What does actually change in the way the AI pilot’s behave in the various AI modes?

What does actually change in the way the AI pilot’s behave in the various AI modes?

I know the AI pilots should somehow get better with every higher AI step,

but I hope somebody can explain what the actual differences are between

the various AI pilot’s modes.

1. Average

2. Good

3. High

4. Excellent

5. Random (randomly select 1 trough 4)

6. Player (you or me)

7. Client (don’t know what this does)

It could be that the AI pilot’s missile slider moves from 50% (good) to 100%

(excellent) or that he gets his lock faster or that in excellent mode he can

look trough clouds.

There are a lot more possibilities that I can think of and your guess is as good

as mine but I hope somebody from ED developers or the ED testers team can

really explain what’s really going on.

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

Nice subject...

I always wonder what's the real differences between average through excellent, could it be a max G load they can pull? The actual manuevers/tactics they can employ? I never found any tips on the manual...

One thing I know: The "Client" behaviour is for multiplayer purpose.

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil

I'd need to check, but I think it's level of aggression.

Average seems to bimble along without noticing he's in missile range, a bit laid-back and stoned . . . . . Excellent, meantime, is champing at the bit, foaming at the mouth, and attempting to shoot you in the teeth, knees, and earlobes.

I think the the AI logics differ in one major parameter- the time for reaction. The Average AI needs more time to make a decision while the Excellent gets it quicker.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I concur on the current position about excellent [foaming at the mouth with aggression, i think it was]

I recently got shot down [i was in an F-15] by a ka-50 i that I regretably set to excellent and put a few A2A heaters on.

...stop laughing...

anyway I look at it as a great accomplishment in mission building as opposed to a failure as a pilot

in my defense I was in a low altitude turning fight with a mig-29 at the time.

No laughing, I've been through this- once in LO 1.02 I was also flying the F-15 and I got shot down by Ka-50 with cannon in head-on. He fired from much bigger distance than my Vulcan's limit and I didn't understand what happened untill my plane started to come apart. Next time I didn't forget to put a couple of Sidewinders on board :D

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Sorry for not responding to your answers the previous week but right after

posting this subject I had to go skiing with the family for a week in the French

Alps (Val Thorens) and we had great snow and fun.

But I remain very interested in what does actually change in the way the AI

pilot’s behave in the various AI modes?

1. Average

2. Good

3. High

4. Excellent

To my opinion it would be to simple that with the level going up from 1 to 4

the AI pilot would just get more aggressive and what do more aggressive

actually do?

1. AI acts faster to radar threads

2. AI rapidly fires more missiles

3. AI does faster and better maneuvering

4. AI gets better in avoiding missiles

5. AI does not get scared when he has multiple missiles coming in

6. AI gets better in al kinds of combat tricks

7. AI ...

8. AI ...

9. AI ...

I hope somebody from the ED testers or Developers can bring some real

information to the table, but then a gain this could be one of the secrets

of the Lock On game.

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

The only thing that I have consistently noticed for the AI is what's already been mentioned in a couple of different ways. The higher the setting, the sooner they start shooting. This one sort of hits you in the face--sometimes literally. I also get the impression that they maneuver better in a knife fight. Whether or not the latter carries over to the BVR missile avoidance etc, I'm not sure. Never specifically tested it myself. So, if you find yourself with some idle time and have the desire to answer your own question...

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Hi Ironhand,

Thanks for the answers so fare, but I hoped that you as a member of the ED testing team and a very gifted track creator would have more insight in the inner workings of the AI.

So here are some more questions to you answers.

The higher the setting, the sooner they start shooting. This one sort of hits you in the face--sometimes literally.

How can the AI start shooting sooner, can the AI in a higher skill mode get a quicker lock and if he can do the missiles have a higher hit change by having a longer range and/or better navigational path?

I also get the impression that they maneuver better in a knife fight.

That sounds like a real better AI in terms of situational awareness when flying CAC mode?

Whether or not the latter carries over to the BVR missile avoidance etc, I'm not sure. Never specifically tested it myself.

So in BVR mode and on higher skill level the AI can lock you up sooner or in other terms the AI missile slider slowly but surly moves to hundred percent?

So, if you find yourself with some idle time and have the desire to answer your own question...

Just out off curiosity, is this the way to become a member of the ED BS testing team?

I really regret not having the time and probably the skills probably or the knowledge necessary to really become a test team member.

One thing I have noticed up until now is that the AI gets scared very easily in BVR and in a lower skill mode, when you fly One-on-One in Head-to-Head in an F-15C in BVR up against any Russian fighter in a lower AI skill mode and you are at the edge of the BVR envelope it seems that if you fire you first AMRAAM the enemy fighter will start evasive maneuvers and disengage you, so in my opinion it is scared of and if you fire a second and/or third AMRAAM he has no change of escape, the only thing you probably have to do is avoid getting hit by just one fired Russian missile and you’re the winner.

This is quiet a bit different in a higher AI mode where the AI fires the missiles sooner (how can he do that) and faster, so he is trying to scare you, LOL I can not die and I am not easily sacred and last but not least I am under the impression that the AI missiles are more effective when using a higher AI skill lever.

Hi Ironhand,

Thanks for the answers so fare, but I hoped that you as a member of the ED testing team and a very gifted track creator would have more insight in the inner workings of the AI.

So here are some more questions to you answers.

How can the AI start shooting sooner, can the AI in a higher skill mode get a quicker lock and if he can do the missiles have a higher hit change by having a longer range and/or better navigational path?

That sounds like a real better AI in terms of situational awareness when flying CAC mode?

So in BVR mode and on higher skill level the AI can lock you up sooner or in other terms the AI missile slider slowly but surly moves to hundred percent?

Just out off curiosity, is this the way to become a member of the ED BS testing team?

I really regret not having the time and probably the skills probably or the knowledge necessary to really become a test team member.

One thing I have noticed up until now is that the AI gets scared very easily in BVR and in a lower skill mode, when you fly One-on-One in Head-to-Head in an F-15C in BVR up against any Russian fighter in a lower AI skill mode and you are at the edge of the BVR envelope it seems that if you fire you first AMRAAM the enemy fighter will start evasive maneuvers and disengage you, so in my opinion it is scared of and if you fire a second and/or third AMRAAM he has no change of escape, the only thing you probably have to do is avoid getting hit by just one fired Russian missile and you’re the winner.

This is quiet a bit different in a higher AI mode where the AI fires the missiles sooner (how can he do that) and faster, so he is trying to scare you, LOL I can not die and I am not easily sacred and last but not least I am under the impression that the AI missiles are more effective when using a higher AI skill lever.

It is kind of funny like you describe the AI’s tactic. He is not scaring you but he is just trying to push you into defensive. The Su is launching the ER’s sooner because they have a longer range and more importantly because he needs to keep lock until impact while staying as long as possible away of your fire and forget AMRAAMs. I never tried something else except than “Excellent AI” thus I can’t compare them. The problem with the AI is that once you find a technique it works time after time (AI doesn’t learn from his mistakes). Anyway since 1.12a the F-15C AI is chaffing more effectively and it is harder to make kills with SAR missiles.

PS. AI is almost no challenge with 1 vs 1 in BVR (you need 1 vs 2+ to have fun).

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

How can the AI start shooting sooner, can the AI in a higher skill mode get a quicker lock?

Sure why not? As a human I now get a quicker lock when I play (call me GOOD) than 2 yrs ago (call me AVERAGE) when I started flying Lockon and struggled just to stay in the air - LOL.

Also, dont just think air-to-air, try some AI firing missiles at an Elnya for example, the better the AI the longer range that they will fire from.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....