DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread

FSFIan

Someone know how to extract UHF frequency and channel on the panel UHF on the left side? For the F-16C Viper?

Same for chaft and flare count in cmds on the left side?

After that, i have a full cockpit works for me.

Edited by Sharknoir

Hello

I am brand new to DCS and DCS Bios. I have been using DCS Panels for my Saitek on IL-2 but it does not work for DCS. DCS Panels cannot find DCS BIOS. So install DCS BIOS I go to the Wepage. My DCS install is there however some of my modules are not.

When I click the 3 checkboxes in DCS Connection

1. appending line: BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]];if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]

error while generating new Export.lua content: CreateFile C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua: The system cannot find the file specified.

2. error: could not create file C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-Autostart-hook.lua: open C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-Autostart-hook.lua: The system cannot find the path specified.

3. error: could not create file C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-LuaConsole-hook.lua: open C:\Users\Fang3\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-BIOS-LuaConsole-hook.lua: The system cannot find the path specified.

I gotta tell you, I understand things generally do not work perfectly. But I was really let down by this manual that implies it is going to be detailed and walk me through step by step. Eerything will be answered. Immediately this was not true. When downloading I see THREE files DCS-BIOS-Hub-

Setup-v0.8.1.31.msi,

Source code (tar.gz),

Source code(zip)

I would assume the last 2 are for developers but maybe they are not? It would be nice to at least mention these as needing to be ignored? Then again maybe I shouldn't ignore them. I have no idea. I especially love this line:

"If your DCS installation is not shown above, you can manually add the following line to your Export.lua to enable the Virtual Cockpit Connection:

BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]];if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]"

Oh.

OK.

What?

Again I am a 30 year sim vet, so I understand we can sometimes leave someone new in the dark with our computer jargon.

Anyway, Please help a brand new DCS pilot get over his 1st of many teething problems

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

Good day

I would have two questions.

Is there a F 18 hornet output on compas to servos?

Do you have a simple example of 28BYJ-48 stepper motor and ULN2003 driver? Thank you for your help

No and no.

Hello, is it normal that when you switch to HUD and MFD view only or in F2 view, the F-16C DED is no longer refreshed? Rather annoying for cockpit owners.

This is normal. When DCS is not rendering a display, it also stops updating the values that DCS-BIOS exports. A workaround might be to export the cockpit display to a monitor as a 1x1 pixel window somewhere so it is technically always visible. I don't know if that still works, the last time I tried that was with DCS 1.5.

Hello, now the INS page on DED works. We will find it in DCS-BIOS 0.85?

No. (v0.8.5 was just released and I don't have a pull request for these changes yet. It will take some time for someone who is interested in the F-16 to add these.)

Would there be interest in setting up the code for each aircraft that has common buttons on their UFC.

i.e. Right now the A-10C and the F/A-18 have two different definitions for the 0 button? UCF_10 and UFC_0

I am working on adding functionality that lets you remap controls between different aircraft. Maybe once that is implemented, we can offer a few "default" remappings.

Standardizing the command names works in some cases (e.g. an "ILS" push button on the UFC) but does not solve the problem completely:

• the left and right MFDs have 20 buttons in all western aircraft I know of, but the numbering differs; OSB 1 is the first one in the top row on the A-10C and the bottom-most one on the left side in the Harrier. Which naming scheme should win?
  • we already have different naming conventions in different module definitions. When standardizing, it would break backward compatibility for at least some of them.
  • A lot of aircraft have a "Battery Switch", but sometimes it has two positions (OFF, ON) and sometimes three (OFF, ON and TEST or RESET or something).

To make a long story short, standardizing the command names is not as easy as it sounds and does not completely solve the problem anyway. It will be easier to set up a system where we can add information like "these two switches on these two aircraft have exactly the same meaning" and "here's how you translate from this switch in aircraft A to this switch in aircraft B".

PS: It would really really help if you would start separate threads for separate questions. This feels like having four conversations at once and it's really annoying.

This thread is fine for short feedback and comments, but anything that requires further discussion should be on its own thread. This thread only exists because if you don't provide one like this, people will just post in the announcement thread, which is meant to be a low-traffic thread to subscribe to if you want to be notified of new releases.

I guess I should just stop answering questions in here altogether. Every time I answer one in here I encourage the growth of a 100+ page thread where I can't re-use answers to the same questions because I can't find them again.

/rant

• 2 weeks later...

DCS-BIOS ver 10.xx

Hi Ian, hi guys

I have just installed version 10, but I do not see the Plugins page link. Am I being dumb?

I have reverted to 8.5 because that way I can see the control references for my modules.

In 9 and above I see no plugins link.

Ian, thanks for your new work on this great bit of software. The new interface is great.

Mole

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Hey guys,

Maybe this question was asked several times but I could not finde something, yet.

Is a guide available which tells how to extend the available commands?

I'm asking because I would like to map the Radar Antenna Elevation of the F18 to a Button Box (printed according to a thread here in the forum).

Thanks!

kreisch

Edit: Found it! http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/docs/v0.7.0/developerguide.html

Edited by kreisch

RWR Power in both F18 and F16

Good morning folks.

I love the updates to DCS-BIOS! couple of bugs i think. The RWR Power button, is coded as a 2Pos Switch. However when you connect that to a push button, you of course get a 1 and then a 0 indicating button pressed and released. The response in the cockpit from both F18 and f16 is the RWR power goes on.. then immediately off.

DcsBios::Switch2Pos rwrPowerBtn("RWR_POWER_BTN", A5);

DcsBios::Switch2Pos rwrPwrBtn("RWR_PWR_BTN", A5);

It does seem to be limited specifically to just those buttons in the game, the other push buttons seem to work ok. I currently have 5 hooked up. Master Modes AA and AG, Master Caution Reset, LIST (UFC/VIPER) and Jettison (HORNET).

Look forward to the response.

Thanks, keep up the awesome work on this mod!

Hi Ian,

For debuging of my pit till now I was using dcs bios v7.0, now I have switched to v10.x. My problem is in v7.0 was Fw 190D using description

BIOS.protocol.beginModule("FW-190D9", 0x3400)

and in v 10.0 module is 0x4000 so now whole my pit is not working.

Also I was using fw190D9.lua with correction done by me, based on my findings

I was trying to copy the changes to Fw-190D9.lua located in (using notepad++)

\Users\Draken152\AppData\Roaming/DCS-BIOS/Plugins 

but it is not working. Still in Control Reference I dont see any changes and also pit isnt working...

Please can you help me with this. Where shall I put updated Fw-190D9.lua??? Or can you intruduce this changes to plugin it self(see atached updated v7.0 file)???

Thx

FW190D9.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me getting a button matrix to work? I have built a matrix which registers button presses correctly in the SwitchMatrix library used by BlackLibrary's fork of DCS-BIOS. But when I try using it for DCS-BIOS functions nothing happens. I have assigned functions to every button using the appropriate Matrix2Pos commands but none of them work in DCS.

DCS-BIOS is connected to my Arduino as the LED is flickering when DCS is running and the command prompt window is full of gibberish (DCS-BIOS 0.7.31), but beyond that I can't tell what, if anything, is being sent to DCS. Can anyone help me debug this?

Edited by electricaltill

Packets dropping

Hi there guys.

I ma building an iPhone app that will enable people to to reference a bunch of radio frequencies and then let them "send" it to the Hornet.

So with one touch a button the app sends all the keystrokes required to program the radio.

For eg.

"COMM1_PULL 1\n"

"COMM1_PULL 0\n"

"UFC_1 1\n"

"UFC_1 0\n"

"UFC_ENT 1\n"

"UFC_ENT 0\n"

Problem is some of the commands never make it to the sim. It might miss a number or not trigger the COMM1 pull.

I know UDP is not reliable for this kind of stuff but how are other people coding around this? Has anyone tried sending a series of button presses rather that just a app based button press software panel?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

Problem is some of the commands never make it to the sim. It might miss a number or not trigger the COMM1 pull.

I know UDP is not reliable for this kind of stuff but how are other people coding around this? Has anyone tried sending a series of button presses rather that just a app based button press software panel?

Try adding a small delay between commands. As far as I can tell, commands for a particular control will be ignored while DCS is still animating that control. If you send multiple commands in the same UDP packet or within a very short time interval, they might even be processed in the same simulation frame. I am also not sure if you could issue the same command twice in one frame even when no animations were involved.

The unreliability of UDP tends not to be an issue on a LAN or localhost unless you have a huge amount of data to transfer and manage to fill up all of the buffers.

I've just moved over to DCS-BIOS 10, and although it's communicating fine with DCS via the web interface, my Arduino sketches are not working. The Rx light on the Arduino is flashing constantly so it seems to be communciating, but not transmitting anything. I'm just trying a basic Switch2Pos command currently. Can anyone help?

Ian;4133654']Try adding a small delay between commands. As far as I can tell, commands for a particular control will be ignored while DCS is still animating that control. If you send multiple commands in the same UDP packet or within a very short time interval, they might even be processed in the same simulation frame. I am also not sure if you could issue the same command twice in one frame even when no animations were involved.

The unreliability of UDP tends not to be an issue on a LAN or localhost unless you have a huge amount of data to transfer and manage to fill up all of the buffers.

Thanks man. I already have a slight delay of 1 second but perhaps need to play with it more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

Hi all

I have dcs bios 10 up and running. Virtual cockpit connection is working and the Arduino on Com3 is also connected. However dcs is not responding to button presses. I've tried mapping the master caution button and the signal test without succes.

When i connect the Arduino monitor to com3, it shows different characters with each button press, so i guess that is working too.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Best regards

Edited by Badger1815

• 3 weeks later...

What do I need to edit to correct an error in a switch definition? There is a switch in the F-14 RIO cockpit (jettison station 8 ) that is defined as a 2-position switch that is actually a 3-position.

I have found .json, .jsonp and .lua files for the F-14B in the DCS-BIOS folder in AppData/Roaming and in DCS-BIOS's folder in Program Files. There is another switch in the same bank that is correctly defined in the .json file as a 3-position switch, so I have copied that switch's code over to the incorrect one (except the address and mask of course), changing the switch type from a toggle switch to a '3postumb' in the F-14B.lua files.

I restarted DCS-BIOS after each change but the incorrect behaviour remained, and the web interface still only lets me select 2 positions out of the 3. What files do I need to edit to make this correction?

Edited by electricaltill