DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video Series

Ranger79

Hello everyone, I get alot of questions about mission building and different ways I create missions in DCS. I am making a series of tutorial videos for the DCS World Mission Editor for a novice user to understand and implement to help create a successful mission from start to finish. I hope these videos help the community and spawn members to make missions for DCS which will hopefully enhance the DCS experience for everyone.

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #1: Getting Started

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #2: Mission Editor Interface

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #3: Unit Placement

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #4: Trigger Movement & Vehicle Movement

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #5: Add Radio Item & Mission Goals

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #6: Randomization & Emission Trigger

DCS World Mission Building - Tutorial Video #7: Mission Testing and Final Adjustments

*** This is a remake to correct the previous corrupted upload***

DCS World Mission Building Quickie Tutorial - Converting Voice Files for DCS

Ok guys, added the test mission from the video, 3 A-10C slots. Please leave your comments and questions below.

Operation Takeback MPv7.miz

Edited by Ranger79
  • Like 5

Awesome work Ranger79!

This can only help get more people to make more missions and make this sim the best in the world!

Loved your intro screen but your voice seemed lower (I had to turn up the volume to hear you). Your speech was very clear though so easy to understand.

Loved your graphics and I'm glad you focused on context and background for the first tutorial.

Mission making is more an art than a science and you did a good job capturing some of the art essence.

There are not enough good mission making tutorials out there. I've posted a reference on our blog here.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next episode. :thumbup:

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

very very very cool of you to do this ranger. +1 buddy.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Excellent video. It might be worth emphasizing just how much time making adjustments / testing / bug fixing takes. Even for a "simple" SP mission I often find that tweaking unit placements, fixing mistakes with triggers & scripting, error handling for unexpected behaviour by the player(s) can all take 2-10 times as long as it takes for the initial mission creation phase.

AWESOME briefing that you showed for your mission! Was that a Powerpoint presentation? I thought my briefings were good but that's on a whole different level!

Very much looking forward to this series of videos, have subscribed to the channel.

+1 rep to you Sir.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thanks guys for the positive comments, Video #2 is posted on first post, quick overview of the Mission Editor Interface. Video #3 will be out tonight as well going over unit placement.

Edited by Ranger79
  • Like 1

Excellent video. It might be worth emphasizing just how much time making adjustments / testing / bug fixing takes. Even for a "simple" SP mission I often find that tweaking unit placements, fixing mistakes with triggers & scripting, error handling for unexpected behaviour by the player(s) can all take 2-10 times as long as it takes for the initial mission creation phase.

AWESOME briefing that you showed for your mission! Was that a Powerpoint presentation? I thought my briefings were good but that's on a whole different level!

Very much looking forward to this series of videos, have subscribed to the channel.

+1 rep to you Sir.

Thanks man, yeah that was a powerpoint presentation, I converted it to pdf awhile ago, its located HERE

Thanks man, yeah that was a powerpoint presentation, I converted it to pdf awhile ago, its located HERE

Very impressive. Years ago I used to do briefings of a sort as a day job and I very much liked yours: concise, to the point and engaging for the reader.

I've got a MS Office subscription and I wondered about PPT briefings but I decided that more people would have some form of .pdf reader on their PC / iPad / Tablet so I decided to convert my word briefings to .pdf for distribution with my mission files. Personally I like to have a separate mission briefing, even if it's just a cut & past from the DCS in-game briefing, next to me on my tablet as I fly as a sort of quick reference and expanded knee pad. Having a nice briefing to go with a mission definitely adds a bit to the immersion I think. I wish that DCS allowed higher resolution images for briefings. Being limited to 512x512 is a bit poor these days, but I guess that's a different discussion.

Off to watch the next video.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Looks like I was beaten to it. Good job putting these together, I'll try to take a look and give feedback later, though now is a bad time as I'm actually in the middle of moving.

I'd suggest asking a mod to sticky this. There are always tons of questions that I'm sure these vids will answer.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Tutorial Video #3 - Unit Placement has been posted on the main post. Video #4 - Trigger Actions & Vehicle Movement is rendering and should be available in the next few hours. Enjoy.

Let me be one of the first to say THANK YOU!!! I haven't had a chance to view the video yet but being familiar with your talents in the past I know this series will be nothing but the best. I am looking forward to the opportunity to finally get some good training with this program and I am excited to think that it will generate more high quality missions for the community in the future. :thumbsup:

Thanks Blooze!

Awesome work Ranger79!

This can only help get more people to make more missions and make this sim the best in the world!

Loved your intro screen but your voice seemed lower (I had to turn up the volume to hear you). Your speech was very clear though so easy to understand.

Loved your graphics and I'm glad you focused on context and background for the first tutorial.

Mission making is more an art than a science and you did a good job capturing some of the art essence.

There are not enough good mission making tutorials out there.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next episode. :thumbup:

Thanks Saber, I adjusted the volume in the next couple of videos, hope that helps.

Absolutely cool. This will help newcomers tremendously.

Good explanations, starting from scratch and also covering more than just the "click icon a, press button x" type of tutorials.

We have the ones from VJS161 Fire in the German part of the Forum, but to have these for the international community is really great!

Thanks a lot.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey Ranger79 - thanks for the videos. I'm fairly proficient with the ME but I've watched a few of them as I figured I might pick up a tip or two, which I have. I just finished your #6 video - I like your twisted sense of humor :). Oh, BTW, you could have also just put one CAP Trigger right between the two hangars and that would have caught them regardless of if they went west or east on the taxi way :).

Are you going to add any more videos for some basic Lua scripting? That's something I'm trying to read up on now, but haven't quite wrapped my head around the best way to do things just yet.

Thanks again.

Relent

Edited by 609_Relentov

Hey Ranger79 - thanks for the videos. I'm fairly proficient with the ME but I've watched a few of them as I figured I might pick up a tip or two, which I have. I just finished your #6 video - I like your twisted sense of humor :). Oh, BTW, you could have also just put one CAP Trigger right between the two hangars and that would have caught them regardless of if they went west or east on the taxi way :).

Are you going to add any more videos for some basic Lua scripting? That's something I'm trying to read up on now, but haven't quite wrapped my head around the best way to do things just yet.

Thanks again.

Relent

Thanks for the kind words. I will look into making some lua scripting videos, but I just do basic lua so I dont have to fix too much between patches.

I can't state in more complete terms how awesome these videos are. I have avoided making any attempt to produce missions because I don't have an adequate understanding of the ME interface or mechanics. Many thanks for going to the trouble of producing these.

Noobs like myself will learn so much!

Cheers.

Rectum non bustus

I appreciate all the kind words fellas, I got alot more coming, going to make some Tutorial "Quickies" on various topics, first one I did was 5 mins on converting sound files for use in DCS, posted on main page. I hope these are helpful. More to come, off to the zoo with the kiddos, I will talk to my fellow simmers later. Enjoy.