Headset recommendations?

I'm looking to get a new headset to replace my ancient Creative Fatality headset in the $0 to $150 range. It needs a good mic, good construction quality and superb sound quality across all ranges at low volume levels (will be used for music/movies too). Also needs to be comfortable with glasses. Beyond that I don't much care. Any suggestions?

I am quite happy with these which were under $100 and I wear glasses as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Collapsible-Headset-Control-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426132187&sr=1-2&keywords=Sennheiser+PC+350

EDIT: I admit to being a bit biased toward Sennheiser, I own three pair. These are the only model I have that includes a microphone.

EDIT2: It occurs to me that you didn't mention TIR. I don't use them for flight simming so I never tried. They certainly would not work well with the Proclip mount.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The real issue is the earpads. Whatever quality headset you may buy, try to get a hands on test first. All ear pads that do sit "on" your ears get uncomfortable quickly. I prefer ear pads enclosing the ears. Check for pads from soft leather or soft fabric meshes. Plastic ones, how soft and nice they may feel, make you sweat.

My solution was a Mod-it GHS-390 .xtreme. Not sure if it is available where you live. It is sold by Pearl in Germany and replaced my "cool" Razor Piranha. Only the GHS-390 original ear pads are exactly what you don't want them to be (the headset is brilliant especially for the price, but earpads are utter crap).

Solution was to take matching ear pads from a HiFi Headphone I had lying around and barely use, and fit them to the Headset... You can buy earpads of all sizes at eBay or webshops. Just take care to exactly measure them.

c14d3d2dce4346c7c0244cb48537dad8.jpg

P.S. for the record: the sound, especially bass is amazing! The microphone has noise cancelation and the design with the headband and neck-collar is veeery comfortable, even after hours.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I "built my own" headset out of a nice set of Sennheiser's, a clip on mic and an Astro Mix amp.

Together it will be out of your price range, but the Astro converts optical to analogue, as well as amping the sound for headphones, allows me to connect mic's directly to it (along with a cable back to the PC if I want to use the proper sound card in the PC) and allows me to mix between voice comms and game output.

The biggest plus though is that that I could connect it to my Xbox and my PC and use XBL chat and PC comms (although not all at the same time).

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Astro A40 so you can utilize just the headset for inflight comms and output sound through your speakers. Or razer blacksharks. I have a pair of fancy sennheisers, their better for music in my opinion. But I'm sure a big debate will follow that statement. Best thing to do is try before you buy take your device to play dcs YouTube videos to store and try headsets out.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Get a Sennheiser

Personally I hate headphones with built in mics they are often shitty, I have a pair of steinhosers with a modmic stuck on it.

If I went that route, then I would attach a mic to my HD598s.

EDIT: Nope, I could not stick anything to those beautiful headphones. I would have to buy something else. :D

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I had all sorts of headphones. Logitech, Razor, Sony, Sennheiser and a few other brands.

At the moment im using a pair of Beyerdynamics and i can shoot myself in the head for not getting a pair years ago. Premium quality headphones is what they produce.

Im using the custom one pro in combination with a asus xonar phoebus sound card.

Next ones on my list when i have some money aside will be a pair of studio quality ones.

Anyways im drifting of here you can check it out here ;

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets.html

Edited by Mainstay

g8PjVMw.png

I`v got the PC360 with trackir track clip .

they work great , but not everyone would like the open ear and they are a bit warm to the ears.

they are hard to find but you can get the PC360D (which are the same + a USB sound )

or the G4ME ZERO edition which i think are the same but look less like a high end set and more like 'gaming gear'

last thing - on board sound card would not cut it, these headset NEED amplification , at least for movies if not games.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Blackshark

I have recently bought these Razor Blackshark headphones, I also wear glasses, additionally I Sometimes watch tutorial videos via an iPad using in ear plugs whilst in game on DCS and having this headset on over the top, even after 2-3 hours of wearing they are still very comfortable. As you can see TIR is attached as well. I can't give any feedback about the use of the microphone as I have'nt used it yet, but is adjustable and can be removed.

image.thumb.jpg.f9dffce364948c93336812a9c854b919.jpg

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

One not to buy -- Steelseries 7H that has a mini-usb connector on the bottom of the left earpiece. (I think it is the 7H.) I had pulled these off the shelf a few weeks back where they'd been sitting for > a year, and every time I turned my head, static would be heard because the little usb connector is loose.

I have another Steelseries that is hard-wired at the left ear cup and those are fine.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

i have the astro A40 ----- screw broke - now they're worthless

oops! they're out of warrantee - solution? pay them $45 to fix it

oh, fix it myself? bonus: they're using some screwball type of star-pattern screw with a spike in the middle of it so you need a special tool

: /

waste of friggin money / hassle to fix even if i "wanted" to do-it-myself.........

to be forewarned is to be forearmed

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the Sennheiser 350 might be it, going to see if I can find one locally to check comfort. With that said, anyone using Turtle Beach stuff? I had one of their headsets many years ago with surround sound (analog, 5.1 I think). I was always surprised at the quality of the sound and the mic. Sadly they were of shoddy construction quality and the cheap plastic head band broke after a year or so.

Far too often now we see companies pair a cheap set of cans and a terrible microphone together, calling it their "gamer" edition. They cover the box in lame l337 speak text and then charge a premium price. I would suggest looking for reviews. I had some fatalities from years back. The super duper cool guy version. They were absolute trash.

I'm not saying all "gamer" marketed cans are bad.... Just most. I have to give some credit to logitech. Their wireless g930's are pretty decent. I've had a pair for years. You can find them for < $100 now.

However my current setup is Audio Technica ATH-A900x with a ModMic 4.0 attached. I do wear a hat + clip for my TrackIR. Can't speak to how good the pro clip may fit these in particular. Cost roughly $200 together for excellent audiophile headphones + a superb microphone.

i have the astro A40 ----- screw broke - now they're worthless

oops! they're out of warrantee - solution? pay them $45 to fix it

oh, fix it myself? bonus: they're using some screwball type of star-pattern screw with a spike in the middle of it so you need a special tool

waste of friggin money / hassle to fix even if i "wanted" to do-it-myself.........

to be forewarned is to be forearmed

You can buy a set of torx drivers that come with the indent for that screw at ace hardware for about $12.00. I had the same problem when the ignition switch went out on my jeep.