumbup:

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

Hi,

I've finally taken the plunge in the MP dogfighting scene and now I need precise rudder control more than ever. I don't have any pedals yet but I do plan for some in the future.

At the minute I'm using the twist grip on the Saitek X-52 but it's not the best. When it comes to making small adjustments on sighting an enemy the smallest movement swings the aircraft violently left / right.

Not only is the rudder important for lining up my targets, I notice people are using them for better co-ordinated turns where as I can't do that so precisely. I usally end up with so much rudder it acts like an air brake and I lose airspeed quickly which is dealdy in a dog fight.

Does anyone else use the twist grip for rudder on the P-51 and if so what are your curves like?

Also when you dull down the sensitivity of the rudder input does it affect the ground tail wheel movement much?

Many thanks,

:thumbup:

I'm still waiting to get a 'good' set of rudder pedals. In the interim I'm using the twist on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The short of it is that the only thing worse than the rudders on the twist is the throttle paddle :puke:

Flying curves is doable but you just cannot get the control from the twist.

Besides, no pedals, no non-binary brakes.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

@Tumbleweed, I've the x-52pro much the same joystick and i don't have rudderpedals either.It takes practice but you can be effective with it.If you find its too sensitive around the center increase the curve by 5 or 10 increments and test each setting I mean give it a good test.Once you find your setting stick with it don't change it and it becomes more natural the more you fly.

My curve is at 30 but that might not feel right to you, so go test and practice.

Good luck.

T4

you can get T-flight hotas X. the throttle rocker can be used as rudder although I think you better start saving and get CH pro pedals. If you really need a rudder that is sensitive to the mosquito sitting on it, I suggest VKB T-rudder.

http://flightsimcontrols.com/store/available/t-rudder-pedals-usb-eu/

here is a video demonstration:

Another solution although I don't know if possible is to contact hegykc and ask him to build you one (he's into hog stick replicas now, but I reckon he'll add more to his catalog besides sticks and throttles, if the market reaches a consensus that is). I think he knows his way around and I believe he can get you sorted - Hopefully :D

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Do the VKB T-rudder pedals have brake function? It doesn't look like it.

The FlightSimControls shop also says nothing about the "Big Brother" to the T-rudder, the T-rudder Mk.21, which seem to have been taken off the shelfs. I though they might at least have brakes, but if they aren't being sold anymore, it makes not difference.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It appears they don't but in a dogfight, your main concern is rudder, not brakes :)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

True, but I'd like to have a complete, quality solution. VKB seems to have descent quality, but I'd like to have the brakes too.

I've got my eyes set on the MFG Crosswind from MFG Simundza :D

velikaslika.png

or--dare I say it--the Slaw F16 from Slaw.Devices

10348535_298992563632422_9061273276353672733_n.jpg?oh=96471282331ca8ca8f9b2590e7adcbe5&oe=558BB8B5&__gda__=1435215629_2770ea9b4c0ed37e7574026894a9f507

OMFG :shocking: ..... I need to change my pants now yes.gif

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Many thanks for the replies!

I tried out the 30 curve suggested and it's a massive improvement. :thumbup:

Doesn't take long to get used to. Even managed to down a guy last night without the nose yawing about like crazy :)

Also tried it out on the P-51 vs FW-190 SP mission. The FW-190 lasted a grand total of 2:55 before I destroyed it. A record for me. Usually the battle lasts a good half hour.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

RE: The pedals - there's some real nice looking ones there. Not too sure which ones I'll be going with. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to purchase a set there will be something available of good quality that has brakes and at a reasonable price. I deffo need a set of pedals cos I brought the Huey a while back and she's a real handful with twist grip. Think I've flown it twice and crashed it both times LOL.

I'm hoping to have re-arranged and re-decorated the bedroom by then so I've got more room for a sim pit of some sort. Even a bog standard basic arrangement will do. I'm currently a desk pilot but I need more comfort and a better dedicated layout for long flights / battles :D

Thanks for all the help guys!

Edited by Tumbleweed

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly: