Tacan and the miles.

Holmer

Hallo fellow airsimmers.

i have begun the art of AAR and in that case im getting pretty good at it. i have one problem though.

when i punch in Tacan and press it on HSI it simply wont show me the miles to target in the left upperconrer? it stays with a white line over it ? what is going on there ?

My procedue is:

Put in tacan number. and turn the knot to A/AT/R (the beacon comes on)

Push the TCN to feed my HSI

put in the VHF number and call the tanker to let them know im inboune.

I then follow the direktion until i hit the tanker (figurativ speaking)

at no point in this procedue will the distance in miles Show. it stays locked with a white bar over it... ?

my startup procedue is good and im aligened and everything...

best regards -Holmer

Ok, here's what I do:

- Turn on the TACAN

- Tune the TACAN frequency. for example 01X

- Turn the knob to A/A T/R since you are going to refuel (otherwise to TR)

- check whether you are closer to the tanker than 150 miles (by asking the AWACS or just knowing it by using your map)

- check whether you can hear some beeping. It is morse code, as usual

- on your front panel (NMSP panel to be precise) select TCN as navigation source

If you are in range the pointer should now point to the tanker, and the distance should be shown.

Also check this out (not concerning refueling, but pretty cool and related to TACAN):

http://www.mudspike.com/how-to-use-the-air-to-air-tacan-in-dcs-a-10c/

Edited by Aginor

Short answer:

If tacan is on a Y channel it will not show distance, if on a X channel it should, if not showing on X channel then must be bug.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Short answer:

If tacan is on a Y channel it will not show distance, if on a X channel it should, if not showing on X channel then must be bug.

I was not aware of that ... that there is a functional difference. Can you explain why? Or do you have a link with more info?

hmm this becomes more and more strange... it will show me the miles to waypoint if i go to strp but not when i push the TCN...to go for the tanker

its different misions ... feels like all... and iv tryed both...

mission= kashuris gate.

tanker is on 150 vfh and 40X

i cant get it to show me miles...only direction. :(

I think it's a bug

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Sorry guys I was going from memory, and thought I had read this at sometime in my learning experience.:book:

I have tried to find the source of my information and it would seem I was incorrect as I can't find anything on it now, and reading a few tacan manuals show that X or Y channels should indeed show bearing and range information.:doh:

My Bad

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Sorry guys I was going from memory, and thought I had read this at sometime in my learning experience.:book:

I have tried to find the source of my information and it would seem I was incorrect as I can't find anything on it now, and reading a few tacan manuals show that X or Y channels should indeed show bearing and range information.:doh:

My Bad

Regards, Ian.

Thanks, np. I was just wondering if my own mind is beginning to play tricks on me ... ;o)

The only difference between X and Y i am aware of (iirc) is that one is used for ground based stations while the other is usually(?) used for airborne systems (but can remember which is used for what). No clue if that is just a formal convention or if there are some technical peculiarities behind it, but from the perspective of us "users" of a tacan station it makes no real difference.

mission= kashuris gate.

tanker is on 150 vfh and 40X

i cant get it to show me miles...only direction. :(

Confirmed. I took the opportunity to fly the mission and I would only get the direction to the tanker, but never the range. I also never heard the TACAN signal even when I was directly behind the tanker.

In a refueling test mission of mine with the tanker on 43X everything works fine, so I can only guess that in this particular mission something might be broken.

I tested in the current 1.2.16.

Edit: From a quick look at the two missions (A-10C Khashuri Gap and my refueling training mission) I see no major differences between the way the tankers are set up. Weird.

Edited by Yurgon

please upload and link a trackfile

Reasonable request, but I think if you just fly the mission yourself, you can easily check whether the same problem happens on your end. The mission begins with a player-led 4-ship flight ready for take-off (and a tanker spawning in the air), so it shouldn't take much more than 5 minutes to check it out.

Here are two tracks, both freshly recorded in 1.2.16. Both take only about one minute.

One is from the stock single player mission "Khashuri Gap", the other from an old AAR training mission of mine. I edited my training mission to start from the runway just as Khashuri Gap does.

In mine, TACAN shows range right from the start, in Khashuri Gap it doesn't (and when I last flew the mission, TACAN never showed the range even while I was right behind the tanker).

I also tried to save Khasuri Gap.miz in the ME but that didn't change anything.

Yurgon_Khashuri_Gap_TACAN_Troubles.trk

Yurgon_Refueling_Test_TACAN_Okay.trk

Yep, same here. I tried Khashuri Gap and Shooting Gallery, couldn't get range in either.

Edited by spiddx

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Confirmed. I took the opportunity to fly the mission and I would only get the direction to the tanker, but never the range. I also never heard the TACAN signal even when I was directly behind the tanker.

In a refueling test mission of mine with the tanker on 43X everything works fine, so I can only guess that in this particular mission something might be broken.

I tested in the current 1.2.16.

Edit: From a quick look at the two missions (A-10C Khashuri Gap and my refueling training mission) I see no major differences between the way the tankers are set up. Weird.

Since I have been correcting a lot of missions lately. the tacan in my version of Kashuri gap works fine, shows distance and bearing correctly and did a refuel test in single player with out a problem, still works in multiplay also.

Tested with DCS 1.2.16 in mp and sp, also tested on 40Y channel with out issues.

A lot of the problems are possible in the advanced waypoint settings for the tanker flight, they should read as follows, and even if they do read exactly like this, reselect the refueling task for the flight and setup the 40x frequency again in the tacan setting and make sure it has a callsign set.

• Tanker -a
  • Activate TACAN (BRG, 40X, "TKR") -a
  • Set Frequency (150)

If Activate TACAN doesn't have a call sign set, ie

• Activate TACAN (BRG, 40X, "") -a
  • or
  • Activate TACAN (BRG, 40X, "")

you will not hear the tacan beeps (a bug I assume), but the distance still displays fine.

If other older missions are used they will read more like this and may cause the distance to not show to tanker and or not have the tacan beeps.

• Tanker
  • Activate TACAN (BRG, 40X, "")
  • Set Frequency (150)

Regards, Ian.

Khashuri Gap - fixed tanker.zip

Edited by MadDog-IC
added fixed mission so others might try to see it works for them
  • Like 1

DCS Tech Support.

Since I have been correcting a lot of missions lately. the tacan in my version of Kashuri gap works fine, shows distance and bearing correctly and did a refuel test in single player with out a problem, still works in multiplay also. [...]

Great post, thx! :thumbup:

I can confirm that the tanker TACAN works fine in your version of the mission.

I tried to edit (a copy of) my stock mission, which lacks the "TKR" callsign. After adding that, I could hear the beeps but it still wouldn't show the distance.

I was able to solve the problem by editing the Tanker's advanced waypoint actions; once I set the "Perform Command" action to something different and then set it back to "Activate TACAN" it worked fine, including beeps and range (and this also automatically added the "TKR" callsign).

From my observations, there's got to be something not visible in the ME GUI that's being set "in the background" when the advanced waypoint Perform Command action is set to "Activate TACAN".

I guess someone at ED should simply edit all stock missions in this way to make sure that they're working fine with the next release.