2 Easy steps to master the Ka50

Reaper6

**EDIT**

92.67% of mastering the Ka50 Black Shark

Step1. Download: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/dcs_bs_manual_en/

Step 2. Read it!

The remaining 7.33% is experience flying and using what you learned completing the 2 steps above.

Reaper6

A friend squared me away, so I should have added...

This is not necessarily for the person that just bought the game. However in my opinion you should at least browse the manual to get a general idea of how to fly the Shark. Mastering the Shark is a LONG and bumpy road, but since 2009 I have never once tired of flying it. But if you strive to master the Shark, eventually you will have to read the entire manual to get a grasp of how all the systems operate. Yes, true you can just get in, auto-start, and fly around and blow things up. But I really think there are so many Shark pilots that miss so many functions about the Shark that actually benefit the pilot. Mainly the ABRIS and PVI, those two systems, once mastered will make you the most deadly Shark on the map. Learning every detail of the Shark has made me absolutely surgical in any mission, from peppering Manpads with the 30mm, to knocking F15s & SU27s(yes, that's right) out of the sky with Vikhrs. I volunteer a lot of my time to helping people to the best of my ability, whether it be a TAW member or anyone else that requires my help. I am by no means the subject matter expert when it comes to the Ka50. But any knowledge I do have, I am more than happy to pass on. I am also not a "moderator" of this forum and never claimed to be. But if someone asks a question, I try to give the best advice I can, based on the knowledge I have. Everyone has opinions, I try to respect that and I ask the same in return. So hopefully this will clarify the post a little better...

Edited by Reaper6
  • Like 2

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

If the manual is what someone wants to use, then I would recommend using the copy installed with the sim. The download has not been updated in about 6 years. The version included with the sim was updated in 2012.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I've never read the manual. It's a valid approach I suppose but a very tedious one.

I fear, you might be missing out some of the finer details then.

Tedious? Maybe for some, not necessarily for everyone. And it depends on how you read it. It is certainly not an ideal bed lecture, but I found it helpfull to read it completely at least once. Also probably not in one go, but at least that you have read each chapter once. Then practice, do tutorials, and just try out things. Then you will remember stuff that you read and which now makes more sense after some practice. Read up on specific topics then again - and you will probably be surprised to encounter new tid bits and details every time.

Why did you feel the need to post this?

"What's this button for?"

"Where is this switch?"

"How do I?"

"What is the key command for?"

99% of those questions are answered in the manual, oddly enough adobe also comes with a search function...

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

If the manual is what someone wants to use, then I would recommend using the copy installed with the sim. The download has not been updated in about 6 years. The version included with the sim was updated in 2012.

Yeah very true, I didn't have the link to their computers though.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

• ED Team

I'll point out the obvious fact that DCS is a study-level simulator. Unless someone puts it on arcade mode, if you want to learn how to employ an aircraft simulator as complex as the DCS modules, it takes a bit of reading and/or going through tutorials. That's the reality of the situation.

No one has to read the manual or do the tutorials, each user can play however they want. However, if you jump into instant action with the Black Shark on day one, and can't figure out how to start the engines, and then make a post on the forum asking someone to explain how, you're opening yourself to a little sarcasm and/or rhetorical statements. IMHO, why would I ask a question on a public forum, to which I might get 3 different & conflicting replies on how to do something, when I could look it up in the accompanying documentation that is written by the developers of the game I'm playing?

If the documentation is unclear, you can't quite understand it, or the manual/tutorials aren't up-to-date with version changes, then by all means make a forum post. Just don't start a thread by typing: "Just bought the Black Shark, started a mission, and I can't figure out why the rotors won't start spinning after I press the START button."

I can understand both sides of the argument. That's just my two cents. At the very least, let's all be civil about DCS and exercise a level of diplomacy.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

"What's this button for?"

"Where is this switch?"

"How do I?"

"What is the key command for?"

99% of those questions are answered in the manual, oddly enough adobe also comes with a search function...

Reaper6

IMO you may want to consider offering your advice to the people that have been asking you these questions during your TAW training sessions rather than the community at large. They are the ones that may actually care about your opinions.

• Like 1

Why did you feel the need to post this?

Why well way to many people flooding the multiplayer servers constantly asking basic questions that are easily answered if manual was read and training missions complete. To many call of duty folks looking for quick thrills....

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Why... To many call of duty folks looking for quick thrills....

I am going to hazard a guess that those same people, that aren't reading the manual, aren't reading the forum either.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

IMO you may want to consider offering your advice to the people that have been asking you these questions during your TAW training sessions rather than the community at large. They are the ones that may actually care about your opinions.

Yes thank you for the advice, I will leave the forums to the professionals....

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

As long iam doing online Trainings. My trainees are always overwhelmed in how to handle the KA-50.

Some more some less and some need to Change their T-shirts during a simple Flight training session.

The major proplem is Multitasking.

It is in direct conflict with laziness. Most prior fixedwing pilots have huge proplems with that.

In the end i just need to write down here. There is a WILL needed to fly the shark. Otherwise it will start to flying you. :)

Edit: @ Reaper6

You should not do Online Trainings if you do not like to do Online Trainings.

Iam doing so for some years now, and i had trainees which have started with asking me how to plugin the Joystick and how to map it correctly in the options menu. And this more than once.

I have no proplem with such kind of trainees anymore but i remember once i have been at the same point where you are now.

Just dont stop and be patient ...... very patient ;)

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Well gents, hate to spoil it for you but, it was Colonel Muster, in the study, with the spork! RTFM its in there, or maybe i misinterpreted it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

This whole argument is pretty two faced. You will have to read a bit in the manual for any of the modules at one point in time, still a lot of newcomers to DCS will not realize this immediately and look for help and directions.

I agree, being asked for the very basics can be a bit tedious, yet a little pointer to a manual page, checklist or video tutorial isn't that difficult and can help a newbie a lot.

I always assume people ask for help, because they have trouble to find the answers themselves... For whatever reason. So if I can spare the time and now a hint or two, I give it away freely.

Nobody is forced to answer questions, nobody needs to answer every PM or do an Instructor's job. It is your own grown up decision.

For me it is a good thing, that community members help each other, as we are in a very niche of game playing society, mostly grown ups, and dedicated or fascinated by military flying.

The whole community help thingy is part of keeping this niche alive or even make it expand...

A friendly(!) RTFM with a pointer to the page in question does not hurt. Nor does a well considered "please do the basic training missions and tutorials, first, at least until you know how to startup the engines, we will cover it from there" never have I had a newcomer being offended by such advice.

A general "RTFM, stupid! This isn't HAWX!" on the other hand does not help, nor is it polite...

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I have attended training sessions given by Reaper and he has always conducted himself in a very professional manner and has demonstrated a great deal of patience. The training and his conduct is a credit to himself and the TAW group. He clearly wants his students to succeed. No, I am not a member of TAW and have been a guest attending the training. I look forward to the remaining classes and thank him for his time. I feel compelled to defend him out of a sense of gratitude. I think he's being treated harshly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I can only second what jcbak has said above regarding TAW online training sessions.

Reaper6 has been the personification of patience during the training. I don't think there have been any RTFM type questions at all (unless maybe they were mine! :smilewink:).

I am also a guest at the training sessions and am looking forward to those remaining.

jagsaw

Basically if the question is how do I turn on the DC batteries... or start up the Engine, then yeah, the answer has gotsta be:

"read the manual" or "watch the online start up vidies"!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I bought Blackshark 1 CD version way back in 2011, I installed it and eagerly waiting to fly my first serious sim only to be bitterly disappointed that I could not control the helicopter, I don't even think I got off the ground. Didn't bother looking for instructions/manual, so in the draw the CD went.

A year or so later I came across it again and thought I would look up the makers of the game, Eagle Dynamics to see if I could find some more info on the game, that's when I saw the letters DCSW, long story short, downloaded DCSW,read tons of stuff on this forum, found the manual and even bought a hard copy (Lulu.com) very nice, upgraded to BS2 and off I went. With the manual not that far away from me and the forum at my finger tips I have never had to ask how to fly th Ka-50 yet.

Read, practice, read, practice, practice, practice, I have to at my age it takes longer to store.

P.S. I would love to join Reaper6 in one of his training sessions one day when I think I am confident enough.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

But I would like to add to this that reading a PDF and reading a physical paper manual are two different things.

I truly do not know why ED does not cash in on paper manuals.

When I started DCS I immediately bought the spiral bound black shark manual and it is now a seriously dog eared manual.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Sorry as Mondaysoff said. Posted at the same time and he generally says it all.