FM homing still broken in multiplayer?

dooom

i just flew an updated version of one of my huey missions that has recon platoons randomly spawn and broadcast FM beacons for pickup.

as server host, the beacons worked for me. No clients had the beacons working.

is FM homing still broken?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

yes it is still broken when you "program" it directly on a ground unit.

All i found to make it work is to add a little trigger zone around the unit and put a trigger "radio transmission" on the zone. The transmission is set in Khz so you have to set 45000 for 45 Mhz. The negative point is that the unit has to be motionless.

• Like 1

• ED Team

Short answer is yes, still broken.

But it is reported and has not been forgotten.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Interesting lib! That's new for me and might solve my problems! Did you transmit using stock mission editor triggers?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

nope - just tried transmission on zone... FM modulate/ 44000, loop etc

it works for me if i'm hosting but does not work for any other client.

d*mn I want this to work soooooooo badly

Use a flag set random value and time after flag changed condition to restart a transmission every 20 seconds, this allows latecomers to pick up the signal

i just tried this - it didnt work... thanks though.:(

Did you transmit using stock mission editor triggers?

Yes

nope - just tried transmission on zone... FM modulate/ 44000, loop etc

it works for me if i'm hosting but does not work for any other client.

d*mn I want this to work soooooooo badly

You must make a mistake, that was working good last week in multiplayer with my team, i will have a look and make some screenshots of the mission editor this evening.

I found this trick in a huey mission on this forum or in the users database on the dcs website, the purpose was to save people on a boat, the boat was transmiting the way i explained, but i don't remember the name of the mission :(

i just tried this - it didnt work... thanks though.:(

Here is a water down mission, showing how I loop a sound file over and over on a freq, attached to a trigger zone.

The sound file is an .ogg file (I couldn't upload it here) and all it is, is a very short recording of silence. If I used an actual sound, FC3 aircraft would hear the recording looping over and over, so to fix that I recorded silence.

This was part of a mission I've tested with my squadron and it worked for the heli guys. The second freq is actually the set emergency freq that the MI8 UD radio can pick up on channel 1, so it makes an easy homing beacon for them.

Hope this works for you.

test.miz

Thx for your test-mission, sgtmike. Unfortunately I am not able to transform that into the great TOOTALL mission with all its triggers.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/431053/

I'm interested in the SAR PLB part of the mission where you have to localize a squad in the mountains through Mi-8 ARC-UD radio. After picking them up another team spawns and starts sending the radio signal again. I don't know how to put your solution into this system. Thx for any advices.

This is how I did it, and as far as I remember it worked in MP too, at least a while back. There's an outlying FARP with a comms car. If the FARP is attacked, it starts to send out repeating SOS messages on 30.000 MHz.

Technically speaking, I set up a flip-flop circuit initializing 9 seconds from the mission start (fig. 1, flag 10 set by a MIST script). Then 4 seconds after flag 10, I set it off, do a couple of AI tasks (set a callsign, set a frequency, transmit a message) and create another flag, 11 (fig. 2). Flag 11 just sets up flag 10 again, starting the loop anew (fig. 3).

Now if you look at this, you'll notice that flag 11 is actually unnecessary, since I could've just initialized flag 10 again at the end of function 2. I can't remember why I set it up like this, but most likely thought about adding some other functionality between the flags switch and then just forgot about it. Regardless, this should work A-OK in MP too, or at least did a couple of versions back.

1.jpg.7dc48dca7808b471af84e1e1ccae1cd9.jpg

2.jpg.fa8876e768f7c8a32b8250ae5c8f3c91.jpg

3.jpg.1abe9b74bdb421a2e7a3b280a0a18993.jpg

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

thanks msalama... i'll try your flag logic. For some reason i am having trouble following the logic of sgtmikes setup... might be having a dense morning...

it seems like once his Flag 1 is set the first time, it will never have a value of 1 again... then the continuous action is basically counting 15 second intervals and triggering a random value for 1 between 2 and 30... once it gets its value, I would not have thought it woudl reset the 15 second counter... maybe i'm wrong?

if a loop is what I'm after - maybe a 2 flag trigger might be simpler? I'll report back soon.

thanks msalama... i'll try your flag logic. For some reason i am having trouble following the logic of sgtmikes setup... might be having a dense morning...

it seems like once his Flag 1 is set the first time, it will never have a value of 1 again... then the continuous action is basically counting 15 second intervals and triggering a random value for 1 between 2 and 30... once it gets its value, I would not have thought it woudl reset the 15 second counter... maybe i'm wrong?

if a loop is what I'm after - maybe a 2 flag trigger might be simpler? I'll report back soon.

This particular way (and there is more than one way to set conditions) initially set the flags to a value of 1. I did this for this particular mission to set certain elements.

Since this is a "continuous" switch, the game will keep checking to see if the conditions have been met, oncce met it will

1...start transmission on the freqs

2...set a random value for flag 1

the "continuous" switch will check to see if these conditions have been met again. This include "or" statements that separates and allow for more than one conditions being met.

in this case Flag1's value has been changed in the past 15 secs

actions are

1...transmit sound file over the freqs

2...set a random value for Flag1 (setting up the conditions again)

and the loop continues allowing clients who join later, pick up the broadcast

Remember there are more than one way to set up a reoccurring loop, I even used units still being alive tied to a looping flag to keep a broadcast going. The key is to find a condition that can reoccur over and over again.

Hope this cleared it up.

Edited by sgtmike74
Added "or" statement

cool i didnt realize redfining the flag value would be considered resetting flag condition as true and thus reset counter... intersting way to do it.

There's also the script-logic used by CTTS.

It's accessible through unit names, or function calls.

It basically does the exact same thing: set the frequency, send, wait a bit then loop again, without setting dozens of flags in the ME.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i used CTTS and its script logic originally.. it worked great when the script was first released but it has become increasingly inconsistant which is why I have now elected to only use CTTS for transport.

• 3 years later...
Here is a water down mission, showing how I loop a sound file over and over on a freq, attached to a trigger zone.

The sound file is an .ogg file (I couldn't upload it here) and all it is, is a very short recording of silence. If I used an actual sound, FC3 aircraft would hear the recording looping over and over, so to fix that I recorded silence.

This was part of a mission I've tested with my squadron and it worked for the heli guys. The second freq is actually the set emergency freq that the MI8 UD radio can pick up on channel 1, so it makes an easy homing beacon for them.

Hope this works for you.

Thanks! Worked for me. I have no idea what all this random things do but i could recreate it and it works, thank you again!

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

• 11 months later...
Short answer is yes, still broken.

But it is reported and has not been forgotten.

Hi BIGNEWEY,

Is this fixed yet?

I did a mission last week and the radio beacons worked in the mission editor.

Once running in MP in our Squadron Only one Huey could hear the beacon and get steering cues?

Cheers

Boomer

Just do a "continuous" trigger with Radio transmission instead of a "once". This way it will work for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will edit the Mission this week and see if I can get it to work.

It’s a long flight in from the carrier group and the Helos need a radio beacon to follow in the low visibility.

• 9 months later...

I tried the recommended workaround and couldn't get that to work.

On it's own, FM homing does appear to still be broken in multi-player.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.