Best Weapon/Release Technique for cloud cover

DrDetroit

Hey guys,

I'm stuck yet again with a strike mission where there is a cloud base at about 10k, target is near the Russian border to the north...deep in those tall mountains to the north/north-east of my base at Kubuletti (SP?). -Thanks Baltic Dragon...it's one of your mission...superb BTW!-

So I approach the IP above the cloud base at about 15k. If I go into those mountain ranges below the cloud base, I can't get out fast enough without hitting a mountain, and you can't see shit down there. So is my tactical assumption correct; I should get below the cloud base at my IP, as I'm carrying mk82AIR and M151 rocket pods (I'm thinking Mavs and LGBs are no good without being able to acquire a visual) and the target is located close to the cloud base, maybe 1000'-1500' under it?

Also, the target is in a deep valley and the cloud base is below the mountain peaks. My first issue is I keep slamming into the mountain trying to roll into the valley to get low and fast. I assume I just need better SI as far the the area goes and need to figure out best ingress.

My main question is what is the best loadout for this type of mission? Is my assumtion that Mavs and LGBs would be ineffective in those conditions? What loadouts should be used...is using dumb bombs, rockets and GAU the best option?

Also, how the heck do you visually acquire a target like that? It's a small guerrilla base, with a SA9 right in the midst of it all, and if I can get below the cloud base safely, then what!? That SA9 is going to get me -no?

Thanks in advance guys. This one seems a bit tricky.

Good day,

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit

Link to mission?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Link to mission?

It's the Enemy Within - I believe it's the 4th mission. You have a 3-slight ship, fly north-east and hit a base just south of the Russian border.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1286622/

Low cloud base, it raining, and the rain turns to snow at altitude. It's beautiful above the clouds, as it about 6am and the sun is just popping up and over the horizon.

No JTAC so I can't get the target coords into the nav system or I'd just CCRP.

Edited by DrDetroit

I'm certainly not an expert but I'm thinking use the TGP in FLIR mode to penetrate the cloud layer and drop GBU-38s.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I know the mission. It's a tough one for sure! I think with the updated, complete 18-mission campaign the loadout was changed to favor GBU-38 over Mk-82. (The original 7-mission version of the campaign had Mk-82 in this mission).

In any case, the clouds are too thick for the TGP, so there's simply no chance to remain above the clouds.

If you look closely at the TAD, maybe zoom in as near as possible, you can see valleys with roads or rivers in them. Flying along these during the descent should keep you relatively clear of obstacles while in the clouds.

For the target area, while staying below the clouds, I would try to fly by the valley with the camp as often as necessary, get the TGP on the targets (especially SA-9 and bunkers) and create markpoints on them.

If the SA-9 shoots, chances are the missile will hit the mountains because your time of exposure in that region is very limited and the area works to your advantage in this regard.

You could then either ascend above the clouds and drop GBU-38 on the markpoints or try to get as far from the valley as possible while still staying below the clouds and then pop off a quick Maverick. The missile's fire & forget capability can really save the day here.

In case you're limited to Mk-82, as long as you have entered the wind correction data into the CDU, it may still be promising to drop them from up high in CCRP against markpoints, maybe 3 in RPL SGL to get maximum effect (in case they hit anything - but since you're blind, there's no use in running in 3 times in a row anyway).

The mission is really tough, but with a bit of practice it should be doable. I've flown it once in the original version of the campaign and once more in the updated version (while testing the campaign) and both times it took me several attempts to complete it. But I think my skills in the A-10C profited from the challenge. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I know the mission. It's a tough one for sure! ...

The mission is really tough, but with a bit of practice it should be doable. I've flown it once in the original version of the campaign and once more in the updated version (while testing the campaign) and both times it took me several attempts to complete it. But I think my skills in the A-10C profited from the challenge. :thumbup:

Cool...I'm going to give this another go in a few minutes and see if I can accomplish this. Sounds like solid advice Yurgon.

My problem thus far has been keeping from hitting the deck trying to break through the clouds at steer 3 and/or4. I'm sure the SA9 will be the next hurdle. Even if I stay below the cloud base, those mountains make for very treacherous flying with the cloud base below the mountain tops, let alone having to acquire target, shoot, and boogie home.

I got caught in a valley last time and all sides of the valley the mountains shot into the clouds and I just couldn't pull up and out fast enough...bam! I thought I had made it, as I was starting to climb out of the clouds into sunshine, but still ran into the mountain.

Great mission, and should learn alot once I figure out the details.

Good day for flyin'!

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit
  • Like 1