Force feedback?

Wigean

I may be completely wrong, but I think the lack of FFB right now is due to the hawk having a SFM at the moment. FFB should work fine when the hawk gets its EFM.

For me (G940) FFB works with the Hawk. At least I get some shaking when the aircraft is stalling.

Thanks , I`ve done that.

Works in other Aircrafts.

I have Microsoft force feedback II.

One thing you could probably try:

Go to Options -> Controls

Select "Axis Commads"

Select X or Y axis of your stick

Click button "FF Tune" at the bottom

Change any or all of the values (i.e. modify 100 to 99)

I had one case where I had troubles with a totally limp joystick (but not sure if it was the Hawk, but anyways ...). The default settings seemed to be shown only within DCS, but not stored on the disk - and therefore were not read nor applied when the module was loaded. But changing the FF force settings once forced DCS to save the settings to disk - and then everything worked as expected.

• Like 1

its a shame that joystick manufacturers have not decided to release force feedback joysticks. All car steering wheels are considered standard to come with force feedback.

Cost of solenoids becomes to big a hassle in a $100 joystick. The most common sticks sold are around that price or less.

Even in a $300 joystick setup I would be sceptical of the quality of the FF solenoids and if parts are available to replace them.

$500 HOTAS setups it wouldn't be an issue an no doubt someone would be able to source parts from the manufacturer to replace worn bits

Edited by Winfield_Gold

I would much rather have an ugly looking plastic force feedback stick (with a good motor) than a 400$ detailed copy of a real fighter stick with no force feedback.

(Currently saving money to buy a MS FFB2 stick on ebay. If I can find one that will ship to my country without gouging my depleted bank account)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

One thing you could probably try:

Go to Options -> Controls

Select "Axis Commads"

Select X or Y axis of your stick

Click button "FF Tune" at the bottom

Change any or all of the values (i.e. modify 100 to 99)

I had one case where I had troubles with a totally limp joystick (but not sure if it was the Hawk, but anyways ...). The default settings seemed to be shown only within DCS, but not stored on the disk - and therefore were not read nor applied when the module was loaded. But changing the FF force settings once forced DCS to save the settings to disk - and then everything worked as expected.

Thank you, it works now. :)

The values were set, but I changed them a little and saved. Started a mission and it suddenly worked. Don't know why, but another lesson learned I guess.

I just got my hands on a G940, I like it, I had to modify the thing a little to get it to work properly, my god did logitech cut corners on this product or what, but now that I have stripped it and modified it a bit, its pretty cool.I don't think I could fly with anything else now, the feeling of the trim on the stick is just too helpful, especially with the Huey, it made the heuy a lot easier to fly and more realistic in my mind.

Not sure how much trim you would feel on a fly by wire though, I assume none at all. So yeah this is my stick and I am sticking with it

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, my G940 has force feedback activated (sort of) while flying the P-51 / FW 190, but the guns don't shake. Is that right?

Is there something that I can do to make it work or these planes don't have FF for the guns?

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

Hi guys, my G940 has force feedback activated (sort of) while flying the P-51 / FW 190, but the guns don't shake. Is that right?

Is there something that I can do to make it work or these planes don't have FF for the guns?

Real planes dont have stick shake when firing so they don't in DCS either. It would also put ffb users at a disadvantage online with their aim being thrown off by a shaking stick!

Real planes dont have stick shake when firing so they don't in DCS either. It would also put ffb users at a disadvantage online with their aim being thrown off by a shaking stick!

Its also something we cant help with in the Hawk threads ;)

Pman

Make sense, the stick don't shake when firing, but the whole plane shakes together with the stick (lol). At least we would have something shaking. It is a hell of an immersion feature and I use it in ROF mildly.

Does ButtKicker works with the guns (won't buy it, just curious)? I might be wrong, but FF does not seem to have much going on in DCS (for WWII planes).

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

Butkicker is driven by sound AFAIK so It should work.

I disagree about FFB not doing much in the WW2 birds. It makes trimming much easier and closer to how its done in real life. It gives you some indication of speed and helps you figure out how close to the limit you are.

However... the downside is that I've never found an FFB stick without lots of gear lash and therefore sloppyness

Thanks for the feedback. I am still playing around with it. I might change my mind, although it won't ever shake with the guns. This is too bad, because firing the cannon with the old MCS is just a blast and you get used to it too. I don't think the shaking throws my aim off at ROF.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...