Users in mainland China have terrible multiplayer experience

overpro

According to my friends and my own statistics, we are always suffering these issues:

1. Unable to login to multiplayer, after entered username and password and click Login, it stuck at the login page.

2. unable to connect to master server.

3. Server Ping Timeout, it will always happens with no exception, some times it happens after 5 mins since I join the server, but some times it happens 30 mins or 1 hour later. If the server are located in mainland China it may even worse! I'm pretty sure that our network quality is the worst in the world, we have 3 major ISPs: China Unicome, China Telecom and China Mobile but the interconnection between them are terrible. This is how I found out: I have a TS server installed on my PC and by inspecting the connected peoples network statistics, I can see that the average packet lost is around 5%~15%. So if I setup a DCSW server and ask friends in China to join, there are 30% of the chances that they are even unable to see my server or they can't join the server connect by IP.

If we connect to foreign servers, the situation might be a little bit better but the lag is worse ( > 300ms ).

Well, as you may know, China gov has some very powerful devices dubbed "The Great Firewall - GFW", tailored to internet censorship, this may set another layer of complexity to the situation. Make the case worse.mad.gif

We have a bunch of people would like to have some fun on DCSW multiplayer every weekend but it always end up with frustrating on login to multiplayer or lost connection to the server, we have to use two hours to figure out which server is suitable for most of the people, and after we connected and ready to takeoff, someone suddenly lost connection: "Server ping timeout", or "master server connection lost"

WHAT THE HECK(****)? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

If someone have the chance to visit China I'd recommend to have the try on multiplayer.

I'm sure you will have the impulse to smash the keyboard or monitor.

We have the DCS A-10C since 2010 and it's good in terms of single player, but multiplayer? NO, IT SUCKS, I can't feel it's improvement on the connection stability during the last 5 years. Every time the news letter said it is improved, we update but still suffer the same: connection lost ... connection lost ... connection lost

Does ED really care about the multiplayer stability?

overpro = I'm not good at Nintendo Mario and always get "Game over" pretty fast, so over~~pro

There is nothing ED can do that will fix your issues if it is on the network side rather than netcode in the game.

Do you notice this problem in other games that are sensitive to lag/loss? Such as first person shooters... You may also want to try something like pingplotter to see where your issue is happening.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

There is nothing ED can do that will fix your issues if it is on the network side rather than netcode in the game.

Do you notice this problem in other games that are sensitive to lag/loss? Such as first person shooters... You may also want to try something like pingplotter to see where your issue is happening.

Well, I just tried pingplotter on master.digitalcombatsimulator.com,

attachment.php?attachmentid=115350&stc=1&d=1426996482

I have no idea why the packet lost is so high after *.mia.seabone.net

178_33_39_35.png.87c648352fc8435d5bc068710c45ee66.png

overpro = I'm not good at Nintendo Mario and always get "Game over" pretty fast, so over~~pro

I was always told by various game server managers to try and get a better ping path is to contact my ISP company and to talk to the more technical oriented people to try and get a better connection.

How about LAN parties in your country, do you get better results, than trying to connect to the DCS MP Server List?

I recently changed from a bonded DSL connection from my telephone company with frequent server disconnects caused by one leg dropping out, to cable tv broadband. The difference is day and night better and faster.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I just tried pingplotter on master.digitalcombatsimulator.com,

attachment.php?attachmentid=115350&stc=1&d=1426996482

I have no idea why the packet lost is so high after *.mia.seabone.net

ooof.... yea that is not good. The only suggestion I have is (if your ISP won't do anything for you) maybe is a decent VPN service (there are free ones but they aren't as good)... that way you can sorta control what direction your path takes.

Other thing to be aware of is ICMP packets are very low priority so they are often dropped, but I think this is real packet loss... but even tracing back toward you I get a lot of packet loss once I hit the 219.158.102.97 IP... it could be anything from a dirty link taking errors (due to high-low light levels, etc) to over-utilization.

As I said before... nothing ED can really do other than have another server closer to you.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

As I said before... nothing ED can really do other than have another server closer to you.

That's what Steam/WOT did.

Intercontinental TCP connections are short-lived.

ED should setup a master mirror, Asia-side of the Asia-US undersea optical cable.

That's what Steam/WOT did.

Intercontinental TCP connections are short-lived.

ED should setup a master mirror, Asia-side of the Asia-US undersea optical cable.

It would be great if ED can setup a master mirror in Asia, maybe in Japan or Korea or even in China. Anyway it would take a long time ( +oo ) I believe.

For now, the VPN might be a practical workaround, and I also checked Wtfast, but it's a little bit expensive, with that price I can even setup a VPS by myself.

It would be great if ED can setup a master mirror in Asia, maybe in Japan or Korea or even in China. Anyway it would take a long time ( +oo ) I believe.

For now, the VPN might be a practical workaround, and I also checked Wtfast, but it's a little bit expensive, with that price I can even setup a VPS by myself.

VPN is the solution for client only.

If server login master server by VPN, clients will see the VPNed IP in the MP server list, not the true server IP.

Clients will fail to connect the VPNed IP or have big ping values.

If server has problem connecting to master, it will be VERY unstable, forget MP experience.

VPN is the solution for client only.

If server login master server by VPN, clients will see the VPNed IP in the MP server list, not the true server IP.

Clients will fail to connect the VPNed IP or have big ping values.

If server has problem connecting to master, it will be VERY unstable, forget MP experience.

Yes, I'm talking about the VPN for the user, and have no plan to use VPN for the server.