[No Bug] No FFB default settings

Flagrum

If the Hawk is installed the very first time (or after a complete cleanup) so that no control mappings exist in Saved Games, force feedback joysticks do not function properly - they remain limp as there are no forces applied.

See also here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140873

Probable cause: in ...\Mods\aircraft\Hawk\Input\Joystick\default.lua the declaration of the default settings for FFB is missing. Users can work around this by changing the settings manually in DCS so that the values are then saved into the respective .lua.diff in Saved Games, but to make FFB functional "out of the box", a section like

forceFeedback = {

trimmer = 1.0,

shake = 0.5,

swapAxes = false,

invertX = false,

invertY = false,

},

is missing in the default.lua.

I found slightly different workaround for that problem.

Changing “trimmer force” in settings from default value (100) to any other (I use 99) makes FFB work. Changing it back to 100 makes stick limp again.

Problem exists only in Hawk module, logitech G940 stick.

Рожденный ползать летит недолго.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought this so just trying to get it going correctly for the first time.

FFB doesn't work for me either - MSFF2.

I've tried changing the values in settings and tried inserting the Forcefeedback section into the default.lua file and neither works. I can change values in settings and they get saved but no forces at all. FFB works correctly with all my other DCS modules so definitely something to do with the Hawk setup.

Also the Landing Gear up and down commands are not working but the Landing Gear toggle is.

The Trim functions also don't appear to be working when assigned to keys.

Cheers

Silver

Edited by silvergh0st

Trim functions are working correctly - I am using Rotary Encoders and the effect was too gradual to be clear but now established that they do work as they should.

Most of the light functions will not switch lights off but do switch them on.

Still missing bindings for Heading, Course, Barometric pressure adjustment ie for use with rotary encoders.

Cheers

Silver

Edited by silvergh0st

• 1 year later...

Big disappointment for me as well that we have no force feedback with the Hawk. I use MSFF2 joystick.

Love the force feedback with the Spitfire, Mustang and Mig-15, etc.

I don't fly the Hawk any more as no joy with no force feedback; my grandson likes to fly the Hawk though, although he likes to fly the Red Arrow version and is disappointed that there is no smoke for aerobatics.

I hope we have force feedback for the P40 or that will be dead as a Dodo too.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

56RAF_Talisman

Spitfire! 'That's no aircraft, that's a bleedin' angel'

We've repeated our position on FFB a few times. Currently no members of the team use FFB and as the technology is essentially legacy and outdated we have no plans to dedicate support for it for either Hawk or P-40.

Pman

Hi Pman,

I would strongly urge VEAO to reconsider this position; I can tell you immediately of three members of my squad alone who have reneged on inclinations to buy the Hawk based soley on the lack of FFB implementation or promise therof, and will forgo the P-40 similarly.

I for one am a Sidewinder FFB2 user, and the lack of any stick tensioning force is a primary reason that I rarely get into the Hawk these days. It's not just that there's no dynamic stiffening or buffet effects, it's that there is no resistance at all. It would be like trying to use a conventional stick with the springs removed, it will not naturally centre and flops around under it's own weight. It's an unpleasent and unedifying flight sim experience.

It may well be legacy tech but a great number of people (myself included) chase these things down and keep spares and to keep the things going, as the feedback, particularly for riding stall buffets in the WW2 birds, is simply brilliant. No other product comes close. As long as they survive (and mine is 15 years old) people will be using them and I would suggest that it is not good business sense to limit your business market, because people will - and already are - denuding you of sales based on this.

I purchased the P-40 and, whilst wanting to proffer my continuing support and hoping for a re-consideration on VEAOs part on this matter, did not ask for a refund during the period allotted. Hearing you say definitively that P-40 will have no FFB support makes me question that decision, sadly, as I will likely not fly the P-40 regularly.

But the knock on is the long term - it similarly will define any further purchases. If VEAO continue to offer modules without at least providing sufficient FFB output to provide at the very least stick tensioning then I will too have to eschew them.

I've met you a couple times at Duxford, and know Rock reasonably well - I have a spare FFB (with an albeit intermittent trigger microswitch) and would happily loan it to VEAO for a duration if it could be used to activate at the very least stick tensioning force, if not the full dynamic stick tensioning or buffet effects.

I think most FFB users would be happier with that solution than the current and you would lose less sales to it.

PM me and let me know if you'd like to follow up on my suggestion.

PS - FFB is not dead btw; take a look at this offering for Warthog users: https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-joystick/

You may need a remortgage, but I know that for a microsecond I was trying to consider how much I could get for one of my kidneys.....

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Hi Pman,

I would strongly urge VEAO to reconsider this position; I can tell you immediately of three members of my squad alone who have reneged on inclinations to buy the Hawk based soley on the lack of FFB implementation or promise therof, and will forgo the P-40 similarly.

I for one am a Sidewinder FFB2 user, and the lack of any stick tensioning force is a primary reason that I rarely get into the Hawk these days. It's not just that there's no dynamic stiffening or buffet effects, it's that there is no resistance at all. It would be like trying to use a conventional stick with the springs removed, it will not naturally centre and flops around under it's own weight. It's an unpleasent and unedifying flight sim experience.

It may well be legacy tech but a great number of people (myself included) chase these things down and keep spares and to keep the things going, as the feedback, particularly for riding stall buffets in the WW2 birds, is simply brilliant. No other product comes close. As long as they survive (and mine is 15 years old) people will be using them and I would suggest that it is not good business sense to limit your business market, because people will - and already are - denuding you of sales based on this.

I purchased the P-40 and, whilst wanting to proffer my continuing support and hoping for a re-consideration on VEAOs part on this matter, did not ask for a refund during the period allotted. Hearing you say definitively that P-40 will have no FFB support makes me question that decision, sadly, as I will likely not fly the P-40 regularly.

But the knock on is the long term - it similarly will define any further purchases. If VEAO continue to offer modules without at least providing sufficient FFB output to provide at the very least stick tensioning then I will too have to eschew them.

I've met you a couple times at Duxford, and know Rock reasonably well - I have a spare FFB (with an albeit intermittent trigger microswitch) and would happily loan it to VEAO for a duration if it could be used to activate at the very least stick tensioning force, if not the full dynamic stick tensioning or buffet effects.

I think most FFB users would be happier with that solution than the current and you would lose less sales to it.

PM me and let me know if you'd like to follow up on my suggestion.

PS - FFB is not dead btw; take a look at this offering for Warthog users: https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-joystick/

You may need a remortgage, but I know that for a microsecond I was trying to consider how much I could get for one of my kidneys.....

I agree with this. I and a lot of others collect FFB sticks for use and purchase second hand. I have my personal stock of fully working second hand FFB sticks in the cupboard. When FFB sticks make more of a comeback this could leave VEAO high and dry. A lot of folks still use FFB sticks. With no FFB effects from VEAO it looks like their aircraft are not on my shopping list any more. I had been planning to purchase the P40 and had high hopes for the Spit XIV, but no more :((

Other aircraft model makers for DCS provide the immersive qualities of FFB for customers and for that I am extremely grateful; the Spit IX, Mustang and Mig-15 are particularly enjoyable with FFB. Thank heavens other flight simulations do too.

Sincerely hope that VEAO may change their mind about this in the future. Until then it is no longer worth me keeping up with this section of the forum.

Good luck VEAO.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

56RAF_Talisman

Spitfire! 'That's no aircraft, that's a bleedin' angel'

Well, if you take my squad as a straw poll, and I am the only regular poster of them here, of the 17 DCSers among them, 5 use MS Sidewinder FFB2, so 29%.

Now, not saying you should apply that globally by any means but even half of that figure is ~15%, which is nowt to be sniffed at commercially. Even if it were only 10 or 5, you should arguably be considering it as every sale is a positive.

I have a feeling it's not the most difficult thing to implement but it will be very much appreciated.

SimFFB can run in the background if you need FFB on the MS FFB2, so I found this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2419366&postcount=152

This would be my recommendation if you need some fundamental support for whatever reason.

No one in the development team uses a FFB through choice so we have no first hand experience with them and although I appreciate the offer of lending a stick we would have to pull people off working on other things to have a look at it and realistically that is just not going to happen I am afraid.

Until FFB makes a return, if ever, to the mainstream we have no plans for FFB development, only then would we reassess the need for dedicated FFB support for our work.

Pman

Edited by Pman