Can't seem to get YaDRO-1A to work...

I've figured out the R-863 and ARK-9 reasonably well, but I can't seem to get ATC, at least at Beslan and Novorossiysk, to respond to the YaDRO-1A. As far as I can tell I'm doing everything right - radio, not ICS is selected, laryngophone off, source selector set to YaDRO, the appropriate frequency dialed into the control panel to the right of the copilot's seat, etc. The unit is on, I've tried it in both AM and SSB modes, fiddled with the squelch and volume, and I'm using the cyclic radio trigger or rAlt+/.

I figure I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't work at those specific airfields, it's broken, period, or it has to do with the simplex nature of the device in some way that doesn't appear to be addressed in the manual.

Any ideas?

It is my understanding that the YaDRO-1a has a frequency range from 2-17.9 mHz (17999.0 kHz). (I can't recall if the radio in-game shows the decimal point or not.) If you were to try enter 131.0 mHz (if that's Beslan) as "131000" on the radio, you are actually inputting 13100.0 kHz.

Outside of mission scripting, I don't think there are any interactive (menu-based) communications using the YaDRO-1 or R-828. Both of those radios have frequency ranges which are (in comparison to other Russian radios) entirely in the range of communicating with ground units or handheld radios exclusively. Anything ATC or wingman related goes through the R-863, and options will always be 'dimmed out' in the command menus for the other radios, which have different frequency ranges.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to successfully use the Yadro by setting up a Radio Transmission trigger. I had it set for 2 MHz AM @ 1,000W. After spinning up the engines and turning on the Yadro power switch, setting the Yadro to AM, turning up the volume (set to half by default), then switching the SPU to Yadro, I was able to have some tunes while flying around!