DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread

FSFIan

Hello. I have not created the file and JSON. What am I doing wrong???

The solution is probably the same as described in this post (wrong path for devices.lua and command_defs.lua). You should have an error message in dcs.log that tells you it could not find one of those files.

Like jazzymanserg, you probably started by copying Mig21.lua and did not notice that the file paths are different. As far as I know, the Mig-21 is the exception; most other aircraft will have those files under Cockpit/Scripts.

PS: Please make new threads for each issue. This thread was meant for general comments and feedback, not support requests.

control-reference.html

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/doc.css">

<title>DCS-BIOS Documentation</title>

<script src="js/jquery-2.1.1.min.js"></script>

<script src="js/underscore-min.js"></script>

<script src="js/q.js"></script>

<script src="js/tcp-promise-wrapper.js"></script>

<script src="js/globals.js"></script>

<script src="json/MetadataEnd.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/MetadataStart.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/CommonData.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/A-10C.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/UH-1H.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/MiG-21Bis.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/Ka-50.jsonp"></script>

<script src="json/L-39C.jsonp"></script>

<script src="js/control-reference.js"></script>

<script src="js/dcs-bios-connection.js"></script>

</head>

<body ng-controller="DocController">

<noscript>

<h2 style="color: red;">This page requires JavaScript to be enabled.</h2>

</noscript>

<div id="app">

</div>

</body>

</html>

try to use zbstudio for LUA ...

hello every body ... IAN can i ask about explaination of what does this "updateCurrentStepperPosition()"?

With respect

Kadda

My works

TL-39 (NewGen) project (Ру)/(EN)

Hi, I hope someone could nudge me in the right direction.

I'm experimenting with creating a control reference for the AJS37. I've started with this as a base for understanding how things work. DCS-BIOS can successfully read the state of those four switches, but sending commands back (i.e. manipulating the switches through DCS-BIOS) doesn't work. I collected the values from clickabledata.lua, are the 300x values actually the wrong ones?

I also took a look at the other modules in DCS-BIOS and noticed that some simple 2-position switches have a higher (or way higher) maximum value than 1. I assumed that on/off switches would simply have values of 0 or 1 but apparently that's not the case?

kadda: DCS-BIOS uses the same refresh rate (30 times per second) for all values.

And before this thread gets to page 80...

No matter how often I ask people to make separate threads for separate issues, new support requests seem to end up here and this thread grows and grows.

I did not have time to answer questions for the last four days and three questions have been posted since my last post in here (one of which has been resolved by the original poster). If I were to start answering them, we'd have several concurrent conversations in one thread again. And if this keeps up and I want to refer to one of the answers a few months from now, finding it again in a megathread would be more effort than typing it all out. This megathread has turned something I enjoy (helping people learn about electronics and programming) into a frustrating experience that I subconsciously avoid.

I don't know why this happens. Maybe I suck at communicating. Maybe people are afraid I won't see their new thread in the Home Cockpits forum. Maybe they see a "DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread', do not read the first post, do not read any of the last posts, and just post away. Frankly, at this point I am annoyed enough that I don't care.

From now on, I will no longer answer questions about how to use or extend DCS-BIOS in this thread.

If you want me to spend a few minutes to answer your question, you can spend a few seconds to find that "new thread" button and think of a meaningful subject line.

I am subscribed to the Home Cockpits forum and while I don't follow every thread closely, I make sure to visit all of the posts about once a day so the forum gets marked as read and I do not miss any new threads.

@Patriot, SirBunker, KetPot: if you open a new thread for your respective issues I will be happy to help. I am not annoyed with any one person in particular, this post is just me venting frustration that has built up over the last few months.

I would like to suggest that all new thread titles be prefixed with "DCS-BIOS". That way a search using the argument "DCS-BIOS" will bring up all threads relating to same. Someone who is interested in looking at a number a number of DCS-BIOS issues will have a much easier time finding information.

So again it's "DCS-BIOS <description of issue>" as the thread title.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

I think you should do it the way Ian wants not the way you think, it is his program and he is trying to give us a service.

Easy way is to close this thread and then we have to start new ones. But he don't want to do that because of all the information in here.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I think you should do it the way Ian wants not the way you think, it is his program and he is trying to give us a service.

Easy way is to close this thread and then we have to start new ones. But he don't want to do that because of all the information in here.

If you are referring to my post you might want to re-read it. I am suggesting that all NEW threads (not posts) are titled this way. For the purposes of searching all threads related to DCS-BIOS, it makes finding information much easier. I am also NOT suggesting that people continue posting in this thread.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Is it possible to use/adapt DCS-BIOS with Black Shark 1.0.2 (Standalone, not a DCS module)?

Ka-50 work x10 time faster on my hardware compared to KA-50 2.

I've made ABRIS panel on Arduino UNO but I cant get it to publish data into DCS.

If someone can help, I can provide any technical info required.

Is it possible to use/adapt DCS-BIOS with Black Shark 1.0.2 (Standalone, not a DCS module)?

I have no way to tell. I don't have access to a copy of standalone Black Shark and I don't even know if the Export.lua mechanism existed back then.

If you want to try adapting it, you'll have to learn Lua and maintain your own patches on top of DCS-BIOS. I'd start by looking at dcs.log and seeing which places in the code cause errors because they try to use features that didn't exist in BS1.

One example would be the calls to LoIsOwnshipExportAllowed() in the CommonData module, as those settings were only introduced in later versions of DCS: World. If you are really lucky, those checks might be the only thing you have to remove.

• 1 month later...
Ian;2356932']If you just started using DCS-BIOS' date=' it would be helpful to know your previous experience in electronics and programming, what you have built with DCS-BIOS, and which parts of the documentation confused you the most while figuring out how to do it.[/quote']

To reply to your original questions; I have basic electronic experience i.e. understanding of voltage, current, how to use a switch and LED/bulb.

Very rudimentary understanding of Java Script and decent bash scripting knowledge.

The diagrams in the documentation were extremely helpful for understanding how to wire rotary encoders and switches in particular, as well as providing some information on their differences.

Perhaps some more info on the advantages/disadvantages of rotary encoders over rotary switches would be helpful.

I’d never used an Arduino before but had heard of them.

Was pleasantly surprised to see how cheap they are from China especially compared to the Raspberry Pi!

I still don’t understand how to use these parts of the code perhaps an example of this in use would help:

void onArcVolChange(unsigned int newValue) {

/* your code here */

}

DcsBios::IntegerBuffer arcVolBuffer(0x2216, 0xffff, 0, onArcVolChange);

I've already made a generic panel I use with DCS BIOS.

It has features like warning lights, fire extinguishers, drop tanks, landing and nav lights etc

Currently working on another generic panel that will handle radio and nav.

When I want to use a different module with a panel I just load the sketch I made for it.

eg. mig-21 :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdwptze66n9fs4w/Generic_MiG-21_001.ino?dl=0

Edited by Inverted

The "void"-command starts a function or procedure. (see the manual of C++)

In your example you can do "something" with the value of the variable "newValue". newValue will change if you turn the ARC Volume Pot inside the virtual cockpit.

As I have no MIG, I have no idea of the meaning :) Maybe, you choose a bad example.

I (just for example) use "void" to control the Backlight of my panels (A-10C) (it uses the variable "alt"):

void onLcpConsoleChange(unsigned int alt) { // "alt" will get new value if Backlight changes
  analogWrite(PIN, alt/256); // alt = 0...65535 (could also use map()...), PIN is a PWM-OUT of the Arduino
} 
DcsBios::IntegerBuffer lcpConsole(0x1150, 0xffff, 0, onLcpConsoleChange);

In general you should reach your goals if you use the code snippets are shown in "Simple View" of control reference.

You did a very nice first step with your Panel. Congratulations :)

From what I know (and can see in your code and pics), your panel should work.

I don't know if I have the procuration for this (cause I'm not one of the brightest candles on top of this cake): Welcome to the Pit-Builder's Community. :)

PS: In the future embed your code into code-tags. It's a mess to download an example (just to dip into it) from dropbox ;)

Edit:

To answer your next post (without open another one): I made good experiences with those tiny momentary buttons (looked at aliexpress for the english expression) called tactile push buttons. They do not bounce and used to be very safe.

(This is adressed to anyone): For discussing problems of a special nature: open a new thread. Start the Title with "DCS-BIOS... " (as Ian and Warhog asked for a few times). "DCS-BIOS: What kind of hardware is recommended (or not) for sth." could be a good template to a title. Otherwise it gets some confusing here, even a question can get lost. (Look at the number of this post) :)

Edited by Tekkx
  • Like 1

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Thanks for the explanation Tekkx, I think I understand it better now.

The panel works pretty well, with the exception of the small momentary push buttons at the top.

I’m guessing because they aren’t hardware or software denounced they can be a bit tricky to use as they sometimes send the toggle command multiple times.

The red buttons don’t seem to have this issue.

So I won’t use the little buttons again!

i want to show airspeed information send to LiquidCrystal lcd.(2*16)

hello my Friends.

I want to get dcs-bios, altitude ,speed information,and .... ,as a number, not as a servo output.

if i can get a number ,i can put that number into a liquidcrystal lcd display with arduino board.

plz help me....:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

thx a lot:thumbup:.

I apologize for my bad english.:cry:

hello my Friends.

I want to get dcs-bios, altitude ,speed information,and .... ,as a number, not as a servo output.

if i can get a number ,i can put that number into a liquidcrystal lcd display with arduino board.

plz help me....:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

thx a lot:thumbup:.

I apologize for my bad english.:cry:

from dcs bios you always get a number from 0 to 65535

With respect

Kadda

My works

TL-39 (NewGen) project (Ру)/(EN)