Constant updater crashes/freezes

Airway

It starts bugging me. Everytime the updater wants to update itself, when an update is available,

it "initializes" and then freezes the whole computer, forcing me to reset the PC.

After the reboot, the updater shows an error message, telling me it is not compatible with the windows version anymore.

I have to downlad the updater itself from http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ and manually installing the file, so that I am able to start DCS again.

This bug showed several dozen time an it is really annoying, so any effort to solve this problem is highly appreciated. I don't want to see big data loss occur on my harddrive because of all the resets.

I am using Win 7 64 with all updated and patches and as security solution I'm using Bitdefender Total Security 2015.

If it's the firewall, it should block a connection, give out a warning and log it.

Same counts for antivirus. Neither of them has logged a blocked access to a file or prevented access to internet. I wouldn't assume it's that. And a firewall isn't intended to be turned off for "special actions" though. Would render the whole thing useless.

Have the same problem, got bitdefener as AV and its blockin even when DCS is allowed. normally i could choose not to update, so i could uninstall bitdefender then update, (yes bitdefender is shit) now its running straight to crahs mode:P

[sIGPIC]www.vjokers.no[/sIGPIC]

Bitdefender has caused issues before this in DCS. also.

In todays world of "Virus" watching and hacking. It is a waist to have a virus protection program if one is aware of the deterrence available to home users. Not opening email from person unknown to U. not clicking links that do not match the content of a search.......i.e. names of webpages that end or begin with a redirect statement like www.updatemicrosoft.......instead of www.Microsoft/ update. (do not want to add a link so syntax is construed.

I haven't used an Anti-Virus program in at least 22yrs. now. and have never received a virus in all that time. It is a scare tactic used to generate income for Corporations. Most hackers and virus writers have turned their attention to making money in nefarious ways so mucking with a Personal Computer is not something they consider doing as it generates little in the way of ill gotten gains. Gone are the days of the "Melissa Virus" and the like. But as with most things ignorance is bliss, the information is all over the web on how to avoid virus infestations, as time passes those sites and its information is dwindling as Operating System seal back door entrances to hackers and software manufactures even run tests on their offerings. As per the "Urban Legends" historical data we as a people will continue our fear of the "Virus" well through this generation and the next. The level of knowledge needed to understand this issue is at least 6 generations away or more if Moore's law is any indication.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I have AV suites that I use to scan, however for the most part, they are disabled completely,

startup items removed, active protection disabled, services stopped abd set to disabled etc.

if i need to scan I enable servicesetc abd go then disable.

Almost every AV suite has issues with a majority of my applications because AV suites by default are set to such stupidly strict levels, it blocks everything abd marks every lobrary as PUP abd blocks them.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

3 days left before I have to uninstall DCS. Security goes first and one never doubts security for issues.

Why are you uninstalling DCS? The second part of your statement is confusing.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• ED Team
it "initializes" and then freezes the whole computer, forcing me to reset the PC.

The updater, as well as any other regular application cannot do this.

"Freezing" a computer is a privilege of device drivers and other ring-0 applications, such as antiviruses.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Thank you for your reply.

Well, what is triggering the freeze is DCS updater's incompatibility with the antivirus solution (or otherwise round). I am reporting, so this bug can be checked and maybe forwarded to the AV developers by DCS developers. I thought driver incompatibilities are solved this way too, aren't they?

I had reported this behaviour to the Bitdefender support but as expected, got no response yet.

Do you have any other solution for my problem, except switching to another security suite?

Edited by Airway