dcs is bad for the wallet.

agentdarnell

My wallet is not in danger from DCS simply because I halted all inventment after FC3 to see if EDGE brings anything worth further investment. Im now waiting since December 2013 when EDGE was to be released "soon". And in fact I'm alredy about to loose concrn about the whole DCS seeing how bad the multiplayer scenne has become in regards to available and populated servers, missions and overall in game behaviour.

My system is fairly old and I would love to upgrade if, but can't right now. Running an x58 setup with a i7 920 and gtx 580. The video cards will be first whenever I can.

I know the feeling! I'm still running a core 2 duo 6850@3.0 that I built 7 or 8 years ago(it's had more than it's fair share of upgrades, and still chugs along). I need to upgrade!

No danger either. I buy the planes I want and think I will play with. To be honest to get good in one plane takes a lot of time.

You can easily buy the FC3 module full of non-clickable cockpits and consume a lot of time just getting good with the systems and the dynamics of flying against missiles especially with the panes with the AFM. I'm sure there are players that only have this module. If you enjoy these planes there is no reason to buy any others.

Lets not forget the free frogfoot and tf51. The frogfoot is a fantastic trainer aircraft and learning those systems in a classic Russian flying tank is fun even without a clickable cockpit. The tf51 is a great prop plane teaser too. Getting good at this makes flying the gunned p 51 easy.

This really is the best thing about DCS. The prices may seem high, but you only need buy planes you really want.

Many people waste more than the cost of one module on alcohol (in the UK) per week and how long does that last. Plus at worst you might (uhm) wake up next to a girl you kinda regret now the beer glasses have worn off.

I've not gone along with a dcs module yet and then regretted it later. Even the sabre that I woke up hating the look of I slowly learnt to love it as I got behind the skin.

Now, if on the other hand they released stuff I really wanted every week then I could easily end up living in a box with a tin 'change for dcs' and a sign saying 'Will do stuff to use computer to play dcs'.

Edited by BFBunny

DCS is certainly becoming dangerous for the wallet with the shear frequency of releases. However, I must say, my latest purchase of the MiG-15 was well worth every penny. What an amazing aircraft to learn, fly, and fight in. I highly recommend it to anyone!

No danger to my wallet anymore. Maybe when DCS2.0 is out and it is all that I want it to be, I'll spend money on DCS again - but that's not likely in the near future.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Step 1: Get Money

Step 2: Pay Bills

Step 3: Buy modules

Step 4: Get good

Step 5: Pretend Step 4 never happened

Step 6: Profit, I guess

Edited by X-Alt

Remember kids, brush your teeth and use FLOOD mode.

|FX8320@4.8GHz|XFX DD R9 290 @1180\1600|8GB DDR3-1866|HX750|Corsair 750D|Crosshair V Formula-Z| Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, help me pls!|

The point is to build discipline. Real pilots need good one, so do the virtual. Be disciplined when the new sale come...

With the last sale I was like kid in candy store - I wanted FC3, wanted Ka50, wanted Dora, ... but then I realized that they will just fill my hangar gathering dust. But I was sure I want to support the devs so I came with the idea to buy modules which I already have (and because they were for real good price). :)

I bought two extra Mustangs, and as it was Christmas time I gave one as present to my friend (one still left, didnt have time yet to make someone happy ;) ).

The same discipline applied to the modules I have. I started my virtual (online) carrier with P51D. I played P51 on WWII servers recently. And with the latest release of MiG15 I am going to start Korea war carrier. With the upcoming release of F18/F14 I will start my modern era carrier. Makes really sense to me ;)

The same applies to my hardware - nothing special - no HOTAS, no TrackIR, no 4k panels. As it runs smooth and as I am more often behind someone then in front of then I am OK with it. :music_whistling: