90+ frames/sec - overkill?

Nice Info. DTWD I learned a lot in that post.

+1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Thank you the for the information, DTWD. Very informative post. Since I only play single player (for now), my fps experience is probably very different from those of you playing MP. My rig specs do not match those of King_Hrothgar's - Intel I5 4690k (oc'd to 4.5 GHz), 8 GB ram, SSD, GTX 970) but still more than plenty for DCS. I might eat my words once I'm comfortable enough to delve into multiplayer, though!

Another thumbs up for DTWD. Single player here, but after reading post above, I decided to test this strange "adaptive" thingy I knew absolutely nothing about. Both DCS and CloD seem to be a bit less stuttery over hardware intensive locations where my frames were dropping below 60. Not much, but still. Whether this option is really working on my machine or it's a placebo effect, I don't know, but I like it :D. In the neverending quest for smoothness, every little bit helps.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Having your GPU put out more FPS than your monitor can display might also cause them to run hotter for no benefit. Setting Vsync on and limiting them to your monitors rate is better.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Also ensure that the game does not have Vsync enabled as well as the graphics card set to adaptive.

If you use track IR then reset triple frame buffer to off as this is useless with trackerIR.

If you have a TN monitor and it has a refresh of 60 hz then overclock it to 70 or 75 hz as generally the game runs below 75 hz and you will see less tearing.

Give it a go.. costs nought.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

TN is SMOOOOOTH.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Tn allows instantaneous input feedback and not just good looks.

My experience with Adaptive AA in DCS is that it works very well.

Some games it doesn't seem to work as good but in DCS it's excellent.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Sweet. enjoy!

when i play quake the first time in 1999, i know some world champion will tweak their hardware and software to run 300 fps in quake. later i played quake 3, which is still one of the best pc games in history, every pro-player would identify the differences between 30/60/90/120/144 fps due to game engine mechanics.

from that on, i can easily tell the diffs of some stages of framerates in almost any game. and in some games, the final images are rendered in high framerates like 60 or more, but the game mechanics like model animation was done by low framerates like 30 or lower, i still can tell the diffs easily. now i can tell the diffs of a movie made in 24/30 fps or 60fps, haven't seen any movie or cartoon made more than 60 fps.

but it's different in real-time 3d rendering, 60 will be very good for most games, for some very fast paced first person shooters and racing sims, you can easily tell the diffs between 60 and 90 or more. once you adapted to very high frame rates, you will never go back.

guys ahead said you won't find any diffs with higher fps cause monitor is 60hz. that's incorrect. when we talk about fps, that may mean: 1. first person shooter. 2. frame rates per second. 3. fart processing system. obviously when we talk about dcs fps we mean the images our graphic cards can render in every one second. this makes how we feel about the fluence of the game itself.

you may run the game very fast at 60 or higher fps, but try set your monitor refresh rate to 30hz or 24hz, you can feel the diffs. it's totally different between 1. running game @60 fps or higher but with very low display refresh rate like 30hz or lower. 2. running game @30 fps or lower but with very high display refresh rate like 60hz or 144hz. just try it out yourself can feel it yourself.

why? when we talk about fps, we mean frame rendered by your pc in every one second. when we talk about 60hz or 30hz, we are talking about the moving circle to show one full visible image of every single liquid crystal molecule in the display panel of every monitors. it's like a car howling towards you and you instinctively closed your eyes before you get hit. you may only see two sets of contiguous images of the car in your brain's image processing unit, but the cars movement is constant between the first sight you see it and the last sight when you get hit by it.

so they are just two different concepts. and that's why you may see image tearing and why pc graphics technology providers like Intel, ATi and NVIDIA and many others introduces v-sync many years ago, to synchronize every single frame your pc rendered with every single visualization circle of your display panel.

many companies offer 144hz high speed LCD displays now, i personally advice you to get one if you are a hardcore pc gamer especially for arena tournament shooter players and race simmers. for flight simmers, i prefer huge sized display with QHD resolution like 4K (3820x2160) or even 8K

RTX 3070