DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread

FSFIan

Another quick question... Does DCS BIOS have issues running multiple Arduino boards?

I'm running 7 MEGAs right now and it seems to crash/auto disconnect/forget all boards. I have to exit the game, restart DCS Bios and start it back up again.

***EDIT*** I'm 90% sure it was my anti virus.*****

Edited by Guppy

Thanks BlackLbrary... I ended up going with a different solution. I made a Joystick controller instead.

However, my issue running the 7 Arduino Megas is coming up again. It's DCS BIOS HUB and I show all 7 devices connected, but the moment I launch into a mission all Serial connections are gone from DCS BIOS. I have to exit the game, close DCS BIOS and start back over. This leads me to believe DCS BIOS is crashing. All Megas are listed as separate COM ports...so I'm not entirely sure what the issue is.

Any ideas? I've tried running as Admin and disabling Antivirus and it is continuing to crash.

Edited by Guppy

im involved in HUb but only in Modules and there i have not rights for all of them.

i update them if i can and only if get requests.

im sorry for that but since IAN has not the time.

HUB is death, to IANs reappear.

Flightpanles Fork i develop active

Hey guys,

i need your help with DCS BIOS and RS485. In my network runs 1 Master board (Mega2560) and 6 slave (Nano) and all ist running. Now I need 2 slaves more in my network, two Mega2560 as slave, but the two Mega Board not will run in the network.

DI on Max485 ist conntectet with TX1 on Mega. RO is connectet with RX1. DE and RE have a bridge an is connectet on pin 2 (D2) on the Mega. The sketch works fine without the Network, but in the network not. It's like the mega is not on the network.

Cheers Sky

Hey guys,

i need your help with DCS BIOS and RS485. In my network runs 1 Master board (Mega2560) and 6 slave (Nano) and all ist running. Now I need 2 slaves more in my network, two Mega2560 as slave, but the two Mega Board not will run in the network.

DI on Max485 ist conntectet with TX1 on Mega. RO is connectet with RX1. DE and RE have a bridge an is connectet on pin 2 (D2) on the Mega. The sketch works fine without the Network, but in the network not. It's like the mega is not on the network.

Cheers Sky

Try TX0 and RX0 on the slave Megas (marked TX and RX on my pinout).

These are the "default" pins most Arduinos have.

I don't know for sure it will fix your problem, but it's something to try.

Hi Guys

I know I'm missing the complete and utterly obvious - and probably overthinking it but I'm struggling to get DCS BIOS talking to my Mega. I connect an Uno and it just works. Use the same script and comm port (after unplugging the Uno :)) - I am unable to either update a led or trigger a switch change. The serial monitor led is flashing away - so the Mega is having serial data thrown at it.

It is using the CH340 chip, and I've also tried a second mega. If I didn't know better I'd say its a baud rate issue. (and answering the question before it gets asked - I've got a single Uno and lots of Megas :))

What am I missing?

Ta

Peter

Hi Guys

I know I'm missing the complete and utterly obvious - and probably overthinking it but I'm struggling to get DCS BIOS talking to my Mega. I connect an Uno and it just works. Use the same script and comm port (after unplugging the Uno :)) - I am unable to either update a led or trigger a switch change. The serial monitor led is flashing away - so the Mega is having serial data thrown at it.

It is using the CH340 chip, and I've also tried a second mega. If I didn't know better I'd say its a baud rate issue. (and answering the question before it gets asked - I've got a single Uno and lots of Megas :))

What am I missing?

Ta

Peter

It may not be the same port for the Mega as the Uno.

I have an Uno and some Nanos. The Nanos connect on port 6, the Uno on port 8, even though it's the same physical connector.

I just plugged in a Mega, and it connected as port 6 - so different to the Uno. Check that first.

It may not be the same port for the Mega as the Uno.

I have an Uno and some Nanos. The Nanos connect on port 6, the Uno on port 8, even though it's the same physical connector.

I just plugged in a Mega, and it connected as port 6 - so different to the Uno. Check that first.

Thanks - I did check that - as I'd unplugged the Uno and then plugged in the Mega - both used Com4. I'm pretty sure the Arduino is actually receiving data as the serial leds starting flash when I hit the connect button in DCS - if I didn't know better I'd guess it is a baud rate mismatch - but not sure how to validate - and I still could be completely looking in the wrong direction :)

Thanks - I did check that - as I'd unplugged the Uno and then plugged in the Mega - both used Com4. I'm pretty sure the Arduino is actually receiving data as the serial leds starting flash when I hit the connect button in DCS - if I didn't know better I'd guess it is a baud rate mismatch - but not sure how to validate - and I still could be completely looking in the wrong direction :)

I managed to find an older original Mega - and it worked first time. Same sketch. Non-communicating Mega at the top, and the classic (working) below - So I'm guessing it something to do with the CH340. Any bright ideas?

IMG-3065.jpg

I have installed DCS - Bios hub. I have a problem though.

Given that I have neither arduino nor other similar devices. In the pc I installed both DCS stable and DCS OpemBeta. But when I install DCS-Bios as a connection it only shows me dcs world stable.

How can I manually enter the OpenBeta too ??

I managed to find an older original Mega - and it worked first time. Same sketch. Non-communicating Mega at the top, and the classic (working) below - So I'm guessing it something to do with the CH340. Any bright ideas?

Your problem is not related to DCS-BIOS.

Please solve it by choosing the right drivers.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1020 mit Tapatalk

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

I have installed DCS - Bios hub. I have a problem though.

Given that I have neither arduino nor other similar devices. In the pc I installed both DCS stable and DCS OpemBeta. But when I install DCS-Bios as a connection it only shows me dcs world stable.

How can I manually enter the OpenBeta too ??

If you have no Arduino, etc. why are you installing DCS-BIOS? It's for communicating between DCS and external devices via Arduino, etc.

If you're not doing that, you don't need it.

Your problem is not related to DCS-BIOS.

Please solve it by choosing the right drivers.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1020 mit Tapatalk

This would be my first call too.

Though if the "non-working" one is programming properly, surely the drivers should be OK?

If you have no Arduino, etc. why are you installing DCS-BIOS? It's for communicating between DCS and external devices via Arduino, etc.

If you're not doing that, you don't need it.

Actually, it was recommended to me because I needed to see the real value of a flag at a certain moment of the mission and therefore I was recommended DCS-BIOS

Looking around online i see a number of different Max487 chps with different suffixes, like Max487CSA

Will all 487 chips work for the DCS-BIOS type projects or is there a particular type of Max487 chip to purchase?

Thanks

CSA is a surface-mounted chip (smd - not very easy for home soldering). CPA is standard package with through-hole soldering or for putting in a socket. CPE is with extra electrostatic protection - a bit more expensive but actually helpful if you cannot shield all your circuits properly. Just dont buy cheap packs from china - my first batch of 50 chips for 9$ completely went to smoke. I bought new ones for about 2€ a piece - and none have failed me since.

This would be my first call too.

Though if the "non-working" one is programming properly, surely the drivers should be OK?

Well the good news is got it running - and pretty sure the root cause was I had been using the Arduino IDE and Serial Port monitor for testing a Led Matrix, which only had the port running at 9600. The ironic way I discovered it - was came out this morning to check things and much to my dismay the Genuine Mega wasn't working, so it was time to backtrack. After powering everything down and powering up and not running the Arduino IDE with other code that used the serial port, things worked fine on the Genuine Mega, so then tried the Mega with the CH340 and it also worked. PHEW

Edited by bnepethomas