F-86 Sabre Formation Training Module

Invisibull

Hi Folks,

I threw the attached .miz together in order to help you all work on your formation flying. As the student pilot, you'll start about 1500 feet behind your (ai) flight instructor, at the same speed, heading and altitude.

The goal is to get close enough to the lead aircraft to trigger a "You're in formation" message as depicted below. If you can hold that position long enough (2 minutes by default) you've reached expert status. However, if you slip out of position for even a second, the clock will reset, and you'll have to start all over again. A text message will inform you if you've gone out of formation.

I encourage people to feel free to alter this mission in anyway they see fit. Change plane type, speeds, altitude, size of moving zone or times required to reach each of the 4 achievement levels, whatever it takes to have fun and improve your formation flying. If anyone needs assistance customizing this mission, I'll be more than glad to help. (I've chosen .8 mach as the speed for this exercise because Boots Blesse repeatedly recommends staying at a high Mach number during patrol, so why not train how you'll fight, right?)

Installation: Just drop the attached .miz file in your C:\Users\(your name)\Saved Games\DCS\Missions folder and get flying.

Please find version 2 of this training module attached.

Changes:

-The default formation distance has been increased slightly as some were finding it a bit too challenging. (This can be adjusted by changing the value of the movingzone triggerzone.)

-There are now two separate formation ai planes allowing 2 people to train simultaneously online. Just pick either student A or B and form up on the jet immediately in front of you. I've also allowed for 3 slots for instructors/observers, which came in handy when using it with my squadron.

-I've enabled labels. One of the most important formation skills you can learn imo is to be able to quickly join up on your leader from a distance. By using my label mod (also attached) you can set up scenarios where you must, from miles away, spot, close in on and rejoin your leader as quickly as possible. This is an important skill to have when getting separated during an air engagement.

-The time in formation required to achieve each of the 4 levels has been increased.

If you're having trouble getting the hang of formation flying, try the following:

- Try to completely avoid looking at gauges inside the plane. Instead, concentrate only on the plane you're trying to form up on. After a short time, you'll start to be able to identify closure rates and be able to adjust your throttle accordingly without knowing your airspeed.

- Don't use your speed brakes. Relying on your speed brakes will get you caught in a cycle of approaching too fast then becoming too slow. Instead, use quick, radical throttle adjustments to control your airspeed and overtake.

- Keep your plane trimmed for level flight as best you can. The better trimmed out you are, the less need to fight with the controls.

-Relax. The looser you are, the tighter the formation you'll fly.

Enjoy,

Bull

Screen_150321_114924.jpg

+Formation_Training_Module_v2.miz

39th VFS Label Mod.rar

Edited by Invisibull
update
  • Like 1

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Bull,

Do you think there is any way to add turns to this with the lead letting the wingman know just before the turn via a trigger zone or something?

It wouldn't be a problem at all, Zeke. I've already done similar for my own training. Maybe for the next phase I'll include that. Thanks for the suggestion.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

This is a ton of fun and with practice will help formation flying for sure. The 25 ft. bubble was like flying NASCAR, chipping paint. What a blast though last night. :) At 60ft this will seem like a walk in the park!!

Nice work with this mission.:thumbup:

Other missions incl. finger 4 flying, lead cover while in dogfight and other important roles could be useful to get simmers familiar with our precious Sabre

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

thanks, now this is very helpful!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't have thought of doing this myself, it's a good idea! I haven't tried v.2 but v.1 was fun. Took me quite a while to finally form up but once I did I was able to hang with him until I got the expert rating on my first try. I'll have to try it some more to see if I was just lucky! ;)

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Hi Invisibull,

I have problem with the loading of your mission. I think it's coming from my Game, but where ?

After select the pilot (Student A....) and start on the screen, nothing happens and a Windows message :"DCS has stopped running" and return to the debriefing screeen with the error message "Cannot open the debriefing file".

Thank you for your help

Hi Invisibull,

I have problem with the loading of your mission. I think it's coming from my Game, but where ?

After select the pilot (Student A....) and start on the screen, nothing happens and a Windows message :"DCS has stopped running" and return to the debriefing screeen with the error message "Cannot open the debriefing file".

Thank you for your help

Hi Elastic, Sorry you're having trouble. Perhaps it's some mod you're running? I'd start by disabling any mods you're running and going from there. That I haven't heard of anyone else with the same problem makes me think it's very unlikely related to this actual .miz file. Good luck.

Bull

Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't have thought of doing this myself, it's a good idea! I haven't tried v.2 but v.1 was fun. Took me quite a while to finally form up but once I did I was able to hang with him until I got the expert rating on my first try. I'll have to try it some more to see if I was just lucky! ;)

Glad you're enjoying it Justificus. Remember to reduce the size of the movingzone to make it more challenging once you've mastered the default setting.

Hi INvisibull,

Thank you for your quick answer. I'have no Mods and I have the same problem with the Gunslinger mission. My downloaded missions are saved on a disk different from the disk of DCS World. Is-it the reason?

Thanks

Hi again, Elastic. I'm afraid your question is better posted in a troubleshooting section. I'm really not very good with this sort of thing. Sorry.

Bull

Hey Invisibull,

Thanks for this great mission. I can't refuel to save my skin so when I found this mission I just had to try it. As I'm currently learning F-15C I changed all planes to this type and changed distance trigger to 100. After 15 mins of flying practice I got the two minute notification. I was well chuffed! It has taught me to fly out of the cockpit more, going to try and refuel now!

Thanks again!

Worther_1

Worther_1

DCS Black Shark 2, A10-C, Huey, MiG-21bis, Hawk, Flaming Cliffs 3, F/A-18, Nevada Terrain.

Hey Invisibull,

Thanks for this great mission. I can't refuel to save my skin so when I found this mission I just had to try it. As I'm currently learning F-15C I changed all planes to this type and changed distance trigger to 100. After 15 mins of flying practice I got the two minute notification. I was well chuffed! It has taught me to fly out of the cockpit more, going to try and refuel now!

Thanks again!

Worther_1

You're welcome and glad you're enjoying it. You're using it exactly as intended.

Bull