F86F Air Brake Switch

Jagr

Only way I could see that happening is with some tricky coding (far beyond my capabilities). Plus as far as I can find this was not the case on the Sabre in any model

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

If you use a CH stick with the control center software I might be able to come up with a script that can do that, but I don't remember if there is a timer function or not.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

The prototype didn't have this facility, so is it really a good idea to add it?

Nice on the MiG-15, definitely, but if you want it, and the Sabre doesn't have it, why not just get into the MiG-15 instead?

Or shall we just add afterburners and BVR missile capability to the A-10C and be done with it? I find the inability of the A-10C to fly at Mach 2.2 inconvenient after all!

Or am I just missing the point of why you want to fly high fidelity flight sims in the first place?

Some people gain enjoyment from precisely mimicking the cockpit interactions and procedures. As much, if not more so than the actual flying/employment of the systems. Some simply enjoy the challenges of flying and employing the systems effectively. Some in the second group would happily see the processes streamlined for convenience sake and get out of the way of flying things. The high fidelity flight models and detailed weapon systems providing the challenge instead.

Anyway to answer the OP, you could probably make a fairly simple script that does this with autohotkey.

Believe it or not, people can desire different control schemes without desiring a slippery slope of BVR missiles and and Mach 2 warthogs. It's not as if hold-activation changes what the aircraft is actually capable of in any capacity.

Can a real pilot change their control schemes/Human-interaction-devices? No not really. If you care about precisely pretending to be a real pilot in a real whatever then that's fine and perfectly valid. It just means you have to deal with the control scheme as laid out or move on. Which I suspect is your point. If you're less beholden to that aspect, which the OP obviously is, which is also fine and perfectly valid, there are options open to them, because you know, this is actually a computer not a vintage plane and we can mess with it.

Edited by Shanakin

True, of course.

My point was deliberately exaggerated. The truth of the matter however is that ASM means advanced systems modelling.

The developers go to a lot of trouble to research the capabilities and systems of all the modules here, which is what sets them apart from the run-of-the-mill "simulations" - and I put the quotation marks there very deliberately.

Why go to all the trouble and expense of buying a high fidelity module only to adapt it to your liking? Do you imagine for a second that USAF aircrews were allowed that freedom?

The simple plain truth is that the Sabre's flaps were controlled by a big clunky lever, with 3 positions - flaps extend, flaps neutral, flaps retract - and there simply wasn't the capability of a momentary extension - possibly due to the fundamental design of the hydraulics system.

Does it really make such a huge difference to how you fly the aircraft to add a spurious button to do something that the real aircraft simply wasn't equipped to do?

If people choose to meddle with the systems modelling, it is their affair of course, but honestly, is this really such a gaping hole in the Sabre that it has to be done?

All I can say is that if anyone with such a switch was engaged in air combat on a multi player server, they would be considered cheats. Of course this is just a purist versus non-purist argument, but why should it not be stated? And if it starts with a button, where do you draw the line? Afterburners on the A-10C? As far as I can see there is fundamentally no difference. neither aircraft have those features, so neither should be given them as mods.

I'm not being argumentative, I'm not trying to belittle the suggestion, but my point should not be discounted for the sake of convenience. There simply wasn't a button in the sabre, but there was in the MiG-15. That is how it ought to remain, for the sake of accuracy.

I think there's a pretty damn clear line between changing control schemes, that offer no particular advantage whatsoever beyond personal preference, and altering the actual performance characteristics of the aircraft.

Ultimately though the whole purity thing often comes down to, particularly so in this case, a rather minute difference in preferences and it seems like a pretty silly thing to mock people over.

I think there's a pretty damn clear line between changing control schemes, that offer no particular advantage whatsoever beyond personal preference, and altering the actual performance characteristics of the aircraft.

Ultimately though the whole purity thing often comes down to, particularly so in this case, a rather minute difference in preferences and it seems like a pretty silly thing to mock people over.

Actually there is an advantage over having a switch like this, it eliminates pilot error which would be a cheat of sorts - by which I mean, in the sabre, if you apply the AB in say a dog fight, you may forget to close it after use in the heat of battle and then get owned by the opposing aircraft, or end up in a pile on the ground, which is how it should be

with a toggle like you wish for the circumstance above would never happen and would be an unfair advantage over a player in a similar craft flying without the toggle

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

I'm quite happy to have the airbrake stay on. In a dive bomb, when I'm trying to keep the pipper on the target at the right angle while pressing the cage button and while keeping the wings level and keeping the plane trimmed, the last thing I want to worry about is trying to keep my brakes deployed.

I wasn't mocking anyone or anything, and purity comes down to something very simple indeed.

If an aircraft has said switch, then simulate it. If an aircraft didn't, then don't. Anything else is just a compromise, which I have no gripe with.

What I question is where do we draw the line?

If you have the Warthog you could easily program that with Target. I suspect you might be able to do it with the Saitek software as well, although it's been a while since I used it.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, first of all I am talking about the Airbrakes not the flaps as some people commented in depth on. And my interest is simple.. I have a Warthog setup and the ability to have a momentary brake switch would allow me to use a button/switch ONCE for the typical dog fight type deployments saving me 50% of the wear and tear on the expensive hardware. I also want the current full time on and off for other uses.

Unfortunately I don't have a thrustmaster stick so I can't help there, but I'm betting that it can be done with their software. Set up some kind of function where on release of [your airbrake out button] a button assigned to airbrake in is held down for x second, where x is how long it takes to bring the airbrakes from all the way out to all the way in.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

Ok, first of all I am talking about the Airbrakes not the flaps as some people commented in depth on. And my interest is simple.. I have a Warthog setup and the ability to have a momentary brake switch would allow me to use a button/switch ONCE for the typical dog fight type deployments saving me 50% of the wear and tear on the expensive hardware. I also want the current full time on and off for other uses.

I will take a look tonight, do you have a preference on which button you wish to use?

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]