Configuring X-52Pro

Hi everyone,

Excited to join this community.

I just started playing this game and got into the world of pain when it comes to configure the Saitek X-52 Pro :)

Couple of thing that I'm not able to seems to resolve are:

1. Getting the Modes selection on the stick to work. As in Mode 1, 2 & 3. So each mode I select will map new commands for each button/switch/POV/slider on the HOTAS.

At the moment, switching between modes is not reflected in the game and when trying to configure the controller through the game as a modifier, it won't recognise that I'm cycling through modes.

2. The other thing is that rotary buttons (sorry, I don't know how it's really called) are not recognised as well.

I've been searching for some modes and I could only come up with a profile that someone made for the Su-25T but the profile, though loaded using Saitek Profiler (MadCatz), is not working in-game

Appreciate any insight you guys might have to work this thing out.

thanks!!

Gil.

I use the same stick and recommend creating a profile in the Saitek software program. It takes time to learn but it's well worth the effort.

So I downloaded a profile made by someone for this stick and throttle but it doesn't work in game.

So I downloaded a profile made by someone for this stick and throttle but it doesn't work in game.

You don't use the profile ingame. You must place it where the X52 STT folder is.

I recommend starting out slowly with your own profile in STT and get the Gear (keyboard G) and Flaps to work first (key F) and then test these two when flying. :thumbup:

When you got the stick working you can find the profiles and start experimenting a bit more. It is a long hard learning path get it all working as you like.

Download a premade profile drawing to see what function is mapped to what button.

Like this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1001522&postcount=1

Edited by HiJack

You misunderstood me :)

The profile is in the X52 STT folder. But it is not working in the game. As in, it has no affect.

And to be clear, I make sure the profile is loaded to the stick prior to lunching the game. I can even see the profile name on the throttle MFD.

Hi,

What can you check ?

I had Nr 1 (empty) some time ago - from one day to another - for all profiles

Had to reinstall the driver and software for the PRO

1 ) Open a profile in the Profileditor and use the option "Test Profile"

Test the buttons with the different modes

Empty or not ?

2 ) The input of keyboards-commands "one after another" in the Profileditor will not work in the game

Wrong :

LCtrl (one) D (another)

Ok :

LCtrl (hold) D

LCtrl (hold) LShift (hold) D

3 ) Check in DCS under Options for every installed AIRCRAFT "game-mode" all default JOY_BTN`s in the X52 column and delete them, if they are used in a profile

Hm - Rotary's ? I don't use them

Hi,

I thought you made the profile by your own and Nr 2 can be frustrating, if you make the wrong way of input

Pic 2

Nr 2 means in the Profileditor - for example

Define button Fire E as "Airbrakes IN" - LCtrl B

This input in the Profileditor control-box will not work in the game :

LCTRL (push - release) B (push - release)

This input in the Profileditor control-box will work :

LCTRL (push and hold) B (push) - release both

The input has exact to be like the normal use of two or three buttons for a short-cut-command

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested the linked profile

It´s working so far

The Rotary´s are not used !

Toggle 6 is "Active pause on/off" in Modes 1,2,3 without pinky

Toggle 6 is "Eject" in Modes 1,2,3 with pinky

Fire E is for all modes "do nothing"

See pic 5 for activation

You have to activate for Fire E mode 1 "Airbrakes out"

and use it : Clutch + Fire E

You have to activate for Fire E mode 1 + pinky "Airbrakes IN"

This is the red "Airbrakes in" in the linked profile picture

The blue "Air Brakes in" in the linked profile picture is WRONG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The linked profile picture is confusing

:doh: I made the same mistake in the beginning with using pictures for profiles

Now I use a excel sheet for every profile

Pic 3 - e.g. for Mig 21 - not finished - step by step

Useing only mode 1 - should be enough

Red - Mode 1

Blue - Mode 1 + Pinky

Black - Mode 1 + Clutch

I guess - the best way is to design a own profile

Step by step

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Clutch-button is asigned with "LShift" in the linked profile

There is a better way to use the Clutch-button

Use it the same way as the Pinky-button

Pic 1 disable clutch

Pic 4 create in the Profileditor new modes with the Clutch-button, e.g. Mode 1 + Clutch

The result is

Mode 1

Mode 1 + Pinky

Mode 1 + Clutch

Edited by Blech

As a general observation after spending several months with the X-52 Pro and DCS World I've learned the following:

With the exception of Axis commands, whenever possible Map keyboard commands to the X-52 Pro using Saitek's Mad Catz dedicated configuration editor (rather than mapping commands via X-52 Pro column in DCS's OPTIONS/CONTROLS interface.) You'll thank yourself--repeatedly--later.

As others here have suggested, start simple by mapping and then testing some basic commands first (you can't get to second base without passing first).

I found it best to build a configuration from the ground up based upon my (ever growing) needs rather than employing some of the highly-detailed pre-configurations available here and elsewhere (too complicated for my tiny brain for now).

Create custom X-52 Pro profiles for each module as required.

As others have suggested, disable the clutch system and bind useful keyboard commands to it.

In my case I didn't move on to using the pinkie switch until I'd maxed out the first level mapping (I haven't even moved on to modes yet, but then when I'm not buzzing around in the Huey I'm still working with WWII and 1950s era aircraft).

Regarding the pinkie switch, clicking it while in Saitek's editor tends to make the editor crash (for me at least).

Another thing that can make the editor seem wompy is if the throttle's "Precision Slide" isn't centered while editing.

I've never been able to get the two rotatory knobs to work in DCS World (though they work fine for X-Plane as prop and fuel mixture controls); I don't use them.

While others may tell you different, I find it useful to map gear and flap controls to the keyboard instead of the HOTAS as they are typically used only at the beginning and end of each flight (assuming you don't eject first).

Most importantly: Like battle itself, flight sim configurations are highly fluid; I'm tweaking mine just about every day, changing my mind about this and that, and forever trying new techniques and combinations. It's like learning a musical instrument: if you're doing it right, you never stop learning.

Edited by Diplocaulus
  • Like 1

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5

thank you all for your detailed replies.

I guess I'll have to spend that time (and fight the desire to have some BF4 action instead) to configure the x-52 pro.

@Blech, thank you very much for the detailed reply and screenshots.

One thing I don't understand is, what is the meaning of Clutch in the game? I know I have it disabled in the X-52 driver settings but why is it an issue to have it enabled and what does it do?

Hi,

http://www.saitek.com/uk/supp/x52fsx.html

"You should also see a button on the throttle labeled I, this is referred to as the Clutch Button. The clutch button allows you to alter profiles

on the fly. This is useful because if you have made two separate profiles for different aircraft, you can change profile without having to close

your simulator. In order to change profile, press, and hold the clutch button. You will notice that the Hat Switch LED will begin to flash. Use

the North and South clicks to scroll your profile list displayed on your MFD. The East click will activate the profile displayed on the MFD. The

West click will clear the profile from your controller. The profile for FSX can be downloaded here."

Cluch-Button

When activated

You can change between different profiles in the game without leaving

When deactivated

You have to leave the game to change between different profiles

:dunno: However that's rarely the case

The benefit is that you can use the Clutch like the the Pinky,

without changing to another mode - you have 50 % more commands - especially for the Throttle switches and toggles

( left hand Clutch - right hand switches )

Hi,

Never heard about problems with that

DCS does not use by default the clutch-button (joy_btn31) for something

Google :

There has been a problem by disabling the clutch without using the latest version of the SST software - but this was in 2008

Would be nice to have your links with this problem in DCS

Even Saitek gives a tip how to disable the clutch button

Disabling Clutch Mode for extra buttons (X52 Pro):

http://www.saitek.com/elitedangerous

• 5 months later...

I have install newest drivers and when using a programming in profile editor and pressing any button it will show the right button in a joystick picture. If I program any button to using some keyboard command and going to test window nothing going to happend. Also nothing going to happend in test window if I load some complete game profile. So what I'm doing wrong.

Operate system is W7 64 bit and I have also 64 bit saitek drivers etc. The game profile that I like to use and what I donwloaded is Flaming clifs 3 SU-33. Clutch mode is also setted off and only thing that is working in a game with X-52 is throttle and axels.