DCS-BIOS: Overview and Announcements

FSFIan

v0.8.1 is out:

https://github.com/dcs-bios/dcs-bios/releases/tag/v0.8.1%2B29

It includes the last missing changes from the DCSFlightpanels fork of DCS-BIOS.

It also includes the new documentation, which is mostly complete (it could still use more pictures / schematics and a few tutorials, and a new developer guide).

To access it, click the "Documentation" link in the web interface of the DCS-BIOS Hub.

The documentation is also available online on ReadTheDocs. If you click the version number in the bottom right corner, you can download it in ePub, PDF or HTML formats. Their search function is also a bit more reliable than the one in the offline documentation.

I will also use ReadTheDocs as a place to link to from the GitHub Readme and website (which I both still have to update) so new users can read about how to install DCS-BIOS without having to install DCS-BIOS first.

Please post comments in the DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread.

New Release: v0.8.2

• the PDF download of the documentation on readthedocs.org now shows the correct version number
  • the web interface of the DCS-BIOS Hub should now work on Internet Explorer and Edge browsers
  • the FA-18C Hornet is correctly recognized as an installed module
  • the automatic setup of Lua scripts no longer fails if the "Scripts" and/or "Hooks" directories do not exist in the user profile
  • improved error message when the user profile does not exist at all
  • the installer now saves the install location in the Windows registry at HKLM\Software\DCS-BIOS\DCS-BIOS Hub\Path. Third-party software could use this registry key to locate the control reference JSON files.
  • the installation documentation now explicitly mentions the name of the installer file

New Release: v0.8.3

• FA-18C: fix COMM1 and COMM2 channel preset displays when the first digit is "1" or "2"
  • FA-18C: right-justify UFC scratchpad display
  • Fix control reference communication in Edge browser
  • The automatic setup now detects DCS: World if it was installed via Steam

New Release: v0.8.4

• fix bingo fuel selector in AV8BNA
  • revert some changes to A-10C and UH-1H profiles to make the output addresses compatible with v0.7.1 again
  • A-10C: remove Canopy Position, TISL ENTER Light, TISL OVER TEMP Light, TISL BITE Light, TISL TRACK Light
  • UH-1H: change radar altimeter display, chaff and flare counts back to a string exports

There were some changes to the A-10C and Huey profiles in the DCS Flightpanels fork of DCS-BIOS that changed a bunch of export addresses, which would break existing home cockpit builds. I have reverted these changes for now so simpits that worked with v0.7.1 will also work with v0.8.4+.

New Release: v0.8.5

• Re-add the controls that were removed in release v0.8.4 in a way that retains compatibility with v0.7.1-based hardware cockpits and v0.7.30-based DCSFlightpanels configurations
  • F-14B: weapon store gauges are now exported as indicator lights
  • F-16: add UHF and CMDS display outputs
  • F-16: add OBOGS and GPS switches

New Release: v0.9.0

Release v0.9.0 changes how the project is organized.

The aircraft-specific parts of DCS-BIOS are now tracked as separate projects and installed using the new plugin manager. This will make future updates to the module definitions easier to publish and faster to apply (go to "Plugins", click "Check for updates", click "Select all" and "Apply available updates").

If you are upgrading from 0.8.x, you will have to follow the new setup instructions.

* Install the plugins for the aircraft modules you want to use. The "recommended plugins" feature will only work for the A-10C and Harrier at the time of release. Uncheck "only show recommended plugins" and manually select the plugins you need from the list. Then let me know the exact folder name of your aircraft module in the DCS installation folder (e.g. "mods\aircraft\A-10C" so I can add that information to the plugin catalog.

* The checkbox for "Virtual Cockpit Connection" will be unchecked and the Export.lua integration will be broken. To fix it, just check "Virtual Cockpit Connection" in the DCS Connection page again.

Please post comments and the folder names for your aircraft modules in the DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread.

For those who might have already tried v0.9.0 and could not get it to work:

I just noticed I screwed up some file names in the plugin repositories.

It's fixed now.

To get the updates, go to the "Plugins" page in the web interface, click "Check for updates", "Select all", "Apply available updates".

It will get updates for all plugins, even those that didn't have the problem. That was just easier for me to do because I just had to fix a script and run it again.

New Release: v0.9.3

If you are not using DCSFlightpanels, you can skip this version.

• Keep a copy of all control reference JSON files from plugins at %APPDATA%\DCS-BIOS\control-reference-json

If you are using DCSFlightpanels, point it to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\DCS-BIOS\control-reference-json so it can find the information in one central place again.

Please open separate threads for questions.

New Release: v0.10.0

• fix IntegerBuffer code snippet (add missing mask and shift_by values)
  • IntegerBuffer snippet is now prioritized over the ServoOutput snippet
  • document Potentiometer code snippet and expose the parameters for the EWMA filter
  • remove "Installed Modules" list (now that module definitions are being installed as plugins, this list will most likely be identical to the list of all available module definitions anyway. Create a bookmark in your browser to quickly find your favorite module.)
  • add "Hub Scripts" feature (the DCS-BIOS Hub can now run Lua scripts that can remap commands and outputs depending on the active aircraft)

I will post a quick demo of the new "Hub Scripts" feature in a separate thread today and hope to add a few more examples on the weekend.

Note that this update removes the experimental, undocumented "inputmap.txt" remapping feature.

Please open separate threads for questions.

You are playing a blinder here m8, many thanks for update, still kinda flying in the shadows here, was gone for so long, it's like learning DCS-bios from scratch. Promise you, I will catch up. Thank you for sticking with it m8, you don't know how much some of us appreciate your work. :thumbup:

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

+1 :thumbup:

You are playing a blinder here m8, many thanks for update, still kinda flying in the shadows here, was gone for so long, it's like learning DCS-bios from scratch. Promise you, I will catch up. Thank you for sticking with it m8, you don't know how much some of us appreciate your work. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Guys, looking at the improvements made by this, assuming that you are only driving gauges and LCD displays and are using the likes of Leo Bodnar's USB boards for switch and potentiometer inputs, does this mean that potentially we can negate the need for an RS485 network? Win 10 supports up to 256 COM ports, and even at the top end of the scale I can't see more than 50 ports being used

Cheers for all the work!

Les

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have installed DCS - Bios hub. I have a problem though.

Given that I have neither arduino nor other similar devices. In the pc I installed both DCS stable and DCS OpemBeta. But when I install DCS-Bios as a connection it only shows me dcs world stable.

How can I manually enter the OpenBeta too ??

• 2 months later...
I have installed DCS - Bios hub. I have a problem though.

Given that I have neither arduino nor other similar devices. In the pc I installed both DCS stable and DCS OpemBeta. But when I install DCS-Bios as a connection it only shows me dcs world stable.

How can I manually enter the OpenBeta too ??

DCS Bios is great but the install routine leaves a lot to be desired!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

So I am completely confused. I have tried to update the DCS Bios with the new A-10 info but without some sort of instructions, it becomes an exercise in futility. I have read all of the installation instructions I can find, searched the Forum and TRIED to connect to the discord channel , which discord cannot find for some reason. I am sure this is basically user error, but do not know where else to look, If I tried to update DCS Bios in scripts, the version available does not seem to include the updates for the A-10C 2. Suggestions would be appreciated.

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

HUB and Flightpanel Fork BIOS are updated for A-10C II

Sir, can you provide a list of deltas between A-10C and A-10C 2 commands (changed or added signals in DCS-BIOS) ?

So its easyer to see if or what panels have to be re-programmed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]